2017년 3월 1일 수요일

A Lady of England 18

A Lady of England 18


NELL. I should say very singular indeed, did I not know its
cause.
 
WRIG. Is it presumptuous to inquire what that cause may be?
 
NELL. O I’ll tell you in a moment. It all arises out of the
freaks and folly of Mr. Grim of Grimhaggard Hall, who had, I
am sorry to say, the kindness to leave us this property, and
thereby consigned me to the dolefuls for the rest of my life.
 
WRIG. Was the estate bequeathed under any unpleasant
conditions? I never heard your respected father complain of
such.
 
NELL. O it is all _right_ to my father because it was all
_left_ to him. But you shall hear. This Mr. Grim had a
promising nephew, ... and this nephew, Mr. Atherton by name, was
very naturally considered as Mr. Grim’s heir, the old gentleman
never having persuaded any lady to marry him, and reign like
another Proserpine over the gloomy shades of Grimhaggard Hall.
 
WRIG. How then came the estate to your Father?
 
NELL. Have a little patience, my dear Mr. Wriggle, and you
shall be as learned as myself upon the subject. Well, this old
uncle quarrelled with this young nephew. I think that it was
about politics or some such absurdity; the elder was a Tory
and the junior a Radical; no, the young one was the Tory, and
the old one the Radical; and this _radical_ question was the
_root_ of the quarrel. Now what do you think the spiteful old
gentleman did?
 
WRIG. Disinherited his nephew, and left the property to Mr.
Cramp.
 
NELL. That would have been a pretty severe lesson to the young
man; but what do you say to the affectionate uncle leaving such
a clause as this in his will? That my father must only have
and hold this said Grimhaggard Hall, on condition of poor Mr.
Atherton’s never even crossing the threshold of what he once
considered his home! The place must be perfectly _heir_-tight.
If he ever passes twelve hours under this roof, the whole
estate is to revert to him.
 
WRIG. Such a clause argues little charity; but perhaps it may
ultimately prove for the benefit of him whom it was designed to
injure.
 
NELL. Ah, you think that Mr. Atherton may still manage to
get his property out of his old uncle’s _clause_! I am sure
I wish that Mr. Grim had left the dull place to him, or any
one but us; but then my Father is not of my mind. Yet even he
has not an atom of enjoyment of his prize, from the perpetual
fear of losing it. He has heard that young Atherton is very
sharp and clever; of course he will try to regain his rights
by any means that may present themselves; so I really believe
that Papa expects him to appear some day or other through the
key-hole. The gate is kept constantly locked,--luckily, one
can see the high-road from the house,--nothing in the shape
of a Man is permitted to pass it; we have even parted with
all men-servants, lest Mr. Atherton should manage to get in
disguised as a lackey. Grimhaggard Hall is a regular Convent. A
travelling pedlar is regarded with suspicion; the butcher-boy
must hand the leg of mutton over the gate; the young apothecary
is an object of terror,--I could not have a tooth pulled out,
were I to die for it. Dear me, how it is raining! The weather
seems endeavouring to find out whether it be possible to make
Grimhaggard Hall look a little duller than usual.
 
WRIG. I hope Miss Cob may be fortunate in having finer weather
for her journey to-morrow.
 
NELL. She is on the road to-day, like John Gilpin’s hat and
wig. She was to leave Puddingham this morning, and rest
to-night at the Jolly Bridecake at Mouseton. I hope the coach
is provided with oar and rudders, for she will certainly have
to swim for it!...
 
In the midst of this talk an artist’s gig is smashed outside the front
gate; and the artist, Mr. Scull, being much shaken, is actually admitted
within the walls of the old Hall, to the great disquiet of Mr. Cramp, who
is determined that, come what may, the young man shall not remain through
the night. It is a pelting day, and no other conveyance seems likely
to pass; while the artist is plainly unable to walk the distance which
separates Grimhaggard Hall from the next town. While this matter is still
under discussion, a ring at the front-door bell is heard, and ‘a woman
of very singular appearance’ is seen ‘standing in the rain, without an
umbrella, as if water were her native element.’
 
NELL. Who can it be? [_Runs to the window._] Why, how tall she
is! she looks as though she had grown a foot since that dress
was made for her. What an extraordinary figure! Why, Sarah is
actually letting her in. Papa, we have not had so many visitors
since we came here. Grimhaggard Hall is growing quite gay.
 
CRAMP. I will go and meet this strange guest. [_Exit._]
 
NELL. It cannot be--it cannot be Miss Cob! Such a governess
would kill me either with terror or with laughter.
 
WRIG. You were in expectation, Madam, of some one remarkable
for eccentricity. We must not always judge of the qualities of
the mind by the singularity of the exterior.
 
_Enter MR. CRAMP and MISS COB._
 
CRAMP. Miss Cob,--my daughter. [_NELLY makes a curtsey, MISS
COB a bow._]
 
NELL. [_Aside to WRIGGLE._] I shall never keep my countenance.
 
WRIG. [_Aside._] That is to be regretted, for it is a very fair
one.
 
CRAMP. We did not expect you to-night, Ma’am. Did you not
purpose sleeping at Mouseton?
 
MISS C. The inn was chock-full.
 
CRAMP. But how came you to be on foot? You never have walked
all the way! Where is your conveyance? It would be of the
utmost service to me.
 
MISS C. Smashed on the road.
 
CRAMP. Well, if all the gigs and cabs in England are not in
coalition against me this day! And where is your luggage?
 
MISS C. Coming. You did not expect me to carry it on my back,
like a snail, did ye?
 
WRIG. Miss Cob, like an experienced general, leaves her baggage
in the rear.
 
NELL. I should rather have expected to find it in the _van_.
You are very wet, Ma’am; shall I help you off with your cloak?
 
MISS C. O never mind. I’m neither sugar nor salt; only it’s a
plaguy thing to have one’s dress so long, walking through such
a bog.
 
NELL. [_Aside._] How _long_ she may have had her dress, I know
not; but in one sense I am sure it is short enough.
 
MISS C. This seems a good big house, but rather too much like a
prison. Have you those bars on all the windows?
 
CRAMP. On all.
 
MISS C. And how many men-servants do you keep?
 
CRAMP. None at all. [_Aside._] What impertinent curiosity!
 
NELL. [_Aside._] Shall I venture to address her again? I can
scarcely command myself. [_Aloud._] Pray, Ma’am, are you fond
of music?
 
MISS C. I’m a regular dab at it.
 
NELL. What instrument do you play?
 
MISS C. All sorts of instruments, from the drum to the Jew’s
harp.
 
NELL. You don’t play the cornopion?
 
MISS C. Like bricks,--and sing all the time. You shall hear me
to-morrow. [_All stare in mute amazement._]
 
CRAMP. May I trouble you, Ma’am, to let me see your letter of
introduction from Lady Myres again?
 
MISS C. Heartily welcome. You will read all about me there.
Full details of manners and accomplishments. She says I’m a

댓글 없음: