2014년 12월 22일 월요일

Captain Ravenshaw 5

Captain Ravenshaw 5

The captain snapped his pipe in two, and flung the pieces to the
ground; then turned toward the evening sky, in which a numerous
company of stars now twinkled, a face bitter with self-loathing.

"I am a beast," he hissed; "a slave, a scavenger, a raker of rags, fit
company for the dead curs in Houndsditch. Foh! but, by God's light and
by this hand, I swear--"

He raised his hand toward the stars, and finished his oath, whatever
it was, in thought, not in speech. Then, suddenly resuming his former
mien, he turned and walked rapidly into the house.




CHAPTER VIII.

SIR PEREGRINE MEDWAY.

                            "How the roses,
  That kept continual spring within her cheeks,
  Are withered with the old man's dull embraces!"
    --_The Night-Walker._


As the captain entered, he heard some little bustle, as of an arrival.
In the lower passage, at the door leading to the kitchen, was a strange
serving-man, already on terms of banter with the cook and maids. He
was provided with a torch, as yet unlighted; evidently the guest he
attended would stay till after dark. Ravenshaw climbed the narrow
stairs to the withdrawing-room, of which the door was open.

This was a fine large room, with an oaken ceiling and oaken panelling;
with veiled pictures and veiled statues in niches; with solid chairs,
carved chests and coffers, tables covered with rich Eastern "carpets;"
with a wide window bulging out over Cheapside, and with a great,
handsome chimneypiece. The floor was strewn with clean rushes. Some
boughs burning in the fireplace gave forth a pleasant odour. A boy was
lighting the candles in the sconces.

Ravenshaw's glance took in these details at the same moment in which
it embraced the group of people in the room. The goldsmith and his
wife stood beaming, and the woman Lettice looked on at a respectful
distance, while in the centre of the room was Mistress Millicent in
the grasp of a tall, lean old gentleman in gorgeous raiment, who very
gallantly kissed both her cheeks and then both her hands.

"Sweet, sweet," this ancient gallant lisped to her, "I can see how
thou hast pined. But all is well now; I am with thee again; my leg
is mended. Thou wert not fated to lose thy Sir Peregrine for all the
ramping horses in England. So cheerily, cheerily now. Smooth thy face;
I see how thou'st grieved, and I love thee the better for it."

Mistress Millicent certainly looked far from happy; but her dejection
at that moment seemed to proceed less from any past apprehension for
the visitor's safety than from a present antipathy to his embraces. She
was pale and red by turns, and she drew back from him with much relief
the instant he released her. Her eyes met those of Ravenshaw, and she
blushed exceedingly, and looked as if she would sink out of observation.

"Come in, Master Holyday," said the goldsmith seeing the captain in
the doorway. "Come in and be known to Sir Peregrine Medway. Master
Holyday's father is an old friend of mine, that was my neighbour in
Kent."

"Holyday, Holyday," repeated Sir Peregrine, with indifferent
thoughtfulness, looking at the captain carelessly. "My first wife had
a cousin that was a Holyday, or some such name, but not of Kent. Sir,
I crave your better acquaintance," to which polite expression the old
knight gave the lie by turning from the captain as if he dismissed him
for ever from his consciousness, and offering his hand to Mistress
Etheridge to lead her to a chair.

"What withered reed of courtesy, what stockfish of gallantry, may
this be?" mused Ravenshaw, striding to a corner where he might sit
unregarded.

"You should have come hither straightway, bag and baggage," said Master
Etheridge to the old fop. "What need was there to go to the inn first?"

"Need? Oh, for shame, sir! Would you have me seen in the clothes I
travelled in? Good lack, I trow not! Thinkst thou we that live in
Berkshire know not good manners?" The knight spoke in pleasantry; it
was clear he accounted himself the mirror of politeness. "What sayst
thou, mother?"

"Oh, what you do is ever right, Sir Peregrine," replied Mistress
Etheridge, placidly. But Ravenshaw, in his corner, was almost
startled into mirth at hearing the wrinkled old visitor address the
youthful-looking matron as mother. What did it mean?

Sir Peregrine bowed, with his hand on his heart; in which motion his
eye fell upon a speck of something black upon the lower part of his
stocking. Stooping further to remove it, and striving not to bend
his knees in the action, he narrowly escaped overbalancing; and came
up red-faced and panting. Ravenshaw thought he detected in Mistress
Millicent's face a flash of malicious pleasure at the old fellow's
discomfiture. She had taken a seat by the chimneypiece, where she
seemed to be nursing a kind of suppressed fury.

The knight, after his moment of peril, dropped into a chair in rather
a tottering fashion, and sat complacently regarding his own figure and
attire.

The figure was shrugged up, and as spare as that of Don Quixote--a
person, at that time, not yet known to the world. It was dressed in a
suit of peach-colour satin, with slashes and openings over cloth of
silver; with wings, ribbons, and garters. His shoes were adorned with
great rosettes; a ribbon was tied in the love-lock hanging by his ear;
and a huge ruff compelled him to hold high a head naturally designed
to sink low between his sharp shoulders. His face, a triangle with the
forehead as base, was pallid and dried-up; the eyes were small and
streaky, the nose long and thin, the chin tipped with a little pointed
beard, which, like the up-turned moustaches and the hair of the head,
was dyed a reddish brown. On this countenance reposed a look of the
utmost sufficiency, that of a person who takes himself seriously, and
who never dreams that any one can doubt his greatness or his charms.

From the subsequent talk, it became known to Ravenshaw that Sir
Peregrine had, a few months before, been thrown by a horse on his
estate in Berkshire, and had but now recovered fully from the effects.
The knight described the accident with infinite detail, and with
supreme concern for himself, repeating the same circumstances over and
over again. He was equally particular and reiterative in his account
of his slow recovery. His auditors, making show of great attention
and solicitude, punctuated his narrative with many yawns and frequent
noddings; but on and on he lisped and cackled.

"Good lack," said he, "there was such coming and going of neighbours
for news of how I did! I never knew so much ado made in Berkshire;
faith, I lamented that I should be the cause on't, such disturbance of
the public peace, and I a justice. And what with the ladies coming in
dozens to nurse me!--troth, that they all might have a share on't, and
none be offended, I must needs be watched of three at a time--What,
sweet?" He was casting a roguish look at Mistress Millicent. "Art
vexed? Art cast down? Good lack! see how jealous it is! Fie, fie,
sweetheart! Am I to blame if the ladies would flock around me? Comfort
thyself; I am all thine."

Mistress Millicent, despite her vexation, of which the cause was other
than he assumed, could not help laughing outright. The captain began to
see how matters stood. But old Sir Peregrine was untouched by her brief
outburst of mirth, and continued to shake a finger of raillery at her.

"Sweet, sweet, ye're all alike, all womankind. My first wife was so,
and my second wife was so; and now my third that is to be."

The girl's face blazed like a poppy with fury, and her blue eyes
flashed with rebellion. She looked all the more young, and fresh, and
warm with life, for that; and when Ravenshaw glanced from her to the
colourless, shrivelled old knight--from the humid rose in its first
bloom, to the withered rush--he felt for an instant a choking sickness
of disgust. But the girl's parents remained serenely callous, and the
old coxcomb, with equal insensibility, prattled on, putting it to the
blame of nature that he should be, without intent, so much the desire
of ladies and the jealousy of his wives past and to come.

Meanwhile Mistress Etheridge, having silently left the room with the
woman Lettice, returned alone, and begged Sir Peregrine to come and
partake of a little supper. From the knight's alacrity in accepting,
it was plain he had honoured the family doubly,--first by tarrying
to change his clothes for his call, and then by not tarrying to eat
before coming to them, an additional honour that Mistress Etheridge had
divined. With courtly bows and flourishes, he followed her toward the
dining-chamber; whither he was followed in turn, for politeness' sake,
by the goldsmith, who apologised to Ravenshaw for leaving him.

Whatever were the captain's feelings, Mistress Millicent seemed glad,
or at least relieved, to be alone with him.

"I wish you joy of your coming marriage," said Ravenshaw, tentatively.

"You would as well wish me joy of my death," she replied, with a
mixture of anger and forlornness.

He rose and walked over to the fireplace, near her.

"Why, 'tis true," quoth he; "when the bride is young, the arms of an
old husband are a grave."

"Worse! When one is dead in one's grave, one knows nothing; but to be
alive in those arms--foh!"

"Your good parents will have you take this husband, I trow, whether you
will or no?"

"Yes; and I shall love them the less for it," she replied, sadly.

"Has a contract passed between you?"

"Not on my part, I can swear to that! Before Sir Peregrine went back
to Berkshire the last time, they tried to have a betrothal before
witnesses; but I let fall both the ring he wished to force upon me and
the ring I was to give him; I would not open my lips either to speak,
or to return his kiss; I held my hand back, closed tight, and he had to
take it of his own accord. And all this the witnesses noted, for they
laughed and spoke of it among themselves."

"Is the wedding-day set?"

"It may be any day, now that Sir Peregrine is well and in London. No
doubt they will get a license, to save thrice asking the banns. I hope
I may die in my sleep ere the time comes!"

"'Twere pity if that hope came true," said Ravenshaw, smiling.

"I dare not hope for a better escape. I'm not like to be favoured
again as I was the other time Sir Peregrine was coming to town for the
marriage. Then his horse threw him, and gave me a respite--but for only
three months. Now he is well again, and safe and sound in London."

"What, were you in this peril three months ago?"

"Yes. 'Twas that which made me try to run away, the night you first saw
me. The next day, instead of him, came news of his accident."

"Whither would you have run?"

"To my Uncle Bartlemy's, in Kent. You know him of course; he lives near
your father."

"Oh, yes, yes, certainly," replied the supposed Holyday.

"And you saw him that night; at least, you told me the watch had let
him go."

"What, was that your Uncle Bartlemy?--the old gentleman you were to
have met--the man my friends and I rescued from the watch!"

"I knew not 'twas you had rescued him; but 'twas he I went to meet at
the Standard. Nay, then, if 'twas Uncle Bartlemy you rescued, you would
have known him!"

"Oh, as for that," blundered Ravenshaw, realising how nearly he had
betrayed himself, "no doubt 'twas your Uncle Bartlemy, now I think
on't; but I recognised him not that night. For, look you, he took pains
to keep unknown; and all was darkness and haste; and though we are
neighbours, I see but little of him; and he is the last man I should
expect to meet in London abroad in the streets after curfew."

"That is true enough," she said, with a smile; "and I hope you will not
play the telltale upon him. If his wife knew he had been to London,
there would be an end of all peace. Sure, you must promise me not to
tell; for 'twas my pleading brought him to London."

"Oh, trust me. I give my word. So he came to help you run away from
being married to this old knight?"

"Yes. You know there's no love lost betwixt Uncle Bartlemy and my
father. But mine uncle hath doted upon me from the first, the more,
perchance, because he hath no child of his own. And I think he loves me
doubly, for the quarrel he has with my father."

"And so he had not the heart to refuse when you begged him to come and
carry you away to his house," conjectured Ravenshaw.

"'Tis so. 'Twas the only way I could devise to escape the marriage. I
thought, if all could be done by night, I might be concealed in mine
uncle's house; and even if my father should think of going there to
seek me, he could be put off with denials."

"But what would your uncle's wife have said to this?"

"Oh, Aunt Margaret is bitter against my father; she would delight to
hoodwink him. The only doubt was how mine uncle might come and take me,
without her knowing of his visit to London. For, of a truth, she would
never consent to his setting foot inside London town; and there was
no one else I dared trust to conduct me. And so we had it that Uncle
Bartlemy should feign to go to Rochester, and then, on his way home,
to have happened upon me in my flight."

"And so your aunt be none the wiser? Well, such folly deserves to be
cozened--the folly of forbidding her husband coming to London."

"Oh," replied Mistress Millicent, blushing a little as she smiled,
"my dear aunt is, in truth, as jealous as Sir Peregrine would have us
believe his wives were. There is a lady in London that Uncle Bartlemy
played servant to before he was married, and Aunt Margaret made him
promise never to come within sight of the town."

"I marvel how you laid your plans with him, without discovery of your
people or his."

"There was a carrier's man that goes betwixt London and Rochester, who
used to come courting one of our maids. We passed letters privately by
means of him, till he fell out with the maid, and now comes hither no
more. The last word I had of my uncle was after that night. He told me
of his mishap with the watch, and of his getting free--though he said
not how. And he vowed he must leave me to my fate, for he would never
venture for me again as he had done. So I was left without hope. When I
recognised you to-day as my preserver that night, and remembered that
the Holydays were my uncle's neighbours, I thought--mayhap--you might
have some message from him; but, alas--!"

"And that is why you followed me to the garden?" said the captain,
carelessly, though inwardly he winced.

"Ay. Your look seemed to promise--but woe's me! And yet you spoke of my
running away again?"

"Oh, I talked wildly. I know not what possessed me. Some things I said
must have been very strange."

"Why, forsooth," said she, smiling again, and colouring most sweetly,
"they seemed not so strange at the time, for I had forgot you are to be
married; but now that I remember that--Belike you imagined for a moment
you were speaking to the lady you are to marry?"

"Belike that is so. But touching this marriage: what is to hinder your
running away to your uncle's now, with a trusty person to conduct you?"

"My uncle, in his letter, said he washed his hands of my affairs. He
counselled me to make the best of Sir Peregrine's estate; he gave me
warning he would not harbour me if I came to him."

"A most loving uncle, truly!"

"Nay, his love had not altered. But what befell him in London that
night gave him such a fright of meddling in the matter."

"Perchance his warning was only to keep you from some rash flight. And,
mayhap, now that his fears have passed away, he would receive you."

"I know not. If I might try!--hush, they are coming back!"

Ravenshaw could hear Sir Peregrine's cracked voice in the passage; but
he ventured, quickly:

"I'd fain talk more of this--alone with you. When?"

"When you will," she replied, hurriedly. "I know not your plans."

"In your garden, then," he said at a hazard; "to-morrow at nightfall.
Let the side gate be unlocked."

"I'll try. But do not you fail."

"Trust me; and meanwhile, if they turn sudden in the matter, and
resolve to have the marriage forthwith, find shift to put it off,
though you must e'en fall ill to hinder it."

"I'll vex myself into a fever, if need be!"

Ravenshaw was on his feet when the elder people came in; he advanced
toward them as if he had waited impatiently that he might take his
leave. As for Mistress Millicent, at sight of Sir Peregrine her face
took on at once the petulant, rebellious look it had worn at his
departure; no one would have supposed she had conversed during his
absence.

When the captain had dismissed himself, he looked back for a
moment from the threshold. The limping old coxcomb, more than ever
self-satisfied after his supper, was bestowing a loverlike caress
upon Mistress Millicent, who shrank from him as if she were a flower
whose beauty might wither at his touch. With this vision before him,
Ravenshaw was let out, by the side door, into Friday Street, and made
his way eastward along Cheapside to meet the scholar by appointment
among the evening idlers in the Pawn of the Exchange. He thought
industriously, as he went.




CHAPTER IX.

THE PRAISE OF INNOCENCE.

"He keeps his promise best that breaks with hell."--_The Widow._


The Royal Exchange, or Gresham's Bourse, formed an open quadrangle,
where the merchants congregated by day, which was surrounded by a
colonnade; the roofed galleries over the colonnade made up the Pawn,
where ladies and gentlemen walked and lounged in the evening, among
bazaars and stalls. Naturally the uses of such a resort were not lost
upon Captain Ravenshaw and Master Holyday, who had reasons for knowing
all places where a houseless man might keep warm or dry in bad weather
without cost. When Ravenshaw entered, on this particular May evening,
he found the Pawn crowded, and lighted in a manner brilliant for those
days. The scholar was leaning, pensive, against a post.

"God save you, man, why look you so disconsolate? Is it the sight of so
many ladies?"

"No. I heed 'em not, when I am not asked to speak to 'em," replied
Holyday, listlessly. "How fared you?"

"Oh,--so so. The trick served. Faith, I e'en began to think myself I
was Master Holyday. But what's the matter?"

It was evident the captain did not wish to talk of his own affair. The
scholar was not the man to poke his nose into other people's matters.
But neither was he one to make any secret of his own concerns when
questioned.

"Oh, 'tis not much. I have been commissioned to write a play."

"What?" cried the captain, eagerly. "For which playhouse?--the
Globe?--the Blackfriars?--the Fortune?"

"Nay," said the scholar, sedately; "for Wat Stiles's puppet-show."

"Oh!--well, is not that good news? Is there not money in it? Why should
it make you down i' the mouth?"

"Oh, 'tis not the writing of the play--but I have no money to buy paper
and ink, and no place to write in."

"What, did the rascal showman give you no earnest money?"

"Yes; but I forgot, and spent it for supper. I knew you would make
shift to sup at the goldsmith's."

"Ay, marry, 'twould have gone hard else. Well, I am glad thou hast
eaten. It saves our shifting for thy supper. Troth, we shall come by
ink and paper. The thing is now to find beds for the night. Would I had
appointed to meet my gentleman this evening." But suddenly, at this,
the captain's face lengthened.

"When are you to meet him?"

"At ten to-morrow, in the Temple church," said the captain, dubiously.
After a moment's silence, he added, "And to think that the fat of the
land awaits you in Kent whenever you choose to take a wife to your
father's house there! Well, well, it must come to your getting the
better of that mad bashfulness--it must come to that in time."

"Why," quoth Holyday, surprised, "have you not assured me that women
are vipers?"

"Ay, most of them, indeed--but not all; not all." The captain spoke
thoughtfully.

"Well," said Holyday, after a pause, "I think I shall lodge in Cold
Harbour first, ere I take one home to my father." Cold Harbour was a
house in which vagabonds and debtors had sanctuary; but the two friends
had so far steered clear of it, the captain not liking the company or
the management thereof.

Leaving the Exchange, they found the streets alive with people; not
only had the fine weather brought out the citizens, but the town was
full of countryfolk up for the Trinity law term.

"'Odslid," a rustic esquire was overheard by the captain to say to
another, "I looked to lie at the Bell to-night, but not a bed's to be
had there. 'Twill go hard if all the inns--"

"Excellent," whispered Ravenshaw to the scholar. "We shall sleep dry of
the dews to-night--else I'm a simple parish ass. Come."

They went at once to the sign of the Bell, where the captain applied,
with an important air, for a chamber. On hearing that the house
was full, he made a great ado, saying he and his friend wished to
leave early in the morning in Hobson's wagon starting from that inn;
being late risers by habit, they durst not trust themselves to sleep
elsewhere, lest they miss the wagon. Finally, going into the inn yard,
the captain stated his case to one of Hobson's men, and suggested that
he and his companion might lie overnight in the tilt-wagon itself, so
as to make sure of not being left behind in the morning. The carrier,
glad to get two fares for the downward journey at a season when all
the travel was up to town, thought the idea a good one. And so the two
slept roomily that night on straw, well above ground, sheltered by the
canvas cover of the huge wagon. In the morning, pretending they went
for a bottle of wine, they did not return; and the carrier, whipping up
his horses at the end of a vain wait of fifteen minutes, was provided
with a subject of thought which lasted all the way to Edmonton.

Meanwhile, the captain and the scholar, postponing their breakfast,
whiled away the time till ten o'clock. At that hour, having left
his friend to loiter round Temple Bar, Ravenshaw stepped across the
venerable threshold of the church of the Temple.

This church, too, was a midday gathering-place, as was also Westminster
Abbey. But ten o'clock was too early for the crowd, and the captain
found himself almost alone among the recumbent figures, in dark marble,
of bygone knights of the Temple in full armour. Not even the lawyers,
in any considerable number, had yet taken their places by the clustered
Norman pillars at which they received clients. The gentleman whom
Ravenshaw had come to meet, to report the outcome of his attempt with
the goldsmith's daughter, was not there.

Master Jerningham, indeed, had cause to be late. He had cause also for
his mind to be, if not upset, at least tumbled about. In the first
place, though he did not try to resist it, he cursed his unreasonable
passion for this girl, which took so much time and thought from his
final preparations for the voyage on which he had set so heavy a
stake. He had been compelled to leave many things to his companion
gentlemen-adventurers, which he ought to have overseen himself. And
even as matters were, he was not clear as to what he would be about,
concerning the girl. Suppose he won her to a meeting, could such a
passion as his be cooled in the few hours during which he might be
with her before sailing? Or should he indeed, as he had hinted to Sir
Clement, set himself to carry her off on his voyage by persuasion
or force? He knew not; events must decide; only two things were
certain--he must behold her a yielding conquest in his arms; and he
must sail at the time set or as soon after as weather might permit.

Upon leaving Ravenshaw in St. Paul's, the day before, he had gone to
see a cunning man by whom his nativity had been cast with relation to
the voyage. The astrologer had foretold an obstacle to be encountered
at the last moment, and to be avoided only by great prudence. This had
darkened Master Jerningham's thoughts for awhile, but he had forgotten
it in the busy cares of the afternoon at Deptford, whither he had
hastened to see the bestowal of stores upon the ship. He had already
got his men down from London and Wapping, all taking part in the work,
some living aboard, some at the inns; so as to risk no desertions. He
had returned late to Winchester House, passed a restless night, slept
a little after daylight, and set forth in good time before ten for his
appointment.

Just as he was going down the water-stairs, a small craft shot in
ahead of the boat his man Gregory had hailed; a woman sprang up
from the stern and, gaining the stairs with a fearless leap, stood
facing him. She was a tall, finely made, ruddy-faced creature, in
her twenties, attired in the shabby remains of a country gentlewoman's
gown, and wearing a high-crowned, narrow-brimmed hat.

[Illustration: "BADE HIS VISITOR BE SEATED UPON A STONE BENCH, AND
FACED HER SULLENLY."]

"Name of the fiend!" muttered Master Jerningham, starting back in anger
and confusion. "What the devil do you here?"

"Peace," said the woman, in a low voice. "Have no fear. If your
virtuous kinsman sees me, say I'm old Jeremy's niece come to tell you
what men he'll need for the farm work." Her voice befitted her tall
and goodly figure, being rich and full; the look upon her handsome
countenance was one of mingled humiliation and scorn.

"I am in haste," said Jerningham, in great vexation.

"You must hear me first," she replied, resolutely.

Jerningham, stifling his annoyance, motioned Gregory to keep the
waterman waiting; then led the way up the stairs to the terrace, bade
his visitor be seated upon a stone bench, and faced her sullenly.

"Is this how you keep your promise?" he said, rebukingly.

"Oh, marry, I put you in no danger. I might have walked boldly to the
doors and asked for you. But I lay off yonder in the boat till you came
forth; it put me to the more cost, but you are shielded."

"Well, why in God's name have you come?"

"Because you would not come to the Grange, and I must needs have speech
with you. You forbade messages."

"Then have speech with me, and make an end. But look you, Meg, I have
no money. I have kept my word with you; I have given you a home at the
Grange; 'twas all I promised."

"'Tis all I ask. But the place must be a home, not a hell. 'Tis well
enough by day, and I mind not the loneness--troth, I'm glad to hide
my shame. But by night 'tis fearful, with none but old Jeremy for
protection, and he so feeble and such a coward. You must send a man
there, you must!--a man that is able to use a sword and pistol, and not
afraid."

"Why, who would go so far from the highroad to rob such a rotten husk
of a house?"

"'Tis not robbers," she said, sinking her voice to a terrified whisper.
"'Tis ghosts, and witches."

Jerningham laughed in derision of the idea.

"I tell you it's true. I know what I say," she went on. "Spirits walk
there every night; there are such sounds--!"

"Poh!" he interrupted. "The creaking of the timbers; the moving of
the casements in the wind; the flapping of the arras; the gnawing and
running of rats and mice."

"'Tis more than that. There be things I see; forms that pass swiftly;
they appear for a moment, then melt away."

"'Tis in your dreams you see them."

"I know when I am awake; besides, often I see them when I am not abed."

"They are the tricks of moonlight, then; or of rays that steal in at
cracks and crevices; or they are the moving of arras and such in a
faint breeze."

"I know better. Think not to put me off so. I'll not stay there alone
with old Jeremy. I cannot bear it--such fright! Good God, what nights
I've passed!"

Jerningham quieted her with a gesture of caution, as he looked
fearfully around to see if her excited manner was observed.

"Then there are witches," she went on, more calmly. "They slink about
the house and the garden in the shape of cats. Terrible noises they
make at night."

"Why, they _are_ cats, like enough; they seek the rats and mice. Troth,
for horrible noises--"

"Nay, but I know better. T'other evening Jeremy was late fetching home
the cow from the field, and so when I had done milking 'twas near
nightfall. As I was crossing the yard with the milk, what did I see
but an old woman leaning on her stick, by the corner of the house. She
was chewing and mumbling, and looking straight at me. I saw 'twas old
Goody Banks, whom the whole countryside knows to be a witch."

"Foh! a poor crazy beldame, no doubt come to beg or steal a crust or a
cup of milk."

"I thought so too, at first, after I had got over the fright of seeing
her--for 'tis rare we ever see any one at the Grange. But as I was
going to speak to her, she looked at me so evilly I remembered what the
countryfolk say of her, and such a fright came over me again, I cried
out, 'Avaunt in the name of Jesus!' and flung the pail of milk at her.
I heard a kind of whisk,--for I had closed my eyes as I threw,--and
when I opened them, there, instead of the old woman, stood a great cat,
staring at me with the very same evil eyes! So I knew she must be a
witch--turning into a cat before my very eyes!"

"But your eyes were closed, you say."

"Ay, she had bewitched me to close 'em, no doubt, so I might not see
how she transformed herself."

"Why, 'tis all clear. The whisk you heard was of the old woman's
running away from the milk-pail. The cat had been there all the while,
belike, but you had not seen it for the old woman."

"I tell you I know what I saw," she replied, growing vehement again.
"You need not think to fool me, and turn me off. Sith you have no other
place for me to live, I am content to live at the Grange; but you must
send a man there to guard the place against ghosts and witches. You
must do it,--a stout, strong man afraid of nothing; no shivering old
dotard like Jeremy, who durs'n't stick his nose out of his bedclothes
between dusk and daybreak. You promised to give me a home, and I to
keep silent and unseen; but a house of spirits and witches is no fit
home, and so what becomes of our agreement? So best send a man."

"Why, if it be not possible?"

"Then I shall hold myself freed of my promise, and if you cannot make
one place a home for me, you shall make another. I shall tell the
bishop all that is between us--oh, I shall get word to him, doubt it
not!--and I know what so good a man will do. He will make you marry me,
that is what he will! My birth--"

"Oh, peace! I was jesting. I will send a man. Is that all?"

"Ay, and little enough. There's much a man can do there, for the good
of the place itself. Will you send him to-day?"

"Why, faith, if I can find him--a man fit for the place, I mean. I have
much to do to-day."

"But I cannot endure another night there, with none but Jeremy in the
house. You must send him to-day; else I swear I will come--"

"Nay, give me a little time," pleaded Jerningham, thinking that if he
could but hold her off with promises for two days, her disclosure
would matter little, as by that time he would be afloat--unless weather
should hinder the sailing. At this "unless," he frowned, and remembered
the fortune-teller's prediction. Without doubt, what Mistress Meg might
do was the obstacle in the case. He entertained a morbid fear of an
impediment arising at the last moment. The woman was capable of keeping
her threat; and the bishop was capable of staying him at the very
lifting of the anchor, capable even of having him pursued and brought
back as long as he was in home waters. Meg knew nothing of his voyage.
He must keep that from her, as well as satisfy her in the matter of
her request. The wise man had said that "prudence" might avoid the
obstacle; Jerningham must deal prudently with her. "I will send a man
next week," quoth he.

"I will give you till to-morrow to find a fit man," she replied,
resolutely. "To-night I can sit up with candles lit. But if your man be
not there to-morrow at four o'clock in the afternoon, I shall start for
London; if I come a-horseback I can be here by eight."

Jerningham fetched a heavy sigh. He knew this woman, and when she
meant what she said, and how impossible it was to move her on those
occasions. He thought what a close player his adverse fiend was, to
set the time of her possible revelation upon the very eve of his
departure. Durst he hazard some very probable hitch of her causing? No;
that would not be "prudence." He must not only promise her; he must
also send the man. After all, that was no difficult matter; once the
master was safe away on the seas, destined to come back rich enough
to defy bishop and all, or come back never at all, let the man look
where he might for his wage. It was but palming off upon her the first
ruffian to be hired, who might behave decently for a week or so.

Jerningham's face lightened, therefore; he gave his word, slipped the
woman a coin to pay her boatman, saw her to the boat by which she had
come, and then took his seat in the one awaiting him, and bade the
waterman make haste to the Temple stairs.

As he and Gregory walked into the Temple church, he did not immediately
know the man who hastened up to meet him; for the up-turned moustaches,
and the bareness of chin, except for the little tuft beneath the
lip, gave the captain a somewhat spruce and gallant appearance,
notwithstanding his plain attire.

"God save you, sir. I thought you had changed your mind."

"By my soul, sir--oh, 'tis Ravenshaw! 'Faith, 'tis you have changed
your face. I was detained, against my will. Let's go behind that
farthest pillar. Troth, this transformation--" He broke off and eyed
the captain narrowly, with a sudden suspicion.

"A man's face is his own," said Ravenshaw, bluffly.

"One would think you had set yourself to charm the ladies."

"Fear not. I have no designs upon the lady you wot of. And now let me
speak plain words. When I undertook your business yesterday, 'twas left
in doubt between us whether your desire of this maid meant honestly."

"'Slight, it shall remain in doubt, as far as your knowledge is
concerned," replied Jerningham, quickly, nettled at the other's tone.

"It was left in doubt, as far as speech went," continued Ravenshaw.
"But there was little doubt in my mind. And yet I bound myself to
the service because I was at war with womankind. I thought all women
bad--nay, in my true heart I knew better, but I lost sight of that
knowledge, and chose to think them so."

"Wherein does your opinion of the sex concern me?"

"But I was wrong," pursued the captain. "I have met one who proves they
are not all bad. I were a fool, then, to hold myself at feud with the
sex; and the greater fool to pay back my grudge, if I must pay it, upon
one that is innocent."

"Why, thou recreant knave! Do you mean you have failed in the business
and would lay it to your virtue?"

"Softly, good sir! I will tell you this: I can win the maid to meet
you, if I will."

"Then what the devil--? How much money--? Come to an end, that I may
know whether to use you or--"

"I will win the maid to meet you--if you will pledge yourself--"

"Go on; what price?"

"If you will pledge yourself to make her your wife at the meeting, and
acknowledge her openly as such."

Jerningham stared for a moment in amazement. Then he gave a harsh laugh.

"A rare jest, i' faith! The roaring captain, desiring a city maid for
his mistress, offers to get her a gentleman husband! A shrewd captain!
Belike, a shrewd maid, rather!"

"By this hand, I ought to send you to hell! But for her sake, I will
rather explain. She seeks no husband. But I conceived you might be a
fit man for such a maid. You are young and well-favoured,--a fitter man
than some that might be forced upon her. I thought a marriage with such
a mate might save-- But to the point: if you love her, why not honestly?
And if honestly, why not in marriage? You will behold few maids as
beautiful, none more innocent. As to her portion, the marriage must
needs be against her father's knowledge, by license and bond; but when
he finds his son is so likely a gentleman, I warrant--"

"Come, come, an end of this; I am not to be coney-catched. Shall I meet
the wench through your mediation, or shall I not?"

"You shall not. And I tell you this: she is not to be won to such a
meeting as you are minded for; not by the forms of gods, the treasures
of kings, or the tongues of poets!"

Jerningham shrugged his shoulders.

"It is the truth," said the captain. "Virtue beats in her heart,
modesty courses with her blood, purity shines in her eyes, she is the
mirror of innocence. Should you find means to try her, I swear to
you the attempt would but mar her peace, and serve you nothing. Nay,
even if that were not so,--if there were a chance of your enticing
her,--black curses would fall upon the man by whose deed that stainless
flower were smirched. Innocence robed in beauty--there's too little of
it walks the world, that gentlemen should take a hand in spoiling it!"

"Man, you waste my time prating," said Jerningham, who had been
thinking swiftly, and imagining many possibilities, and hence saw
reason for calm speaking. "I see you are stubborn against the business
I bespoke you for. When I want an orator to recommend me a wife, I may
seek you. If I wish to hear sermons out of church, I can go to Paul's
Cross any day."

The two looked at each other searchingly. The captain sought to find
why Jerningham, after his exceeding desire, should show but a momentary
anger, and speedily turn indifferent. Had his desire melted at a
single disappointment? Perhaps; but affairs would bear watching. On
Jerningham's part, he was wondering what the other would really be
at, concerning the maid; what had passed between them, and how far
the captain stood in the way of Jerningham's possessing her by such
desperate means as might yet be used. If the man could only be kept
unsuspecting, and got out of London for a few days! Jerningham had a
thought.

"So let us say no more of this maid," he resumed, "and if you forget
her as soon as I shall, she will be soon forgot. No doubt you remember
I spoke of other employments I might have for you. Of course I meant if
you served me well with the goldsmith's wench. You proved a frail staff
to lean upon in that matter, but I perceive 'tis no fair test of you
where a woman is in the case. So, as you are a man to my liking, I will
try you in another business. By the foot of a soldier, it cuts my heart
to see men of mettle hounded by ill fortune!"

댓글 없음: