2015년 9월 18일 금요일

The Master of Stair 9

The Master of Stair 9


“If they are frightened enough,” said Jerome. “If they realize that all
England is behind him they will submit.”
 
Delia broke in suddenly:
 
“And my Highlander shall take the warning,” she cried. “He shall carry
home this news.”
 
Jerome looked up interested: “A Macdonald, did you say?”
 
“Ronald Macdonald,” she answered, “and son of the chief of his clan.”
 
“He may be trusted,” said Sir Perseus, “for his very simplicity. He
could take letters to Lochiel, Glengarry, KeppochI know not about his
gratitude. He is, I think, faithful.”
 
“I will answer for him,” said Delia. “Indeed, I can assure you of his
great honesty.”
 
Jerome Caryl smiled.
 
“Whyyou seem to know him very well, Miss Delia.”
 
She answered his look with a straight glance. “I have talked to himhe
has told me things of himself and his people.”
 
“They come from Glencoe?”
 
“Yes,” she answered. “In our tongue, you know, it is the Glen of
Weepingthey call it so because of the mists that hang there day and
night’tis an awful place in the heart of the Campbell country.”
 
“And they are murdering thieves, are they not?” questioned Jerome.
 
Delia lifted her strong face, flushed rosy from the fire: “I think
these Highlanders have other standards than ours,” she said quietly.
“They own stronger virtues and franker vices.”
 
“The same,” returned Jerome, “may be said of all savages, Miss Delia.”
 
Sir Perseus interposed:
 
“But I think the fellow is to be trusted, and who but a born Highlander
could traverse this chaotic country with safety and advantage?”
 
Jerome Caryl shrugged his shoulders and stirred the log on the hearth
with the toe of his boot.
 
“Well, let the matter rest. Only the thing must be done if we are to
defeat Breadalbane and the Master of Stair.”
 
Sir Perseus laughed: “Why, I believe you dislike the Secretary as much
as the Edinburgh mob do.”
 
“I hate his power,” answered Jerome. “The way he rules us all against
our willhe and he only prevents Scotland returning to King James
 
“They do say he is accursed of a cursed family,” said Delia. “There are
horrid mysteries whispered of himyou have heard?”
 
“Yes, and I do not think them all vulgar spitethey are a dark race,
these Dalrymples,” answered Jerome.
 
There was a pause, then Delia spoke: “Have you ever seen him?” she
asked.
 
“Oncein Edinburghhe was riding an ash-colored horse; there was a
great train of rabble at his heels, who hooted and pelted himI did not
see his face; he had his hat over his eyes and never looked back.”
 
“He is used to being mobbed,” said Sir Perseus; “they say that is why
he left Edinburgh.”
 
“I was of the mob,” said Jerome Caryl fiercely, “and I said with the
mob what I say now: damnation to the Master of Stair!”
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER V
 
THE FOLLY OF DELIA
 
 
Delia Featherstonehaugh shut the door on Jerome Caryl and her brother
and began mounting the stairs of the quiet little house. She could hear
the low murmur of the men’s voices through the frail door and a fine
pencil of yellow light fell between the paneling onto the blackness
without. Delia stood still a moment in an attitude of hesitation, then
went on lightly and swiftly.
 
At the top of the stairs she fumbled in the dark along the wall, found
what she sought, a door-handle, turned it and entered. She was in a
small room with a sloping roof and a deep bow-window; there was no
light, but through this window poured a great flood of moonshine that
showed the plaster walls, the simple wooden furniture and the figure of
a man wrapped in a plaid, who leaned on his elbow at the window and
gazed over the city.
 
The rough outline of his profile was clear against the square of cold
blue sky, and above the housetops above him hung the great white moon.
 
Delia let the door slip into its latch with a click, and he turned his
head.
 
“You are longing to be away,” she said in her English Gaelic. “And why
have you no light, Macdonald?”
 
“I have no need,” he said mournfully.
 
Delia gave a nervous little laugh and came up to him.
 
“Why, you are well now,” she said, “and will soon be freeyou have no
need to brood in the dark.”
 
He shook his head gloomily.
 
“’Tis always dark to me,” he answered. “I would I had died.”
 
There was a soft stir of satin as Delia seated herself on a wooden
stool beyond the patch of moonlight; out of the shadows came her
hesitating voice.
 
“Do not talk sowe have a mission for you, my brother and I.”
 
He made no answer, only dropped his head into his hand and stared at
the moon. Delia locked her fingers together; she seemed to have to make
an effort to speak, at last she told him of the discussion between her
brother and Jerome Caryl, tried to put it forcibly and clearly and
ended by offering him the mission of carrying the warning to the
Highlands that they must take the oaths of submission to King William.
 
He listened as if she spoke of something of no importance; the names of
the rival kings, of the Master of Stair, had clearly no meaning to him,
but he flushed when she mentioned Breadalbane.
 
“The others may do what they will,” he flung out, “but the Macdonalds
of Glencoe will never submit to a Campbell.”
 
Delia strove, somewhat falteringly, to show him the unreasonableness of
this; presently he said drearily: “For the sake of your bread that I’ve
eaten, I will do your errand.”
 
A silence fell. Delia put her foot forward into the moonlight, and
watched the long shadow it made; she shivered once or twice for the
room was cold. Ronald Macdonald seemed to have forgotten her the moment
her voice ceased; she looked up at him and said, faintly:
 
“You promised to tell me before you left, Macdonald, the adventure that
brought you to the plight my brother found you in.”
 
That appeared to rouse him; he looked round sharply.
 
“Ye found me near to death, did ye not?” he demanded.
 
“You have been in great fever,” she answered softly. “Yes, very sick.”
 
“Ah!” He drew himself up in the window-seat and frowned reflectively.
“I think she was a Campbell.”
 
“Who?” asked Delia, a little breathlessly.
 
He did not heed her question. “She was like none I have ever seen,” he
went on. “I would have fought a clan for hershe wore a coat of the
Saxon red, but she was of our countrya Campbellwas she a cursed
Campbell?”
 
“Who was she?” said Delia again, still so faintly that he did not hear.
 
“Certainly she lied to me,” he continued moodily. “And ‘fair and false
as a Campbell,’ they sayshe fooled me. I would I had killed her before
I let her fool me.”
 
It was the first time he had ever spoken of this mysterious woman.
Delia fumbled in vain for the meaning.
 
“What was she like?” she asked.
 
He flushed and turned his frank eyes toward her.
 
“She had hair of the Campbell red, and curly like little oak leaves
round her face; her eyes were like a wildcat’s, that the light runs in
and out of; her mouth was bright as blood, and her face white and
sharp; she coughed and shivered, her voice was very cold. I kissed her
and she would have killed me for ityet could it have been only that?I
think she was a Campbell.”
 
He sat up and gazed earnestly into the shadows where Delia sat; his
plaid had fallen back and showed the rough hide coat underneath and the

댓글 없음: