2017년 3월 2일 목요일

A Lady of England 94

A Lady of England 94



TO MISS ‘LEILA’ HAMILTON.
 
‘_Feb. 4, 1885._
 
‘The interesting Confirmation took place on Saturday, ... after
which we partook of the Holy Communion. I think Herbert said
that there were 41 Communicants. We never had so many before in
our chapel. The dear, saintly Bishop left on Tuesday morning.’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_March 28, 1885._
 
‘You should have seen Ellie and me down on the floor to-day,
pinning down the dusters for the chess-board. It so happens
that there is an unusual influx of Native Christian visitors
at present--R. R., his winsome lady and two daughters, J.’s
mother, and S., a fledged bird, and these with the numerous
Singhas and the Native Pastor will make quite a gathering. I
rather expect to play badly; but the great thing is to be
quick and dashing, and to move as many pieces as possible;
and not to be disturbed by the bursts of laughter likely to
follow any check given or piece taken. Would you not like to be
present,--near me?
 
‘Well, as I rather expected, I was beaten, though I had the
best of the game at first. I never heard such noisy pieces
of chess as the dear brown boys were, when they were first
marshalled on the board, and had to don their crowns, regal or
mural, their mitres and their horses’ heads. Our Afghan hero,
C. C., was a knight, and enjoyed himself very much. I think
that there was only one piece, or at most two, that was not
moved.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_April 23, 1885._--My nephew Herbert ... is absent again on
Mission work. He has heard that there is a spirit of earnest
inquiry amongst a number of poor low-caste village folk, I
think about ten or eleven miles from Batala. He has gone to
look personally into the matter; and if he finds that these
lowly peasants are really seeking after God, we will try to
make some arrangement for their instruction. Herbert will see
if it be advisable for an English lady and Native Bible-woman
to go for a short time, and to fix some suitable agent (Native)
to reside amongst the poor people, and start a school. Of
course, this involves expense; but if corn at last be springing
up, it must not be neglected. It is such a comfort to have one,
wise, good, and active, like dear Herbert, to look after such
matters....
 
‘If you happen to meet with dear Mrs. W----, please tell her
that her Cross gleams in my room every night. Her pretty straw
basket is so _much_ admired in the zenanas....
 
‘Our Church-building is growing rapidly under Herbert’s
auspices. The “Mission Plough” too surprises me by its
growth. I hear that there are 105 boys there now. But we have
not a sufficiently strong staff of teachers. The Inspector
(Government) was pleased with the school, but said that we
should have a stronger staff. We know that too.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_May 8._--I saw Miss B. a few days ago. She saw you in London,
and thought that we resembled each other. “But I hope that my
sister looks much younger than I do,” said I. “Does she look
twenty years younger?” To my satisfaction, Miss B. agreed that
you did. So my Laura keeps her looks, though not feeling so
strong as I should wish her to do.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_June 22, 1885._ ... I must amuse ---- with the following
_perfectly authentic_ anecdote. There was a nice young couple,
as nice as Fred and Maud perhaps, and they had a nice little
baby. One day the inexperienced Mamma banged the baby’s head.
Accidents _will_ happen, you know, in the best-regulated
families. The young mother was conscientious; she felt that she
ought to confess the banging to the father of the child. With
tearful eyes she went to her husband, and owned that she had
banged her baby’s head. Then the husband, gaining courage from
the brave woman’s truthfulness, confessed that _he had done the
very same_! he had banged the baby’s head, but had not liked to
own it. The baby does not appear to have been the worse for the
two bangs; perhaps they were on opposite sides of the little
head, and counteracted each other. Still--fathers and mothers
had better not try the experiment of how much banging a baby
will bear. Don’t you think so, darling?’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_July 13._--I was interested in hearing what was said to
E. by the lad last baptized.... “I have nearly got through my
temptations,” said he. Of course, I cannot give his exact
words, which were in Urdu; but their drift. The lad thought
that forty days of temptation succeed a convert’s Baptism, and
said, “I have only eleven left.” ... “But do you think that you
will never be tempted afterwards?” asked E. Poor B. did not
think that, but he thought that the first forty days were the
worst; and perhaps he is right.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_Nov. 13, 1885._--I think that it will amuse you and my dear
god-daughter, if I tell you of my first attempt regularly to
make a marriage, and what were the consequences thereof.
 
‘I had been told by the experienced Native Christian, whom I
will call M., the proper way to carry on a negotiation. He told
me long ago that a “Buzurg” (elder) should ask the parents for
the maid. There being a union which we Missionaries thought
suitable and desirable, ... I, the most buzurg of all our circle,
at the desire of the fine young suitor,--whom I will call
B.,--went in my duli to M.’s house, to ask his lovely daughter
in marriage for my client. I managed to have both parents
present, and sent the maiden away. It would have been a great
breach of etiquette for her to have heard me.
 
‘I felt that I was doing all in proper Oriental style. The
parents listened; we talked over the advantages of the union;
and M. and his wife were to give me their reply on the
following day.
 
‘But Orientals take their time. I heard nothing on the
following day; so on the third I sent my salaam to M. and
desired to see him. He came, smiled, was highly agreeable, said
that _he_ was willing, but must consult his brother, etc.
 
‘_I_ thought that some one else should be consulted; namely,
the young lady. I was going to Amritsar ... so I resolved to
have a private interview with the maiden, whose future was to
be decided upon. The lovely--let’s call her X.--had returned
to ----; so there I sought her, and had a _tête-à-tête_. I
wanted to know whether _she_ cared for B., whom she had had
many opportunities of seeing from her childhood.... We had almost
taken it for granted that X. must care for him.
 
‘Hitherto all had gone pretty smoothly. I had even thought what
presents I should give, and the Weitbrechts and I had talked
over the day for the wedding. But an unexpected obstacle arose.
X. could make no objection to B.; I do not think that she has a
thought for any other suitor; but she does not want to marry at
all! “I want to read,” she said. “I wish to remain _like you_!”
 
‘This opened our eyes to a peril in the infant Church, of
which you probably never would dream. Ellie and I set to
counting up young maidens who are of a suitable age to become
brides,--well-educated, nice girls,--and came to the conclusion
that a kind of fashion is setting in _not to marry_. The Native
delights in imitating the European. The girls see that most
female Missionaries, whom they love and honour, are unmarried.
They enjoy freedom.... Christian women are at a premium. _Widows_
are eagerly sought as Bible-women....
 
‘Of course, I would never wish X. to marry one she does not
care for. I have told her father that the matter is at an end.
But _he_ looks grave enough, and sees the peril to our Infant
Church as clearly as we do. If our nice maidens scorn to marry,
where are our fine, well-educated men to find Christian wives?
How are girls--except in very rare cases--to work in zenanas
without the care of a husband? It would be thought improper,
hardly safe.
 
‘“The consequences are” that I have written a little book
in honour of the holy estate of Matrimony; which--the new
book--has had Ellie’s approval, and I am sending it to Herbert
for his. What we want in India are good wives and mothers. No
science or literature can make up for the lack of such.’
 
It was in the summer of this year that Miss Tucker mentioned in
one letter a curious little scene at the railway station. She had
gone there to meet a friend, who failed to arrive. Two young Native
Christians happening to be present, and also a young English officer
of her acquaintance, she brought them together with a kind of half
introduction. When she had left the station, the officer began talking to
the two, asking lightly why they had left their own religion for another.
‘It’s all the same,’ he said. ‘Muhammadans, Hindus, Christians, all
know that there is One God.’ This far from brilliant remark received an
answer which it well deserved. ‘If so,’ one of the Indians replied, ‘what
difference is there between you, us, and the Devil?’ The train moved on,
carrying the speaker away; and no more could be said. But more might have
weakened the force of the retort.
 
A few slight memoranda, contributed by two Native Christians, come next.
The first are sent by Dr. I. U. Nasir, formerly one of the boys in the
Baring High School, already quoted in an earlier chapter. He speaks
of himself as an adopted ‘son’ of Miss Tucker’s, not, like others a
‘nephew.’ The second set of extracts, which I give last, not because
they are of inferior interest, but because I wish to accentuate one
suggestion, by letting it end the chapter, are from the Rev. Mian Sadiq,
at one time Indian clergyman in Amritsar, and later the same in Batala.
 
 
I.
 
‘Of all the India’s sons, especially those with whom she had
to deal at Batala, it was my privilege to be called her “son.”
She was an “Aunt” to a good many Missionaries, but only did she
allow me to call her “Mother”; and she did love me as a true
mother....
 
‘The one thing most noticeable about her was that she was so
self-denying and humble, considerate for others’ feelings, and
tender-hearted. She would tend the sick with such motherly
care; and if the disease was a dangerous one, or infectious,
she would insist on sitting by the bedside, and not allow
others to run the risk of contracting the disease. On one
occasion a poor, dirty convert was suffering from fever, and
had no clothes. Miss Tucker gave him her bedding for the night,
and spent the winter night herself sitting before a fire. Above
all she hated “I’s.” I remember only one occasion when she
desired us to do something for her. She had regular morning
and evening walks in the fields; but getting a little tired
sometimes of waiting till the Church bell sounded, she wished
a small terrace to be raised, just sufficient to seat her. A
small rude platform was raised for her by the side of a babūl
tree. She may have selected that particular spot, because it
gave a very picturesque view of the “stately palace,” with the
“tank with lilies blowing” in the foreground,--now turned into
an artificial canal.

댓글 없음: