2015년 11월 12일 목요일

The Choice Humorous Works, Ludicrous Adventures 78

The Choice Humorous Works, Ludicrous Adventures 78



"'Pray,' said I, with a degree of agitation which evidently
astonished my companion in the crape, 'where--in what part of the
Talbot at Ripley did the young lady die?'
 
"'In Number 3; that 'ere double-bedded room right over the gateway,'
said the man. 'We only packed her up this morning.'
 
"My dear Gurney, you may easily imagine what my feelings were. Only
conceive the idea of having been turned into a double-bedded room
in the dark with a dead woman! It was lucky that the horses were
pronounced ready, and that Major Barmingfield, whose residence at
Ripley mine hostess had so truly announced, made his appearance just
at the moment that the undertaker had enlightened me on the subject.
I felt a mingled sensation of horror at the event, of joy at my
escape from the place where it occurred, and of repentance for my
misconduct towards my landlady, who had so good-naturedly strained a
point for my accommodation, which nearly overset me; and I have not a
notion what I should have done, had it not been that the coldness of
the weather afforded me an excuse for drinking off a glass of brandy,
and the lateness of the hour forced me to mount my nag and begin my
canter to Wrigglesworth forthwith."
 
 
A VISIT TO THE OLD BAILEY.
 
As I entered the Court, a case of some importance had terminated,
and the judge just concluded his summing up, when the clerk of
the arraigns put the customary question to the jury, "How say ye,
gentlemen--is the prisoner at the bar guilty or not guilty?" Upon
which the jurymen laid their heads together, and I heard something
in a whisper from their foreman, who immediately pronounced the
agreeable verdict, "Not guilty." The prisoner bowed gracefully--he
was a pickpocket--and retired.
 
The prompt decision of the jury convinced me that it must have been
a clear case; and I rejoiced at the departure of the now exonerated
sufferer.
 
"That's a reg'lar rascal," said the sheriff to me in a whisper;
"never was such a case heard on, to be sure--seventeen watches,
thirty-two pocket handkerchiefs, four pair of spectacles, and five
snuff-boxes, all found upon his person!"
 
"Yet," said I, "the evidence could not have been very strong against
him--the jury acquitted him after a minute's consultation."
 
"Evidence, Mr. Gurney!" said the sheriff, "how little do you know of
the Old Bailey!--why, if these London juries were to wait to consider
evidence, we never should get through the business--the way we do
here is to make a zig-zag of it."
 
I did not exactly comprehend the term as it was now applied, although
Daly had often used it in my society with reference to a pin and a
card universally employed at the interesting game of _rouge et noir_;
and I therefore made no scruple of expressing my ignorance.
 
"Don't you understand, sir?" said the sheriff--"why, the next
prisoner will be found guilty--the last was acquitted--the one
after the next will be acquitted too--it comes alternate like--save
half, convict half--that's what we call a zig-zag; and taking the
haggregate, it comes to the same pint, and I think justice is done as
fair here as in any court in Christendom."
 
This explanation rendered the next prisoner who made his appearance
an object of considerable interest to me. He was a little dirty boy,
who stood charged with having stolen a pound of bacon and a peg-top
from a boy somewhat his junior. The young prosecutor produced a
witness, who, as far as appearances went, might, without any great
injustice, have taken the place of the prisoner, and who gave
his evidence with considerable fluency and flippancy. His manner
attracted the notice of one of the leading barristers of the court,
Mr. Flappertrap, who, in cross-examining him, inquired whether he
knew the nature of an oath.
 
"Yes, I does," said the boy.
 
"Explain it," said Flappertrap.
 
"You may be d----d," replied the lad; "that's a hoath, arn't it?"
 
"What does he say?" said the judge--who, as I about this period
discovered, was as deaf as a post.
 
"He says, 'You may be d----d,' my lord," said Flappertrap, who
appeared particularly glad of an opportunity to borrow a phrase,
which he might use for the occasion.
 
"What does he mean by that?" said the judge. That is the way, my
lord, he exhibits his knowledge of the nature of an oath."
 
"Pah! pah!" said the judge--"Boy, d'ye hear me?"
 
"Yes," said the boy, "I hears."
 
"Have you ever been to school?"
 
"Yes," said the boy, "in St. Giles's parish for three years."
 
"Do you know your catechism?"
 
The boy muttered something which was not audible to the court
generally, and was utterly lost upon the judge personally.
 
"What does he say?" said his lordship.
 
"Speak up, sir," said Mr. Flappertrap.
 
The boy muttered again, looking down and seeming embarrassed.
 
"Speak louder, sir," said another barrister, whose name I did not
know, but who was remarkable for a most unequivocal obliquity of
vision--"speak to his lordship--look at him--look as I do, sir."
 
"I can't," said the boy, "you squints!"
 
A laugh followed this bit of _naïvete_, which greatly abashed the
counsellor, and somewhat puzzled the judge.
 
"What does he say?" said his lordship.
 
"He says he knows his catechism, my lord."
 
"Oh--does not know his catechism--why then, what--"
 
"_Does_ know, my lord," whispered the lord mayor, who was in the
chair.
 
"Oh--ah--_does_ know--I know--here, boy," said his lordship, "you
know your catechism, do you?"
 
"Yes," replied he, sullenly.
 
"We'll see, then--what is your name?" said his lordship.
 
"My name," said the intelligent lad--"what, in the catechism?"
 
"Yes, what is your name?"
 
"M. or N. as the case may be," said the boy.
 
"Go down, go down," said the judge, angrily, and down he went.
 
"Gentlemen of the jury," said his lordship, "this case will require
very little of your attention--the only evidence against the prisoner
at the bar which goes to fasten the crime upon him, is that which
has been offered by the last witness, who evidently is ignorant of
the nature and obligation of an oath. With respect to the pig's toes
which the prisoner stands charged with stealing----"
 
"A peg-top, my lord!" said Flappertrap, standing up, turning round,
and speaking over the bench into the judge's ears.
 
"Peg-top," said his lordship--"oh--ah--I see--very bad pen--it looks
in my notes like pig's toes. Well--peg-top--of the peg-top which
it is alleged he took from the prosecutor, there has not been one
syllable mentioned by the prosecutor himself; nor do I see that the
charge of taking the bacon is by any means proved. There is no point
for me to direct your attention to, and you will say whether the
prisoner at the bar is guilty or not; and a very trumpery case it is
altogether, that I must admit."
 
His lordship ceased, and the jury again laid their heads together;
again the foreman gave the little "hem" of conscious readiness for
decision; again did the clerk of the arraigns ask the important
question, "How say ye, gentlemen, is the prisoner at the bar guilty
or not guilty?" "Guilty," said the foreman to the clerk of the
arraigns; and "I told you so," said the sheriff to me.
 
The next case was a short one. The prisoner a woman, the evidence
clear and straightforward; but no great interest was excited, because
it was known that the case, for the trial of which in point of fact
the learned judge had, for particular reasons, given his attendance,
and which accounted for his lordship's presence at the close of the
session, was very speedily to come on. This extraordinary combination
of circumstances afforded me the most favourable opportunity of
seeing all the sights of this half awful, half amusing scene, even to
the discharge of the grand jury, who had been specially kept together
for the purpose of finding or ignoring the bill preferred against
the eminent culprit, who was evidently the great attraction of the
day--having found which, they had but three more to decide upon.
 
It was in the middle of the defence of the female prisoner, now
"_coram nobis_," and just as she was making a beautiful but useless
appeal to the "gentlemen of the jury," that a bustle in the court
announced some coming event.
 
"I am," said the weeping prisoner, "an orphan--I lost my mother while
I was yet a child--my father married again, and I was driven from
what had been before a happy home--I have only to pray----"
 
Bang went a door--the scuffle of feet were heard--down went
some benches--"Make way--make way!" cried some of the officers.
"Stand back, sir, stand back--the gentlemen of the grand jury are
coming into court." To what the moaning prisoner at the bar might
have limited her supplications, I never had an opportunity of
ascertaining, for the noise I have mentioned was succeeded by the
appearance of eighteen or nineteen men, dressed up in something like
the shabbiest dominoes I had seen at Lady Wolverhampton's masquerade,
trimmed with very dirty fur--the leader, or foreman, carrying in
his hand three bits of parchment. As these gentlemen advanced to
a space reserved for them in the centre of the court, the judge
kept exchanging bows with them until they had all reached their
destination--the foreman then delivered to the clerk of arraigns
the three bits of parchment, who, putting his glasses on his nose,
read--James Hickson, larceny--not found.--John Hogg, felony--true
bill.--Mary Ann Hodges, felony--not found. The clerk then informed
his lordship, partly by words, and partly by signs, the result of the
deliberations of the grand jury, and the fact that there were no more
bills to set before them. Having thus far proceeded, that officer
inquired if the gentlemen of the grand jury had any presentment to
make; whereupon the foreman, one of the largest and dirtiest-looking
persons imaginable, but whose countenance was indicative of love of power and command, and who appeared, at the moment he prepared himself to unburthen his great soul of a grievance, to feel as if the whole world were a football, made for him to play with,--

댓글 없음: