2015년 11월 15일 일요일

The Pest 8

The Pest 8


“Now you’re here,” she said at last, “I’m frightened. I’d no right to
ask you to come, butI’d no one else, and I’m——
 
Tears came into her eyes, rolling slowly down her cheeks. Then she
covered her face with her hands, watching him very keenly between her
fingers.
 
He rose quickly and came over to her, resting his hand upon the back of
her chair and only by an effort restraining himself from catching her in
his arms.
 
“I’m so sorry,” he said, “so sorry, and so glad you did send for me.
Don’tdon’t cry.”
 
“I’m so helpless!” she sobbed.
 
She dropped her hands on her lap disconsolately; he took them in his, as
he stooped over her.
 
“Come, come, you’re not helpless,” he said, “because you’re not alone.
Tell me, what has happened?”
 
She drew her hands slowly from his, as she answered
 
“You must forgive mecrying; I’m not often so silly, but I couldn’t
help it. If you hadn’t come, I don’t know what I should have done.
Please sit down again and I’ll tell you.”
 
She paused as though she were trying how best to begin her story.
 
“I’ve left home. Left it altogether. I couldn’t stay there any
longer. I tried hard to get used to things, but they got worse and
worse. Then yesterday afternoon Edward was wild with me because I
couldn’t_couldn’t_ help him in his work. I broke out andthere was a
regular scene between us. We quarreledandI came away herewhat am I
to do?”
 
“Why here?”
 
“It’s the only place I know. My father brought me here years ago; it
wasn’t like this then, or didn’t seem so.”
 
“Have you no plans at all?” he asked.
 
“No, none. I must earn a living somehow. I’ve no money, and no friends,
except you, and I’ve no right to bother you. I suppose you think I’m mad
to run away like thisbut the life thereit wasn’t lifeit was
killing me.
 
“I don’t set up to judge people; don’t talk like that. The first thing
isyou mustn’t stop in this dingy hole.”
 
“Where else can I go?”
 
“We must hunt up some decent rooms somewhere. This place would kill
you.”
 
“Decent roomswith a decent rent! You forget I’m a working woman. The
first thing to do is to find a way to earn my living.”
 
He hesitated for a moment; was she playing with him, or talking in
innocent earnestness?
 
“What about your husband?” he asked abruptly.
 
“Edward? I left a letter for him, telling him I had gone away and
thatnothing on earth would persuade me to go back.”
 
“Are you sure of that?”
 
Her hands clinched as she answered: “Nothing could ever persuade me to
go back to him. What would be the use of it? To begin it all over again?
There would be no change; he couldn’t change, and I couldn’tnot as he
would want me to. He’ll be miserable at first, but soon he’ll be all the
better for my being away. He never loved me really; it’s only his work
he loves.”
 
“Won’t he search for you?”
 
“I dare say. But he’d only preach again if he found me.”
 
“Did youdid youcare for him?”
 
“Love him? I thought I did when I married him, and didn’t know what he
was. I was a girl then and knew nothing. Gradually I came to hate him. I
couldn’t help it; you don’t know how heartlessly cruel a _good_ man can
bethey’re so utterly selfish. But don’t let’s waste time on what has
been. When I shut the door there last night, I shut it on the past.
Nowwhat am I to do now? Can you help me? Do you know of any work I
could do? Or how I could get it?”
 
“Let me think,” he said, walking slowly up and down the room. “Whywhy
did you not keep your promise to come and see me at my studio?”
 
“Ican’t tell you.”
 
“Can’t tell me?” he said, surprised.
 
“No; please don’t ask me. I could make up an excuselie to you, butI
shouldn’t like to tell you even the most innocent fib. So please don’t
ask. All I can tell you,” she said, looking up at him as he stood beside
her, “is that I had a very good reason.”
 
Their eyes met fully, and she dropped hers quickly and turned away.
 
“I went down to see you last nightjust after you had left,” he said.
“Iwell, I wanted you to help me.”
 
“To help you? How could I help you?”
 
“We’re a helpless couple,” he answered, laughing nervously. Then he drew
up a chair close to hers, so that he could see her face. “Yes, you can
help me, and it’s just possible I can help you. You remember when I came
down to see you that afternoon, and you told me something about your
life and howbad it was for you. I’ve never forgotten what you told me.
It’s made me a good deal unhappy.”
 
“I don’t know why I told you,” she said doubtfully; “I suppose because
you were the only person I knew who I thought could understand. I didn’t
mean to worry you.”
 
“I’m very glad you did tell me. But something you _did_ worried me very
muchyour not coming to see me. It made me angry at first and then
miserable, especially as you didn’t write to say why you hadn’t been
able to come.”
 
“I tried to write but I couldn’t.”
 
“Couldn’t? What do you mean?” he asked keenly.
 
“Just, I couldn’t. Don’t ask me any more.”
 
“You _couldn’t_ come to see meyou _couldn’t_ write to me? I don’t
understand.”
 
“Ican’t explain. Butyou were telling me about yourself?”
 
“You care to hear?”
 
“Of course I do.”
 
“When I went down to see you last night it seemed as if it would be so
easy; now, somehow I can’t say what I want.”
 
“Is it something I can do for you?”
 
“Yesyeslook here, come down to the studio now. I’ll start that
picture, and while I work you can talk. Then we’ll lunch there, and talk
some more and see if we can’t put things a bit straight. Will you come?”
 
Little as he had said, his manner had conveyed an assurance to her that
she would quickly gain her object, and it required all her
self-restraint to enable her to conceal her relief and triumph. She did
not reply to him immediately, looking into the fire as though she were
thinking over what he had said, in reality waiting until she felt sure
of her voice and eyes. The conversation of the last few minutes had
shown him to be her captive and that the life she had been dreaming of
was now about to become a reality.
 
She stood up as she answered him——
 
“I’ll come; it will do me good. You’ve been awfully kind to me.”
 
While waiting for her, he paced quickly up and down the room. All
hesitation and all doubt had vanished; his pulse beat quickly; he longed
to be away with her: to see her seated before him, the rebel whom he
hoped to tame. Yet with this certainty there mixed a last remnant of
reason: before he gave himself he must be sure that she was his. He
could not bring himself seriously to mistrust her, but he realized that
he was holding out a rescuing hand to a lonely, desperate, possibly
cunning woman. She might clutch at it in helplessness; he longed that
she should clasp it in love.
 
Though the drive was long it seemed only too short to him. She scarcely
spoke at all, but looked straight ahead, wistfully, as it seemed to him,
as though she were watching a world of men and women in which she only
was sad. He, too, was silent, content to look at her, noting every
beauty of her face, the graceful carriage of her head, the evanescent
loveliness of her hair.
 
“Here we are!” he exclaimed, as he led the way into the studio. “Shan’t
I just make a nuisance of myself! You’ll have to sit still, though you
can talk. I can listen while I work.”
 
“What a lovely room!” she said, looking round at the deep archway before
the carved oak fireplace; the opposite arch, the recess with the daïs
and the wide expanse of latticed windows with the clear lights above;
the parqueted floor, strewn with rugs and skins; the carved chairs and
the luxurious setteethe display of somber, costly, beautiful things.
“What a lovely room! I couldn’t work in a room like thisbut then I’ve
never found a room in which I could work, since I left the country.”
 
She threw off her wraps and flung them with her hatrecklesslyon a
couch, and then stood warming her hands at the fire.
 
“I don’t think you were made for working,” he said, standing close
beside her, looking down upon her as she bent to the blaze, which shed a
warmth of crimson over her face. “You were meant to help others to
work.”
 
“You?”
 
“Ever so much, I fancy.”
 
“Tell me what I’m to do, and I’ll try.”
 
He brought over to the fireside an old-fashioned, plain wooden chair,
with high, stiff back and broad, flat arms.
 
“Theresit therestraight upI shan’t keep you like that for long at
a stretch; grip the ends of the arms slightlyand look into the fire;
look like you did, as far as you can, that afternoon when I called you the rebel.”

댓글 없음: