2015년 11월 30일 월요일

The Casement Report 20

The Casement Report 20


At Bongandanga the men of the district named E**, distant about 20
miles, had been brought in with the rubber from that district. They
marched in in a long file, guarded by sentries of the A.B.I.R. Company,
and when I visited the factory grounds to observe the progress of the
“market,” I was informed by the local agent that there were 242 men
actually present. As each man was required, I was told, to bring in 3
kilog. nett of rubber, the quantity actually brought in on that occasion
should have yielded about three-quarters of a ton of pure rubber. The
rubber brought by each man, after being weighed and found correct, was
taken off to be cut up in a large store, and then placed out on drying
shelves in other stores. As considerable loss of weight arises in the
drying to obtain 3 kilog. nett a dead weight of crude rubber
considerably in excess of that quantity must be brought in. There were
everywhere sentries in the A.B.I.R. grounds, guarding and controlling
the natives, many of whom carried their knives and spears. The sentries
were often armed with rifles, some of them with several cartridges
slipped between the fingers of the hands ready for instant use; others
had cap-guns, with a species of paper cartridge locally manufactured for
charging this form of muzzle-loader. The native vendors of the rubber
were guarded in detachments or herds, many of them behind a barricade
which stretched in front of a house I was told was the factory prison,
termed locally, I found, the “maison des otages.” The rubber as brought
up by each man under guard, was weighed by one of the two agents of the
A.B.I.R. present, who sat upon the verandah of his house. If the rubber
were found to be of the right weight its vendor would be led off with it
to the cutting up store or to one of the drying stores. In the former
were fully 80 or 100 natives who had already passed muster, squatting on
raised cane platforms, busily cutting up into the required sizes the
rubber which had been passed and accepted. At the corners of these
platforms stood, or equally squatted, sentries of the A.B.I.R. with
their rifles ready.
 
In another store where rubber was being dried seven natives came in
while I was inspecting it carrying baskets which were filled with the
cut-up rubber, which they then at once began sorting and spreading on
high platforms. These seven men were guarded by four sentries armed with
rifles.
 
Somewhat differing explanations were offered me of the reasons for the
constant guarding of the natives I observed during the course of the
“market.” This was first said to be a necessary precaution to insure
tranquillity and order within the trading factory during the presence
there of so many raw and sturdy savages. But when I drew attention to
the close guard kept upon the natives in the drying and cutting sheds, I
was told that these were “prisoners.” If the rubber brought by its
native vendor were found on the weighing machine to be seriously under
the required weight, the defaulting individual was detained to be dealt
with in the “maison des otages.” One such case occurred while I was on
the ground. The defaulter was directed to be taken away, and was dragged
off by some of the sentries, who forced him on to the ground to remain
until the market was over. While being held by these men he struggled to
escape, and one of them struck him in the mouth whence blood issued, and
he then remained passive. I did not learn how this individual
subsequently purged his offence, but when on a later occasion I visited
the inclosure in front of the prison I counted fifteen men and youths
who were being guarded while they worked at mat-making for the use of
the station buildings. These men, I was then told, were some of the
defaulters of the previous market day, who were being kept as compulsory
workmen to make good the deficiency in their rubber.
 
Payments made to the rubber-bringers, depending on the quantity brought,
consisted of knives, matchets, strings of beads, and sometimes a little
salt. I saw many men who got a wooden handled knife of Sheffield
cutlery, good and strong--others got a matchet. The largest of these
knives with a 9-inch blade, and the smaller with a 5-inch, cost in
Europe, I find, 2_s._ 10_d._, and 1_s._ 5_d._ per dozen respectively,
less 2-1/2 per cent. cash discount. The men who got the knife of the
larger kind, or a matchet, had brought in, I understood, a full basket
of pure rubber, which may have represented a European valuation of some
27 fr. To the original cost of one of these knives, say 2-3/4_d._,
should be added fully 100 per cent. to cover transport charges, so that
their local cost would be about 6_d._ Among the natives themselves these
knives pass at 25 rods (1·25 fr.) and 15 rods (75 centimes) each. From
two of these rubber workers I later purchased two of these knives,
giving twenty-five teaspoonfuls of salt for the larger, and six
teaspoonfuls with an empty bottle for the smaller. From a third member
of their party, whose payment had consisted of a string of thirty-nine
blue and white glass beads (locally valued at 5 rods), I bought his
fortnight’s salary for five teaspoonfuls of salt. This youth, indeed,
confessed that his basket of rubber had not been so well filled as those
of the others.
 
I went to the homes of these men some miles away and found out their
circumstances. To get the rubber they had first to go fully a two days’
journey from their homes, leaving their wives, and being absent for from
five to six days. They were seen to the forest limits under guard, and
if not back by the sixth day trouble was likely to ensue. To get the
rubber in the forests--which generally speaking are very
swampy--involves much fatigue and often fruitless searching for a
well-flowing vine. As the area of supply diminishes, moreover, the
demand for rubber constantly increases. Some little time back I learned
the Bongandanga district supplied 7 tons of rubber a-month, a quantity
which it was hoped would shortly be increased to 10 tons. The quantity
of rubber brought by the three men in question would have represented,
probably, for the three of them certainly not less than 7 kilog. of pure
rubber. That would be a very safe estimate, and at an average of 7 fr.
per kilog. they might be said to have brought in 2_l._ worth of rubber.
In return for this labour, or imposition, they had received goods which
cost certainly under 1_s._, and whose local valuation came to 45 rods
(1_s._ 10_d._). As this process repeats itself twenty-six times a-year,
it will be seen that they would have yielded 52_l._ in kind at the end
of the year to the local factory, and would have received in return some
24_s._ or 25_s._ worth of goods, which had a market value on the spot of
2_l._ 7_s._ 8_d._ In addition to these formal payments they were liable
at times to be dealt with in another manner, for should their work,
which might have been just as hard, have proved less profitable in its
yield of rubber, the local prison would have seen them. The people
everywhere assured me that they were not happy under this system, and it
was apparent to a callous eye that in this they spoke the strict truth.
 
In September I visited a native village called D**, situated some miles
from the A.B.I.R. factory at Bongandanga. I went there to see one of the
natives, who, with his wife and little children, had come to visit me.
My going to his town was solely a friendly visit to this man’s
household, since I was told that he was an excellent character, and one
who set a good example to his countrymen. On the way, at some 4 or 5
miles only from the A.B.I.R. factory, I passed through a part of D**
(which is a very long town) where were several sentries of the A.B.I.R.
Society. One of these had a 6-chamber revolver loaded with six 4·50 Ely
cartridges--doubtless given, like the shot-gun at A**, for intimidation
rather than for actual use. Another sentry present had only his cap-gun.
He said there were in this one village six sentries of the A.B.I.R., but
that the other four had just gone into Bongandanga guarding some
prisoners. These were, it was explained to me, some of the natives of
the country side who had not brought in what was thought to be a
sufficiency of india-rubber. A little further on I met two more sentries
of the A.B.I.R. in this town. Coming home from D** by another road I
found two other sentries apparently acting as judges and settling a
“palaver” among the natives, this being one of the commonest uses to
which these men put their authority in their own interest, levying
blackmail and interfering in the domestic concerns of the natives by
compelling payment for their “judicial” decisions.
 
The following day my host at D** came in to say that the sentries were
making trouble with him on account of my visit of the previous day,
declaring that they would inform the agent of the A.B.I.R. that he and
others had told me lies about their treatment by that Company, and that
they would all be put in the prison gang and sent away out of their
country. That evening C E spoke to me of my visit to D** of the previous
day, assuring me that the natives were all liars and rogues. The fact
that I had personally gone to see a native community, theoretically as
free as I was myself, and that I had spoken at first hand to some of
these natives themselves, caused, I could not but perceive, considerable
annoyance.
 
That the fears of my native host were not entirely groundless I
subsequently learned by letter from Bongandanga, wherein I was informed
that two of his wives and one of the children I had seen had fled in the
middle of the night for refuge to the Mission evangelist--the sentries
quartered at D** having arrested my friend at midnight, and that he had
been brought in a prisoner to the A.B.I.R. factory.
 
As to the condition of the men who paid by detention in the “maison des
otages” their shortcomings in respect of rubber, I was assured by the
local agent that they were not badly treated and that “they got their
food.” On the other hand, I was assured in many quarters that flogging
with the chicotte--or hippopotamus-hide whip--was one of the measures
used in dealing with refractory natives in that institution. I was told
that men have frequently been seen coming away from the factory, after
the rubber markets, who had been flogged, and that on two occasions this
year, the last of them in March, two natives had been so severely
flogged that they were being carried away by their friends.
 
The A.B.I.R. Society effectually controls the movements of the natives
both by water as well as by land. Since almost every village in the
Concession is under control, its male inhabitants are entered in books,
and according to age and strength have to furnish rubber or, in the
villages close to the factory, food-stuffs, such as antelope meat or
wild pig (which the elders are required to hunt), as also the customary
kwanga bread, or bananas, and fowls and ducks. An agent showed me some
of these village lists, during the purchasing of the rubber, of the 242
E** men, explaining that the impositions against the individuals named
are fixed by the Government, and are calculated on the bodily service
each man owes it, but from which he is exempted in the Concession in
order to work rubber and assist the progressive development of the
A.B.I.R. Company’s territory. He added that it was not the few guns he
disposed of at F** which compelled obedience to this law, but the power
of the Congo State “Force Publique,” which, if a village absolutely
refuses obedience, would be sent to punish the district to compel
respect to these civilized rights. He added that, as the punishment
inflicted in these cases was terribly severe, it was better that the
milder measures and the other expedients he was forced to resort to
should not be interfered with. These measures, he said, involved
frequent imprisonment of individuals in his local “house of hostages.” A
truly recalcitrant man, he said, who proved enduringly obstinate in his
failure to bring in his allotted share of rubber, would in the end be
brought to reason by these means. He would find, I was assured, as a
result of his perversity that the whole of his time must be spent either
in the prison or else in being marched under guard between it and his
native town. Terms of fifteen days, from “market” day to “market” day,
were the usual period of detention, and generally proved
sufficient--during which time the prisoners worked around the
factory--but longer periods were not at all unknown. My informant added
that an excellent project for dealing with obstinate opponents to the
rubber industry had recently been mooted, but had not been carried into
practice. This was to transport to the Upper Lopori, or the Upper
Maringa, far from their homes and tribes, such men as could not be
reclaimed by milder methods. In these distant regions they would have no
chance of running away, but would be kept under constant guard and at
constant work. This proposal had, however, been disapproved of by the
local authorities. In one town I visited, the Chief and some thirty
people gave me the names of several men of the town who had, about
eighteen months previously, been transported in this manner to G**, an
A.B.I.R. post, some 340 miles by water from Bongandanga. Three, whose
names were stated, had already died, only two had returned, the others being still detained.

댓글 없음: