2015년 9월 21일 월요일

The Master of Stair 42

The Master of Stair 42


His father looked up and laughed.
 
“You want to destroy them,” he said dryly. “I have been expecting
itwhy were you keeping them so long? You are not as adamant as you
suppose, Johnsome one has moved you.”
 
“Give me the papers, my lord,” answered Sir John sullenly.
 
The Viscount shrugged his shoulders. “It is impossible.”
 
“Why, my lord?”
 
His father twisted his wry neck and gave a little smile.
 
“I sent them to His Majesty this morning.”
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XX
 
ON THE VERGE OF MADNESS
 
 
“You have sent it to the Kingthe packet?” ejaculated the Master of
Stair.
 
“I have. It was time,” answered the Viscount.
 
“My lordwhy was I not consulted?” flashed his son.
 
Viscount Stair looked up sideways with a sudden complete drop of his
indifferent manner.
 
“You fool,” he said, “you are not in a position you can play withyou
have three countries full of enemies and not one friend that I know
ofexcept the King, and what could he do for you if all Scotland
started to pull you down? Ye have discovered this plot (more by good
fortune than by your own wits), and you would fling away the credit of
it forwhat? Some rag of sentiment.”
 
“I have not said so,” retorted Sir John sullenly.
 
“Bah!” The Viscount made a grimace. “Why did you delay so long in
sending them to Kensington? Believe me, you cannot afford to lose these
chances of serving the country: if your enemies find one handle against
youyou fall far more quickly than you climbed, my dear son.”
 
“My lord, my lord!” cried the Master of Stair, “the tenure of my office
is not so slight.”
 
“You think not?” smiled his father. “I do not now know you could have
justified yourself if you had kept those papers back and it had been
discovered. It would have looked like complicity with the Jacobites.”
 
Sir John lifted his head impatiently.
 
“Am I not the only man about the Court whose hands are clean from that
charge?” he cried. “Complicity with the Jacobites! I know no man could
dare accuse me.”
 
“And I know a hundred,” returned his father. “Arrogance is strangely
blindit stands on a hill and heeds not how the foundations are being
sapped till it falls on its face in the mire. And nothing is more
pitiable than fallen arrogance.”
 
“Siryou speak as if I was a boy to be taught by your parables,” cried
Sir John wrathfully. “I say that by this act of yours you have made me
dishonor my word” Then his angry thoughts flashed to what Delia knew
and he turned to his father. “It may ruin my plans with the Macdonalds.”
 
“Better lose the Macdonalds than the Jacobites,” answered the Viscount
calmly. “And who knows of your Highland schemes?”
 
Maddened and fuming, Sir John’s fury fixed itself on the unknown person
who had betrayed him; had Delia known nothing of his scheme he would
not have had to degrade himself by a bargain he was powerless to carry
out.
 
“Yea, who knows?” he demanded. “I only knew myself this morning that
the Macdonalds had taken the oath, and already I am betrayednow, in
the name of God, who is it?”
 
The Viscount was cool and sneering again.
 
“You are absolutely incoherent,” he remarked. “But if any one has
betrayed your schemes it is, of course, your dutiful wife.”
 
The Master looked round sharply.
 
“I do not think,” he said bitterly, “that she has either the wit or the
spirit; and she does not know.”
 
“It is you who do not know,” smiled the Viscount. “She spies on you,
listens at doors.”
 
Sir John flared into violence.
 
“She would not dareI cannot believe, and if I did
 
“Ask her,” interrupted his father. “She has a silly habit of speaking
the truththe result I believe of her bad education. She is a
marvelously ignorant woman.”
 
“I can note her ill qualities plainly enough, my lord,” cried Sir John,
goaded now into open fury. “Where is she?”
 
The Viscount picked up a pen and began cutting it; he eyed the inflamed
countenance of his son with a cold amusement.
 
“I observed her in here a little while ago,” he answered quietly. “She
was engaged in sealing a letterto Mr. Wharton.”
 
“Tom Wharton!” cried Sir John.
 
“Maybe she did not mention to you she had received a message from
himwhy should she? She knows you have not the friendship for Tom
Wharton that she has
 
“My lord,” said the Master of Stair, “forebear.” He was trembling in an
agony of rage. He turned away.
 
“Where are you going?” inquired his father.
 
“To find her,” said Sir John.
 
“You will, I thinkin the drawing-room,” remarked the Viscount smiling.
 
Without another word Sir John left the room. It was almost dark and the
house held the dreariness of winter twilight; as the Master of Stair
entered the drawing-room he was greeted with the faint soft light of
candles, burning high up in their silver sconces against the white
walls.
 
It was a vast room furnished in pale tints, cold, with a look of
desertion, opal-colored curtains shut out the evening, and the slender
furniture cast faint reflections on the polished floor.
 
On a little gold and cream-tinted couch by the fire sat Lady Dalrymple;
in the dim light, with her delicate hued dress and her pale coloring,
she looked like some dainty figure of wax, some doll set there to
complete the picture, so quiet she was in her desolate splendor.
 
On a small table beside her stood a bird-cage; she was bending toward
it and in the hollow of her hand lay a little bullfinch; her full blue
eyes gazed at it anxiously; it was sick and lay quite passively in her
hand, its feathers forlornly rough.
 
“Ah, don’t you die, too,” she whispered in a kind of horror. “Don’t you
die, too.”
 
Then she heard the door close and looking round across the pale room,
saw her husband.
 
Instantly she put the bird back in its cage, shut the door on it, and
rose.
 
“Ulrica,” said the Master of Stair, “I have something to ask of you.”
 
He came across the room, and at sight of his face the color left her
own; she slipped back onto the gold sofa and clasped her hands tightly.
 
“What do you know of my affairs?” demanded Sir John. “I tell you
nothing, but do you spy on me?”
 
He clenched his hand over the gilding behind her, and she shrank
together.
 
“What do you mean?” she asked. “Why do you speak so to me?”
 
“Because I desire an answer,” he said breathing hard.
 
“I will give you none,” she replied in a trembling indignation. “This
is my lord’s workhe has set you on me.”
 
“You had better tell me before I discover for myself,” said her
husband, his voice unsteady with suppressed passion. “Did you see that
girl who came asking for me this afternoon?”
 
She looked away, turning white, but there was that in her could disdain
the lie fear prompted.
 
“Yes,” she answered.
 
“By Heaven!” cried Sir John softly; he came a little nearer. “Did you
inform her of anything?”
 
Her eyes met his with a full look of aversion.
 
“What is the object of this?” she asked. “Why do you take this manner
to me? 

댓글 없음: