2015년 9월 20일 일요일

The Master of Stair 27

The Master of Stair 27


“I am undecided, but any message addressed to ‘The Blue Posts,’ Covent
Garden, will find me.”
 
“I will remember it.”
 
The King’s messenger put on his hat and coat in silence; he was not a
man for commonplaces, and his haughty manners prevented them in others.
He saluted the two men very abruptly and turned from the room.
 
Jerome Caryl made no attempt to accompany him: there was a quiet
dislike in his stiff bow. As the door closed, he remarked to Sir
Perseus:
 
“Middleton is crazed, I think, to trust that man with such a mission.”
 
“I do not like him,” was the answer, “but he may be very staunch.”
 
“He knows everything,” said Jerome Caryl, frowning. “And his
credentials are such that I must trust himbut I doubt his discretion,
and I wish Middleton could have sent me a man of whom I knew something.”
 
As Mr. Wedderburn was crossing the dark, outer room he felt a timid
touch on his arm; some one fleet and noiseless of foot had overtaken
him. It was Delia Featherstonehaugh,for the moment he had utterly
forgotten her.
 
“Would you do me a favor?” she said panting.
 
He turned, but it was too dark to see her face.
 
“Why, tell it me,” he answered.
 
“I want you to help me save the Macdonalds of GlencoeI havea reason.”
 
There was a long pause; she grew frightened.
 
“Won’t you answer?” she said piteously.
 
“I have no power,” he replied sternly.
 
“Ah, yes, as much as any of themand I am afraid the Macdonaldsafraid
of” she paused.
 
“Of whom?”
 
“The Master of Stair,” she whispered.
 
He uttered his slight reckless laugh.
 
“Content yeI will defend ye from the Master of Stairon my soul, ye
are a sweet thingI will see ye next time.”
 
She fell back, panting into the dark and he passed on into the outer
room where a man was busy sorting and arranging Jacobite pamphlets. He
rose to open the door.
 
“Those are lampoons ye write?” demanded Mr. Wedderburn.
 
The Jacobite smiled:
 
“Yes, sir,” he said in a low voice, “I do not write them, but they are
lampoons.”
 
“Against whom?”
 
“All the Whigs, sirone in particular.”
 
Mr. Wedderburn held the open door in his hand; he spoke over his
shoulder:
 
“The Master of Stair?” he asked.
 
The Jacobite answered under his breath.
 
“Truly that devilthe Master of Stair.”
 
Mr. Wedderburn’s blue eyes flashed dark and fierce.
 
“Be careful, sir, how ye offend the devil,” he said, and, banging the
door furiously in the face of the Jacobite, strode off down the street.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XIII
 
THE MASTER’S WIFE
 
 
Late that evening the Master of Stair entered his mansion in St.
James’s Square and passed through the great empty house to the library
at the back. This room was vast, handsomely furnished and gloomy,
well-lit by hanging lamps and a great fire on the massive hearth; the
walls were lined with books, the ceiling domed and painted with dark
figures that appeared to mount into endless space; the chimneypiece,
wreathed with heavy garlands of wooden flowers, supported a huge
branched silver stand filled with candles that were reflected in the
mirror behind. Dull red velvet curtains draped the long windows, and a
heavy pile carpet of the same color covered the floor. In the center of
the wall, facing the door, stood a large black oak desk with a bureau
either side; on it lay papers and books with two grim bronze busts,
labeled “Cato” and “Solon” in lettering that glittered somberly; one of
the lamps hung immediately over the desk and threw a strong light down
on the man who sat there reading a faded calf-bound volume.
 
He was quietly dressed in dark brown, and his face, wrinkled, as a
walnut shell, was almost hidden by the ringlets of his enormous
periwig; he was thin and bent, sixty or sixty-five and had an
indescribable air of ease and comfort, as if he was in his element and
vastly enjoying himself.
 
The Master of Stair paused on the threshold and glanced round the
somber room.
 
“Good-evening, my lord,” he said.
 
The man at the desk looked up, half-reluctantly.
 
“What o’clock is it, John?” he asked.
 
“Between twelve and one,” answered the Master of Stair. “I am later, my
lord, than I meant to be.” He came into the room as he spoke, and
seated himself on one of the stiff-backed chairs by the fire.
 
“Where is Lady Dalrymple?” he asked drearily.
 
Viscount Stair shut his book and so turned in his chair that he faced
his son.
 
“Gone to the ball at Kensington,” he answered dryly, “accompanied by
Tom Wharton.”
 
“Why did you permit it?” flashed the Master of Stair.
 
The father shrugged his shoulders.
 
“You must manage your own wife, John,” he answered. “Everybody is at
the ball. Tom Wharton is as good as another.”
 
Sir John interrupted him:
 
“Tom Wharton is the greatest rake in England,” he said. “I do not
choose to have him across my thresholdwhen I returned from Romney this
morning you told me Lady Dalrymple was at the Toyshop with himnow you
tell me they have gone to the ball together.”
 
“Why didn’t you go yourself?” asked the Viscount calmly. “Who do you
think is to take her about?she must be seen at Court sometimes.”
 
“I was better employed,” answered the Master. “You know well enough, my
lord, that I have it in hand to crush this risingthis plotI am but
now from one of these Jacobite dens where I have been aping the part of
King’s messenger from France.”
 
“In those clothes?” asked his father sarcastically.
 
The Master of Stair answered impatiently: “I forgot them. I had been
dining with Montague, and went straight on to the meeting-place.”
 
Viscount Stair gave an unpleasant smile.
 
“Well,” he said calmly, “you have a fine head, John, you make a good
many slipsa number of false steps. Take care the last isn’t up Tower
Hill.” He spoke with an air of abstraction, as if, himself indifferent
to everything, he could still feel cynically amused at the blunders of
others.
 
His son gave him an angry glance.
 
“I have not deserved this, my lord; I have kept inside the law during
many storms, and now I _am_ the law.”
 
The Viscount leaned a little forward; as he moved it was noticeable
that his neck was wry, a defect that gave him the appearance of leering
over his shoulder as if he listened to some one who whispered there at
his ear.
 
“_I_ have kept you inside the law,” he said. “_My_ advice has guided
you so faryou reckless fool if you had asked me you had not gone among
conspirators in that habit.”
 
He pointed mockingly at the gorgeous dress of his son whose anger rose
the more at his tone.
 
“Sir,” he said. “I have achieved my purpose for all I am such a
foolthey were deceived.”
 
“Being bigger fools,” commented the Viscount.
 
“I say, I am at the bottom of their plot,” flashed the Master. “In two
days’ time I shall have every detail to put before the King.”

댓글 없음: