2015년 9월 21일 월요일

The Master of Stair 38

The Master of Stair 38



CHAPTER XVIII
 
AN INNOCENT BETRAYAL
 
 
Viscount Stair listened with an amused smile to the heavy footsteps
pacing about overhead; he drew himself closer over the fire and
surveyed his lean fingers with eyes twinkling unpleasantly. His son was
evidently in an ill-humor; his restlessness had followed on a message
from my Lord Breadalbane; something was amiss in Scotland.
 
So the Viscount concluded; he made no attempt to discover what had
occurred, but waited patiently, hugging his amusement, confident that
his son would not leave him long out of his councils. And even sooner
than he had expected the door was flung open and Sir John entered,
stormy and frowning.
 
“Ill news from Scotland?” asked the Viscount indifferently.
 
His son gave him a look.
 
“The Macdonalds _have_ taken the oaths,” he answered briefly.
 
“Ahmore prudence among these savages than one might have expected,”
remarked the Viscount.
 
“Their prudence will not avail!” cried Sir John.
 
“They did not come in till the sixth of January.”
 
“How ill-considered!” said the Viscount.
 
Sir John sat down heavily.
 
“Breadalbane has sent me the whole tale,” he said. “It seems Makian
took fright when he saw the others going in and set out for Fort
William to take the oathsof course (as the old fool fortunately did
not know) the oaths must be administered to a magistrate, Hill, I said
Hill was untrustworthyHill gave him a letter to the sheriff of
Argyllshire. Makian started for Inverary, but did not reach it till the
sixthGod knows why.”
 
“Probably through making himself drunk at every hut he passed,”
remarked the Viscount.
 
“He pleaded the excuse of heavy snow-storms,” said Sir John, “and the
sheriff was actually moved by his whinings to administer the oath.”
 
“It will make the Macdonalds feel secure,” remarked his father. “I
think that is fortunate.”
 
“But the sheriff has sent a letter to the council at Edinburgh with an
account of the whole transaction.”
 
“Need it ever reach them?” asked the Viscount. “I think if it is
privately submitted to me I can cancel itwhat is an oath of surrender
taken on the sixth? Nothing.”
 
Sir John rose.
 
“It shall make no difference,” he said gloomily. “I will make an
example of them, whether they took the oath or nobut this must be kept
from the King.”
 
“Which reminds me,” interrupted the Viscount easily, “what of those
Jacobite papers you were to put before His Majesty? It is a good many
days since you announced them as in your hands.”
 
Sir John’s blue eyes lifted steadily. “I am waiting for the
conspirators to embroil themselves further,” he said thoughtfully.
 
The Viscount shrugged his shoulders.
 
“You are giving them a chance to leave the kingdom.”
 
“You mistake, my lordI am having them watched and Hunt’s cottage no
longer stands their refuge.” He rose and abruptly left the room.
 
Hardly had he gone before an inner door was opened and Lady Dalrymple
entered.
 
The Viscount gave her a sharp look.
 
“One might be tempted to think that you played the spy, madam,” he said
dryly.
 
“I?” she went white, but glanced at him scornfully. “Can _I_ spy in my
husband’s house?”
 
“I grant, madam, that your means may not equal your will,” he answered,
“yet John is recklesscareless
 
Lady Dalrymple’s great soft eyes widened. “Wherefore should I spy upon
my husband’s affairs?” she said coldly. “I am no politician.”
 
“You are a woman,” smiled the Viscount. “I think you have some
curiosity.”
 
“Believe menone in these affairs of blood
 
He turned on her with a soft quickness. “How do you know that they are
‘affairs of blood’?” he asked.
 
She stood silent with a frightened face.
 
“Take care,” said the Viscount, rising. “If John is imprudent, he is
also violentthe matters that he deals in will bear no meddling of
yours.”
 
She shrank away from him.
 
“Why do you so goad me, my lord?” she said in a trembling defiance. “I
came here to avoid my husband, since he declared the sight of me irks
himand then you turn on mewhat are you trying to drive me to between
you?”
 
“Merely prudence,” answered the Viscount. “A little prudence and
discretion.” And he left the room with an indescribable air of cold
avoidance.
 
Lady Dalrymple looked after him with fear and loathing, then sank down
into the chair by the fire and gazed listlessly before her, her hands
clasped on her knees; her full pink gown, her undressed pale hair under
the white lace knotted at her chin, the muslin fichu across her bosom
and the glittering gold and purple flowers on her white satin
overskirt, made her a figure of brilliant fairness in the somber
gorgeous room.
 
The diamonds in her ears winked in the firelight and the paste buckles
of her red silk shoes shone beneath her skirt; round her neck hung a
broad mauve ribbon, the end of which was tucked into the gold lace of
her bodice.
 
She sat so, very still, with the firelight glowing on her soft face,
till she was disturbed by the great doors being opened; she turned in
her seat with a little shrinking movement.
 
The servant was ushering in a lady, who hesitated on the threshold and
said something in a low voice to the man who answered with a bow and a
stately request for her to be seated.
 
Upon that the lady entered, and the servant left, closing the door.
 
Lady Dalrymple looked at the unexpected visitor timidly and rose with
an instinctive courtliness. The lady had paused in the center of the
room; the snow lay over her dark habit and in the full curls of her
hair.
 
“I pray you do not let me trouble you,” she said in a manner,
unnaturally quiet and composed. “My business, madam, is with Sir John
DalrympleI have been asked to await him here.”
 
“Will you not sit down,” said Lady Dalrymple gently. “I do not know
your name, but you are very welcome.”
 
She moved her seat from the fire and in a winning way indicated a chair
opposite; but the coldness of the other’s face and voice did not relax.
 
“My name is Delia Featherstonehaugh,” she said. “And I am neither cold
nor tiredonly impatient, madam, to get my errand done.”
 
Lady Dalrymple shrank under the rebuff; her soft eyes took in the
stranger; she noted the set face, the proud, contained mouth, the
defiantly upheld head, the girl’s whole carriage as if disdaining
everything about her.
 
“Are you in trouble?” she asked timidly.
 
Delia’s brown eyes swept over her.
 
“No,” she answered coldly, then with sudden force. “Yesin terrible
troublebut in want, madam, of neither pity nor comfort.”
 
“Alas!” said Lady Dalrymple. “I would not so repulse either were they
offered meand do not you be hard to mefor I would help you an’ I
could.”
 
“Madam, you cannotin myself alone lies helpand youdo you lack pity
or sympathy?” The tone was coldly contemptuous, but Lady Dalrymple
answered gently.
 
“I did not say so, madamI say I would not refuse them.”
 
“Madam” said Delia. “Who are you?”

댓글 없음: