2015년 9월 21일 월요일

The Master of Stair 40

The Master of Stair 40


Lady Dalrymple folded the letter away slowly; she was not clever at
reading between the lines, and fine phrasing a little confused her; but
she caught the spirit of the writer; she saw that it only needed a word
from her for Tom Wharton to challenge her husband on the first excuse
that came. It was a curious thought; Tom Wharton had fought no duel in
which he had not killed or (through good nature) disarmed his man; his
perfect swordsmanship was a charm that kept men civil to him through
all the offenses of his lax and lazy life, since a duel with him was
death or the disgrace of mercy given; she knew her husband’s temper too
well to think he would accept the last.
 
She sat thinking quietly; she liked Tom Wharton; he was good-natured,
pleasant-mannered, open-hearted, open-handed, he treated her with a
flattering deference; though they had never exchanged confidences, she
felt he understood a little of her position; Harry had liked him.
 
She read his letter through again; her heart swelled at the thought
that she was forbidden the only pleasant company of which she knew; she
struggled for a moment with rebellion and wild thoughts of swords
behind Montague House, of freedom and releasethen she sat down to the
Viscount’s desk and wrote to Tom Wharton a gentle letter in which she
desired to be left to obey Sir John’s wishes, however unreasonable they
might seem.
 
She sealed it slowly and with a sigh.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XIX
 
THE PACT
 
 
Delia heard the door closed behind her and lifted her eyes. It was a
beautiful room, all carving and gilt with heavy hangings of stamped
leather and embroidered satin; the chimneypiece was of massive white
marble, carved with fauns and grapes, above it a vast mirror reached to
the ceiling; resting against the chimneypiece stood the Master of Stair.
 
His back was to the door, but Delia could see his face in the mirror;
he was looking down, nor did he turn or move at her entrance.
 
He was quietly dressed, yet there was ostentation about his person,
that ostentation from which he was never entirely free; he wore many
jewels; he was like his house, of a cold, splendid appearance, a showy
somberness, the magnificence of gaiety with no heart behind it; and as
his correct manner often had an underlying brutality in it, so his
beauty owned a lurking coarseness that only the usual coldness of his
demeanor concealed.
 
But now, as he looked down and she stared at his face in the mirror,
she saw the __EXPRESSION__ of it; a heavy sullenness a fierce impatience
barely under control.
 
He stood perfectly still, as if he did not know that she was there, or
was indifferent to her presence, and she remained a foot inside the
door, staring at him.
 
At last he lifted his eyes and the blue of them was painfully vivid in
his flushed face; he looked at her image in the mirror and there their
glance met.
 
Then he turned slowly.
 
“It is strange for you to come here,” he said moodily. “I wonder,
madam, what you can have to say to me?”
 
“Do you wonder, Sir John Dalrymple?” answered Delia with a white hard
face. “I come to ask you if you have those papers.”
 
He looked at her curiously.
 
“Have you those papers?” she repeated, holding herself very still. “We
could not tellthere was ash on the floorthat nightof burnt paper
 
For all her terrible effort at calm, her voice failed her; Sir John
spoke abruptly:
 
“I have all the information; all the papers relating to your plot
against His Majesty,” he said. “I thought you knew.”
 
“I guessed,” answered Delia slowly. “And you have not used your
information yet?”
 
“Not yet.”
 
“I have come to ask you to give those papers back to me,” she said
faintly.
 
The Master of Stair smiled.
 
“You are very confident, my fair Jacobite,” he said disdainfully.
“Those papers were not lightly got
 
She lifted her eyes with more steadiness.
 
“No,” she said, “you paid deep enough for them, did you not, Sir John
Dalrymple? You stopped at nothing.”
 
“I do for my cause what you do for yours,” he answered coldly. “And
this time I win.”
 
“Still I have come to ask you to give me back those papers.”
 
“You are astonishingly simple,” said the Master of Stair.
 
“So you have found mehave you not?” she answered wildly, “a very fool,
Sir John Dalrymple, to follow once the very careless lifting of your
finger, and fool enough now to think you have some honorsome
feelingsome pity for what you have so wantonly destroyed. Those papers
stand for the livesthe honorof thousands, and you stole them.”
 
She put her hand to her side and came a step forward.
 
“By all the lies you told me,” she said, “give back to me what you
stole.”
 
“The papers?” he asked quietly.
 
“My brother” said Delia, “is not in your power to restorehe is dead
 
“His was a dangerous trade,” returned the Master of Stair gloomily. “I
spared him the gallows.”
 
Delia stared at him; the words she had been forming seemed forgotten on
her lips.
 
“Why did you kill him?” she asked abruptly.
 
Sir John suddenly moved from the hearth.
 
“We talk at strange cross purposes,” he said. “Your brother insulted
meI did not murder him,” he shrugged his shoulders. “We all take our
chancesI ran some risk to gain my endand did more mischief than I
need, maybe,” he looked at her curiously. “I’ve earned your cursehave
I not?”
 
He made a little reckless movement with his hand as if he accepted it
and flung it off.
 
“I have no curse for you, nor reproaches,” answered Delia in an intense
voice. “I have not come to call you what I might. What is done is
doneand I have lived through it. I have come to ask your mercybecause
of what once you said
 
She stopped, he looked at her, saying nothing, with a great effort she
went on:
 
“Undo a little of what you have donegive me back those papers
 
“It is impossible,” he said. “Impossible, you may say what you will of
me
 
“I have nothing to say,” she answered unsteadily. “I have dangerous
stuff in meI know it now. I shall not use a woman’s means if you push
me too farI have it in me to pull your fortunes about your feet if you
should prove too merciless
 
He smiled imperiously.
 
“I think you, too, did some lying,” he said. “You used strong words to
one you talk now of ruiningand half I thought you did not mean
 
But Delia interrupted him. “You lie now,” she said in a stifled voice.
“You _know_ I meant it, meant it so that it touched you even through
your falsity.”
 
“Believe I was not insincereonly reckless of the future,” he answered
in a lower voice. “I did not play with you
 
“I need no explanations,” she cried passionately. “Have I not said that
I have lived through it? Can I not also be reckless and thank you for
the pleasant passing of an hourcan I not, too, forget?”
 
“I have not forgotten,” said the Master of Stair. “Should I have seen

댓글 없음: