2015년 11월 9일 월요일

The Choice Humorous Works, Ludicrous Adventures 10

The Choice Humorous Works, Ludicrous Adventures 10


"It was late when we got to Dover: we walked about while our dinner
was preparing, looking forward to our snug _tête-à-tête_ of three--we
went to look at the sea, so called, perhaps, from the uninterrupted
view one has, when upon it--it was very curious to see the locks to
keep in the water here, and the keys which are on each side of them,
all ready, I suppose, to open them if they were wanted.
 
"Mr. Fulmer looked at a high place, and talked of Shakspeare, and
said out of his own head, these beautiful lines.--
 
"Half way down
Hangs one that gathers camphire, dreadful trade."
 
"This, I think it but right to say, I did not myself see.--
 
"Methinks he seems no bigger than his head,
The fishermen that walk upon the beach
Appear like mice."
 
"This, again, I cannot quite agree to, for where we stood, they
looked exactly like men, only smaller, which I attribute to the
effect of distance--and then Mr. Fulmer said this--
 
"And yon tall anchoring bark
Diminished to her cock--her cock a boy!"
 
"This latter part I do not in the least understand, nor what Mr.
Fulmer meant by cock a boy--however, Lavinia seemed to comprehend it
all, for she turned up her eyes and said something about the immortal
bird of heaven--so I suppose they were alluding to the eagles, which
doubtless build their aviaries in that white mountain--(immortal bard
of Avon, the lady means).
 
"After dinner we read the Paris Guide, and looked over the list of
all the people who had been incontinent during the season, whose
names are all put down in a book at the inn, for the purpose--we went
to rest, much fatigued, knowing that we should be obliged to get up
early, to be ready for embrocation in the packet in the morning.
 
"We were, however, awake with the owl, and a walking a way before
eight, we went to see the castle--which was built, the man told us,
by Seizer, so called, I conclude, from seizing whatever he could lay
his hands on--the man said moreover that he had invaded Britain and
conquered it, upon which I told him that if he repeated such a thing
in my presence again, I should write to Mr. Peel about him.
 
"We saw the inn where Alexander, the Autograph of all the Russias,
lived when he was here, and as we were going along, we met twenty or
thirty dragons mounted on horses, the ensign who commanded them was a
friend of Mr. Fulmer's--he looked at Lavinia, and seemed pleased with
her _Tooting assembly_--he was quite a _sine qua non_ of a man, and
wore tips on his lips, like Lady Hopkins's poodle.
 
"I heard Mr. Fulmer say he was a son of Marr's; he spoke it as if
every body knew his father, so I suppose he must be the son of the
poor gentleman, who was so barbarously murdered some years ago, near
Ratcliffe Highway: if he is, he is uncommon genteel.
 
"At twelve o'clock we got into a boat and rowed to the packet; it was
very fine and clear for the season, and Mr. Fulmer said he should not
dislike pulling Lavinia about, all the morning: this I believe was a
naughtycal phrase, which I did not rightly comprehend, because Mr. F.
never offered to talk in that way on shore, to either of us.
 
"The packet is not a parcel as I imagined, in which we were to be
made up for exportation, but a boat of considerable size; it is
called a cutter--why, I do not know, and did not like to ask. It
was very curious to see how it rolled about--however I felt quite
mal-apropos, and instead of exciting any of the soft sensibilities
of the other sex, a great unruly man, who held the handle of the
ship, bid me lay hold of a companion, and when I sought his arm for
protection, he introduced me to a ladder, down which I ascended into
the cabin, one of the most curious places I ever beheld, where ladies
and gentlemen are put upon shelves like books in a library, and
where tall men are doubled up like boot-jacks, before they can be
put away at all.
 
"A gentleman in a hairy cap without his coat, laid me perpendicularly
on a mattress, with a basin by my side, and said that was my birth;
I thought it would have been my death, for I never was so indisposed
in all my life. I behaved extremely ill to a very amiable middle-aged
gentleman with a bald head, who had the misfortune to be attending
upon his wife, in the little hole under me.
 
"There was no symphony to be found among the tars, (so called from
their smell) for just before we went off I heard them throw a painter
overboard, and directly after, they called out to one another to
hoist up an ensign. I was too ill to enquire what the poor young
gentleman had done, but after I came up stairs I did not see his body
hanging anywhere, so I conclude they had cut him down; I hope it was
not young Mr. Marr a venturing after my Lavy.
 
"I was quite shocked to find what democrats the sailors are--they
seem to hate the nobility, and especially the law lords: the way I
discovered this apathy of theirs to the nobility, was this--the very
moment we lost sight of England and were close to France, they began,
one and all, to swear first at the peer, and then at the bar, in such
gross terms as made my very blood run cold.
 
"I was quite pleased to see Lavinia sitting with Mr. Fulmer in
the travelling carriage on the outside of the packet. But Lavinia
afforded great proofs of her good bringing up, by commanding her
feelings--it is curious what could have agitated the billiary ducks
of my stomach, because I took every precaution which is recommended
in different books to prevent ill-disposition. I had some mutton
chops at breakfast, some Scotch marmalade on bread and butter, two
eggs, two cups of coffee and three of tea, besides toast, a little
fried whiting, some potted charr, and a few shrimps, and after
breakfast I took a glass of warm white wine negus, and a few oysters,
which lasted me till we got into the boat, when I began eating
gingerbread nuts, all the way to the packet, and then was persuaded
to take a glass of bottled porter to keep every thing snug and
comfortable."
 
* * * * *
 
And here ends our present communication. We are mightily obliged
to Miss Higginbottom, and shall with great pleasure continue the
journal, whenever we are presented with it.
 
 
IV.
 
HIGGINBOTTOM AND RAMSBOTTOM.
 
TO JOHN BULL.
 
Montague Place, Dec. 24, 1823.
 
SIR,--I never wished either my wife or daughter to turn authoresses,
as I think ladies which write books are called, and I should have set
my face against the publication of my wife's Journal of her Tour if I
had been consulted; but the truth is, they seldom ask me anything as
to what is to be done, until they have first done it themselves.
 
Now I like you, because you have done the West Indians a good turn,
and also because you try to put down the papishes; but there _is_ a
thing which under all the circumstances vexes me, because, as you
may remember, Mr. Burke said, "anything which is worth doing is
worth doing well." What I quarrel with you for is, that you put my
wife's name and my daughter's name as Mrs. and Miss Higginbottom,
whereas our name is Ramsbottom, and whether it be the stupidity of
your printers, or that my daughter, who has been three years at an
uncommon fine school at Hackney, cannot write plain, I do not pretend
to say; but I do not like it, because, since every tub should stand
on its own bottom, I think the Higginbottoms should not have the
credit of doing what the Ramsbottoms actually do.
 
Perhaps you will correct this little error: it hurts me, because, as
I said before, I like you very much, and I have got a few cases of
particular champagne, a wine which my friend Rogers tells me, you are
extremely fond of, and which he says is better than all the "real
pain" in the world--(nobody ever said it before); and when the women
return from over the horrid sea, I hope you will come and drink some
of it; so pray just make an _erratum_, as the booksellers say, and
put our right names in your paper, by doing which you will really
oblige, your's,
 
HUMPHREY RAMSBOTTOM.
 
P.S.--My second daughter is a very fine girl, and I think as clever
as Lavy, and writes a much clearer hand--you shall see her when you
come to M---- Place.
 
 
V.
 
MISS LAVINIA RAMSBOTTOM FORWARDS THE CONTINUATION OF HER MOTHER'S
DIARY.
 
TO JOHN BULL.
 
Paris, Dec. 28, 1823.
 
DEAR MR. B.,--I never was so surprised in my life as when we got
your paper here, to see that your printing people had called Ma' and
me Higginbottom--I was sure, and I told Ma' so, that it could not
be your fault, because you could not have made such a mistake in my
handwriting, nor could you have forgotten me so much as to have done
such a thing; but I suppose you were so happy and comfortable with
your friends (for judging by the number of your enemies you must have
a host of them) at this merry season, that you did not pay so much
attention to your correspondents as usual. I forgive you, my dear
Mr. B.--Christmas comes but once a-year, and I assure you we had a
small lump of roast beef (_portion pour deux_) from M. Godeau's, over
the way, to keep up our national custom--the man actually asked Ma'
whether she would have a _rost-bif de mouton_; so little do they know
anything about it. I send another portion of Ma's diary--you spelt it
"dairy" in the paper--I don't know whether Ma' put it so herself--she
is quite pleased at seeing it published, and Mr. Fulmer called and
said it was capital.
 
We have just come from the Ambassador's chapel, and are going to
see St. Cloud directly, so I cannot write much myself, but must say
adieu.--Always believe me, dear Mr. B., yours truly,
 
LAVINIA RAMSBOTTOM.
 
 
ENGLAND AND FRANCE,
 
BY DOROTHEA JULIA RAMSBOTTOM.
 
(_Continued._)
 
"When we came near the French shore, a batto (which is much the same
as a boat in England) came off to us, and, to my agreeable surprise,
an Englishman came into our ship; and I believe he was a man of great
consequence, for I overheard him explaining some dreadful quarrel which had taken place in our Royal Family.

댓글 없음: