2015년 9월 20일 일요일

The Master of Stair 29


Down the whole gloomy length she went slowly with a weary air of
hopelessness; the Viscount looked up from his book, watched her and
when the door closed on her gave a little sigh of relief.
 
“She gets onto a note very irritating to the nerves,” he remarked. “It
is astonishing how few women will learn to use their words with
effectthey throw at you all they can think ofthen burst into
tearswhich is neither logical nor pleasing.”
 
The Master of Stair made no answer; at his feet was a beautiful pink
rose his wife had dropped; he picked it up and flung it into the fire.
 
The Viscount shut his book and turned with a yawn.
 
“I saw the King to-day,” he said. “He asked where you wereArgyll and
Breadalbane are desirous to see you about these Highlands.”
 
“Yes,” said the Master gloomily. “But the damned thieves have all come
in except the Macdonalds of Glencoewhich minds me. I should send those
letters to-nightI have the maps of Glencoe. The pass of Rannoch must
be secured. The Laird of Weem must close Strath Taythen with
Breadalbane one side, Argyll the otherI think I have the villains.”
 
The Viscount drew a paper out of his desk.
 
“I had the report from Scotland this morning,” he said composedly. “The
Macdonalds have taken the oath.”
 
The Master of Stair turned, incredulous, furious.
 
“Taken the oath!” he cried.
 
“Yes.” His father twisted his wry neck over the paper. “So the
commander of the forces says.”
 
Sir John stood silent a moment; when he spoke it was in a quiet tone.
 
“It need make no differenceI have vowed to make an example of those
Glencoe men and will do it.”
 
The Viscount nodded.
 
“As Lord President of the Court of Session I could suppress this,” he
said. “And you as Prime Minister for Scotland should be able to
accomplish the rest.”
 
“Yes,” answered the Master. “I must write to Hill who commands in Fort
Williamhe must be removedthe second in command, Hamilton, is an able
man.”
 
“But first you must see Breadalbane,” said the Viscount. “Better go
carefully.”
 
Sir John lifted his shoulders with a magnificent gesture of disregard.
 
“I have put myself above caution, my lord,” he said. “Give me the
letter” He took it eagerly from his father. “This must be shown to the
King?” he questioned.
 
“Yes.”
 
“Lend me your pen, my lord.”
 
The Viscount handed him the quill, and Sir John dashed it through the
passage relating to the Macdonalds.
 
“If it become necessary to show this paper your lordship can do so,” he
said. “And I will do the same for the minutes that are to go before the
Council at Edinburgh.”
 
His father laughed.
 
“A bold way of handling difficulties, John,” he commented.
 
“It needs boldness to deal with these cursed Jacks,” answered the
Master fiercely. “I am going to teach them a lesson this timethey have
defied us and laughed at us long enough. This race of thieves
goesutterly.”
 
The Viscount suddenly rose with a little sound of warning.
 
Sir John turned.
 
Close behind them stood Lady Dalrymple.
 
She saw by their faces their thought, and drew herself together
defiantly. “I was not spying,” she cried feverishly. “You did not hear
me enter.”
 
“You were remarkably quiet, madam,” remarked the Viscount dryly.
 
She gave him a frightened look and in a strained silence crossed to the
hearth.
 
“I dropped a flower,” she said faintly. “I came back for that.”
 
She looked along the floor and in the chair.
 
“Do not trouble, madam,” said her husband, watching her. “I make no
doubt Mr. Wharton’s hothouses can supply you with others.”
 
Lady Dalrymple lifted her head, and stared at him with parted lips and
flushed face, and a curious little movement of her hand like horror.
 
“The Queen gave it to me for Harry’s grave,” she said simply.
 
The Master of Stair flushed and started as if from a blow.
 
“You have burnt it?” asked Lady Dalrymple, with a glance at the fire.
 
The silence answered her.
 
“Well, well,” she said desperately, “I suppose you do not care that his
little grave should go bareonlyto-morrow was his birthdaygood-night,
sir.”
 
She went quietly out of the room.
 
The Viscount glanced sideways at his son’s face, and was silent.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XIV
 
THE CURSE OF THE DALRYMPLES
 
 
The Earl of Breadalbane smiled into the gloomy face of the Master of
Stair.
 
“They hav’na’ taken the oaths,” he said. “I’m no’ likely to be
deceived. I have clear reports sent by Glenlyonand certainly the
Macdonalds couldna’ take the oaths without his knowledge.” He glanced
round on the three men assembled in the massive drawing-room of the
Dalrymples; the Viscount, cool and immovable as himself; Argyll,
restless and ill at ease, the Master of Stair, dark and impatient.
 
“So we may proceed,” he continued, “without any fear o’ offending the
law.”
 
“My lord,” said the Master of Stair, “we should have proceeded in any
case. I have struck out the statement that the Macdonalds took the
oath.”
 
Argyll looked up.
 
“’Tis a dangerous method, Sir John,” he said nervously. “It would look
ugly if it ever came to light, ye ken, and there are a plenty of people
would gladly turn it about to work our ruin.”
 
Breadalbane answered:
 
“Hav’na’ I said, cousin, that they ha’ no’ come in? Therefore we are in
our just rights to be punishing avowed traitors.”
 
“My Lord Argyll,” smiled the Viscount, “you need not fear to embark on
an enterprise that your cousin’s caution deems safe.”
 
Argyll, detecting the sneer, grew peevish.
 
“Aweel,” he replied, “an’ the enterprise is so safe and lawful show me
the warrant for it, my lords.” The Master of Stair turned impatiently
in his chair.
 
“I will be your warrant, my lord,” he said. “I am the first minister in
Scotland. I take the responsibility.”
 
“Ay?” answered Argyll. “But you are not so high, Sir John, that you
cannot fall. And I’ll no’ mix in this without other safeguard.”
 
“What?” demanded the Master haughtily.
 
“The King’s command.”
 
“The King’s command is in his proclamation that all clans not taking
the oaths are to be dealt with by the law,” answered the Master.
 
“Aweel,” said Argyll shrewdly, “then it should be no trouble to ye, Sir
John, to obtain a warrant from His Majesty for the destruction o’ the
Macdonalds o’ Glencoe.”
 
“It is not needful,” frowned Sir John.
 
But the Viscount leaned forward across the table.
 
“I think the King’s consent is needful,” he said; he glanced at
Breadalbane, whose light eyes rested very disdainfully on his cousin.
“What do you think, my lord?”
 
“As they hav’na’ taken the oaths,” answered Breadalbane, “we are within
the lawyet I’m no’ saying that precautions are onnecessary.”

댓글 없음: