2015년 9월 21일 월요일

The Master of Stair 37

The Master of Stair 37


Delia reeled forward into the room and sat down heavily at the table,
her face blank, her fingers at her mouth; there was everything on the
table as it had been; the familiar things of common use about the
roomwhat had happened that it was all so strange? Nothingwhat could
happen? It seemed as if her heart had stopped; all she felt was a
little tired wonder. She was roused by a light touch on her arm, and
looked up dully into Jerome Caryl’s face.
 
He lifted her hand from the table.
 
“For his sake,” he said very softly, “Call up your courage now
 
She stared with an unchanged look.
 
“Is he dead?” she said. “Perseus?”
 
“God help thee,” he answered, and his voice broke a little. “We are all
undone
 
“ButPerseus?” she repeated. “Is he dead? Can’t he see me? Won’t he
hear me when I tell himwhywhat was I going to tell him? When I came
home I sang for joy, oh, my love, my love!” She dropped her head,
sobbing heavily. “Come and comfort me,” she cried between her bitter
tears. “I only want youah, I would have told himdeadwhat is it to be
dead?”
 
She looked up.
 
Jerome Caryl had left her; she rose and crept slowly to where her
brother lay with Jerome’s handkerchief across his face.
 
“Perseus” she sobbed, “I was so happydearI wanted to make you happy,
toohe loves me! Perseusdo you hear?”
 
She bent lower.
 
“Will you never know now?” she asked fearfully. “But he shall avenge
youhe loves me! Oh, Perseus, cannot the wonder of it make you rise and
speak to me?”
 
A moment she listened with stilled breath, then slowly she shrank back
from the still and stiffened figure on the floor.
 
“Andrew” she whispered pitifully, then her gaze fell on his cloak and
she caught it up to her breast for comfort. Suddenly Jerome Caryl
entered; a little paper showed in his hand; his face was strongly moved.
 
“It is explained!” he cried passionately, “that damned devil has undone
us utterlysee what has come from the man Huntin prison in Romneyhe
contrived to send this. Look at itfated fools we are!” He held out to
her a soiled scrap of crumpled paper; her wild eyes fell to it and she
read in scrawling characters:
 
“Mr. Andrew Wedderburn is the Master of Stair.”
 
She made no movement, spoke no word; Jerome Caryl thought that, in her
grief, she was careless as to what this could mean.
 
“He has those papers,” he said fiercely. “He must have those
papersPerseus died defending them
 
“Perseusdied?” she said. “HekilledPerseus?”
 
“What else?” cried Jerome Caryl. “For what was he here? It all proves
itArgyll’s warningHunt’s messageand that
 
He pointed to Perseus and her eyes followed his gesture; she was
standing very stiffly, her hand resting on the table edge.
 
“It is a lie,” she said, “a monstrous lie.”
 
“It is the bitter truth and we are ruined.”
 
“No, it is a fearful lie,” said Delia slowly. “I _know_ it is a lie.”
 
Jerome Caryl made no answer; he was bending over the charred papers on
the hearth.
 
“These might be they;” he said, looking up and across at the dead man.
“Now what would I not give for one word from youone word, yesor no
 
Delia gave no hint; she stepped forward suddenly and faced Jerome.
 
“Tell me,” she asked. “What did you say just now? What was that
papershow it to me.” Her voice sank to an intense appeal.
 
“Ahshow it to me,” she cried hoarsely. He looked at her in a quick
pity.
 
“Forgive meI have been bluntpoor soul, ’tis terrible for you,” he
said gently.
 
She took no notice of his words; with the same set face she came closer
and caught hold of his sleeve.
 
“What was it?” she said in a frozen voice. “Some lie rang in my
headsomething too horribleJeromewhat have I ever done that you
should so torture mewill you not tell me?”
 
So strange was her voice, so disconnected and yet intensely earnest
were her words, that Caryl feared for her reason.
 
“Delia,” he said pityingly. “I would do anything to comfort theeyet I
can give thee no hopehe is dead.”
 
“Yes!” she cried frantically. “But who killed him?”
 
“This manthis devilish villainthe Master of Stair
 
“The Master of Stair!” she echoed, clinging to him desperately. “What
has he to do with us; we do not know himI have never seen him
 
“Nayhe called himself Andrew Wedderburn
 
“Nono,” she whispered thickly, “that is not true, and you shall say
so. My God! It is not true. I am mad and all the world is chaos if that
is true
 
“I know it as if I had seen him do it,” he answered. “What did your
brother saythe Master of Stair!”
 
“No! no! he did not!” shrieked Delia.
 
“Did they not tell us he was in this room with Perseusdid he not quit
by the window in such haste that he left his cloakthere at your feet?”
 
His cloak! His cloak that she had clutched to her heart for
comfortthis to be cited at evidence against him
 
“I say it could not be!” she cried; she put her hands before her face
as if fire had suddenly struck her blind and cowered and shrank
together.
 
Gently Jerome Caryl put her into the chair by the desolate hearth.
 
“We must leave here at once,” he said. “I must send a warning to
Berwick and destroy the printing-press and all papersthere is a
kingdom hanging on our prudence now.”
 
She looked at him blankly.
 
“The Master of Stair,” she muttered. “The Master of Stair.”
 
She drew herself together in the chair and, half-swooning, dreams
mounted to her brain; reality ebbed away; she was conscious of feeling
cold and yet when she put her hand to her forehead she seemed to touch
fire; she thought the Abbey was about her, the sunlight at her feet,
andhestood on the bishop’s grave“call me John,” he saidSir John
Dalrymple, Master of Stairshe repeated the names to herself

댓글 없음: