2014년 12월 4일 목요일

A Lady's Life in the Rocky 3

A Lady's Life in the Rocky 3


At this great height, and most artistically situated, we came upon a

rude log camp tenanted in winter by an elk hunter, but now deserted.

Chalmers without any scruple picked the padlock; we lighted a fire,

made some tea, and fried some bacon, and after a good meal mounted

again and started for Estes Park. For four weary hours we searched

hither and thither along every indentation of the ground which might be

supposed to slope towards the Big Thompson River, which we knew had to

be forded. Still, as the quest grew more tedious, Long's Peak stood

before us as a landmark in purple glory; and still at his feet lay a

hollow filled with deep blue atmosphere, where I knew that Estes Park

must lie, and still between us and it lay never-lessening miles of

inaccessibility, and the sun was ever weltering, and the shadows ever

lengthening, and Chalmers, who had started confident, bumptious,

blatant, was ever becoming more bewildered, and his wife's thin voice

more piping and discontented, and my stumbling horse more insecure, and

I more determined (as I am at this moment) that somehow or other I

would reach that blue hollow, and even stand on Long's Peak where the

snow was glittering. Affairs were becoming serious, and Chalmers's

incompetence a source of real peril, when, after an exploring

expedition, he returned more bumptious than ever, saying he knew it

would be all right, he had found a trail, and we could get across the

river by dark, and camp out for the night. So he led us into a steep,

deep, rough ravine, where we had to dismount, for trees were lying

across it everywhere, and there was almost no footing on the great

slabs of shelving rock. Yet there was a trail, tolerably well worn,

and the branches and twigs near the ground were well broken back. Ah!

it was a wild place. My horse fell first, rolling over twice, and

breaking off a part of the saddle, in his second roll knocking me over

a shelf of three feet of descent. Then Mrs. C.'s horse and the mule

fell on the top of each other, and on recovering themselves bit each

other savagely. The ravine became a wild gulch, the dry bed of some

awful torrent; there were huge shelves of rock, great overhanging walls

of rock, great prostrate trees, cedar spikes and cacti to wound the

feet, and then a precipice fully 500 feet deep! The trail was a trail

made by bears in search of bear cherries, which abounded!

 

It was getting dusk as we had to struggle up the rough gulch we had so

fatuously descended. The horses fell several times; I could hardly get

mine up at all, though I helped him as much as I could; I was cut and

bruised, scratched and torn. A spine of a cactus penetrated my foot,

and some vicious thing cut the back of my neck. Poor Mrs. C. was much

bruised, and I pitied her, for she got no fun out of it as I did. It

was an awful climb. When we got out of the gulch, C. was so confused

that he took the wrong direction, and after an hour of vague wandering

was only recalled to the right one by my pertinacious assertions acting

on his weak brain. I was inclined to be angry with the incompetent

braggart, who had boasted that he could take us to Estes Park

"blindfold"; but I was sorry for him too, so said nothing, even though

I had to walk during these meanderings to save my tired horse. When at

last, at dark, we reached the open, there was a snow flurry, with

violent gusts of wind, and the shelter of the camp, dark and cold as it

was, was desirable. We had no food, but made a fire. I lay down on

some dry grass, with my inverted saddle for a pillow, and slept

soundly, till I was awoke by the cold of an intense frost and the pain

of my many cuts and bruises. Chalmers promised that we should make a

fresh start at six, so I woke him up at five, and here I am alone at

half-past eight! I said to him many times that unless he hobbled or

picketed the horses, we should lose them. "Oh," he said "they'll be

all right." In truth he had no picketing pins. Now, the animals are

merrily trotting homewards. I saw them two miles off an hour ago with

him after them. His wife, who is also after them, goaded to

desperation, said, "He's the most ignorant, careless, good-for-nothing

man I ever saw," upon which I dwelt upon his being well meaning. There

is a sort of well here, but our "afternoon tea" and watering the horses

drained it, so we have had nothing to drink since yesterday, for the

canteen, which started without a cork, lost all its contents when the

mule fell. I have made a monstrous fire, but thirst and impatience are

hard to bear, and preventible misfortunes are always irksome. I have

found the stomach of a bear with fully a pint of cherrystones in it,

and have spent an hour in getting the kernels; and lo! now, at

half-past nine, I see the culprit and his wife coming back with the

animals.

 

I. L. B.

 

 

LOWER CANYON, September 21.

 

We never reached Estes Park. There is no trail, and horses have never

been across. We started from camp at ten, and spent four hours in

searching for the trail. Chalmers tried gulch after gulch again, his

self-assertion giving way a little after each failure; sometimes going

east when we should have gone west, always being brought up by a

precipice or other impossibility. At last he went off by himself, and

returned rejoicing, saying he had found the trail; and soon, sure

enough, we were on a well-defined old trail, evidently made by

carcasses which have been dragged along it by hunters. Vainly I

pointed out to him that we were going north-east when we should have

gone south-west, and that we were ascending instead of descending.

"Oh, it's all right, and we shall soon come to water," he always

replied. For two hours we ascended slowly through a thicket of aspen,

the cold continually intensifying; but the trail, which had been

growing fainter, died out, and an opening showed the top of Storm Peak

not far off and not much above us, though it is 11,000 feet high. I

could not help laughing. He had deliberately turned his back on Estes

Park. He then confessed that he was lost, and that he could not find

the way back. His wife sat down on the ground and cried bitterly. We

ate some dry bread, and then I said I had had much experience in

traveling, and would take the control of the party, which was agreed

to, and we began the long descent. Soon after his wife was thrown from

her horse, and cried bitterly again from fright and mortification.

Soon after that the girth of the mule's saddle broke, and having no

crupper, saddle and addenda went over his head, and the flour was

dispersed. Next the girth of the woman's saddle broke, and she went

over her horse's head. Then he began to fumble helplessly at it,

railing against England the whole time, while I secured the saddle, and

guided the route back to an outlet of the park. There a fire was

built, and we had some bread and bacon; and then a search for water

occupied nearly two hours, and resulted in the finding of a mudhole,

trodden and defiled by hundreds of feet of elk, bears, cats, deer, and

other beasts, and containing only a few gallons of water as thick as

pea soup, with which we watered our animals and made some strong tea.

 

The sun was setting in glory as we started for the four hours' ride

home, and the frost was intense, and made our bruised, grazed limbs

ache painfully. I was sorry for Mrs. Chalmers, who had had several

falls, and bore her aches patiently, and had said several times to her

husband, with a kind meaning, "I am real sorry for this woman." I was

so tired with the perpetual stumbling of my horse, as well as stiffened

with the bitter cold, that I walked for the last hour or two; and

Chalmers, as if to cover his failure, indulged in loud, incessant talk,

abusing all other religionists, and railing against England in the

coarsest American fashion. Yet, after all, they were not bad souls;

and though he failed so grotesquely, he did his incompetent best. The

log fire in the ruinous cabin was cheery, and I kept it up all night,

and watched the stars through the holes in the roof, and thought of

Long's Peak in its glorious solitude, and resolved that, come what

might, I would reach Estes Park.

 

I. L. B.

 

 

 

 

Letter VI

 

A bronco mare--An accident--Wonderland--A sad story--The children of

the Territories--Hard greed--Halcyon hours--Smartness--Old-fashioned

prejudices--The Chicago colony--Good luck--Three notes of admiration--A

good horse--The St. Vrain--The Rocky Mountains at last--"Mountain

Jim"--A death hug--Estes Park.

 

LOWER CANYON, September 25.

 

This is another world. My entrance upon it was signalized in this

fashion. Chalmers offered me a bronco mare for a reasonable sum, and

though she was a shifty, half-broken young thing, I came over here on

her to try her, when, just as I was going away, she took into her head

to "scare" and "buck," and when I touched her with my foot she leaped

over a heap of timber, and the girth gave way, and the onlookers tell

me that while she jumped I fell over her tail from a good height upon

the hard gravel, receiving a parting kick on my knee. They could

hardly believe that no bones were broken. The flesh of my left arm

looks crushed into a jelly, but cold-water dressings will soon bring it

right; and a cut on my back bled profusely; and the bleeding, with many

bruises and the general shake, have made me feel weak, but

circumstances do not admit of "making a fuss," and I really think that

the rents in my riding dress will prove the most important part of the

accident.

 

The surroundings here are pleasing. The log cabin, on the top of which

a room with a steep, ornamental Swiss roof has been built, is in a

valley close to a clear, rushing river, which emerges a little higher

up from an inaccessible chasm of great sublimity. One side of the

valley is formed by cliffs and terraces of porphyry as red as the

reddest new brick, and at sunset blazing into vermilion. Through

rifts in the nearer ranges there are glimpses of pine-clothed peaks,

which, towards twilight, pass through every shade of purple and

violet. The sky and the earth combine to form a Wonderland every

evening--such rich, velvety coloring in crimson and violet; such an

orange, green, and vermilion sky; such scarlet and emerald clouds;

such an extraordinary dryness and purity of atmosphere, and then the

glorious afterglow which seems to blend earth and heaven! For color,

the Rocky Mountains beat all I have seen. The air has been cold, but

the sun bright and hot during the last few days.

 

The story of my host is a story of misfortune. It indicates who should

NOT come to Colorado.[11] He and his wife are under thirty-five. The

son of a London physician in large practice, with a liberal education

in the largest sense of the word, unusual culture and accomplishments,

and the partner of a physician in good practice in the second city in

England, he showed symptoms which threatened pulmonary disease. In an

evil hour he heard of Colorado with its "unrivalled climate, boundless

resources," etc., and, fascinated not only by these material

advantages, but by the notion of being able to found or reform society

on advanced social theories of his own, he became an emigrant. Mrs.

Hughes is one of the most charming, and lovable women I have ever seen,

and their marriage is an ideal one. Both are fitted to shine in any

society, but neither had the slightest knowledge of domestic and

farming details. Dr. H. did not know how to saddle or harness a horse.

Mrs. H. did not know whether you should put an egg into cold or hot

water when you meant to boil it! They arrived at Longmount, bought up

this claim, rather for the beauty of the scenery than for any

substantial advantages, were cheated in land, goods, oxen, everything,

and, to the discredit of the settlers, seemed to be regarded as fair

game. Everything has failed with them, and though they "rise early,

and late take rest, and eat the bread of carefulness," they hardly keep

their heads above water. A young Swiss girl, dev

댓글 없음: