2017년 3월 10일 금요일

Charlie Codmans Cruise 27

Charlie Codmans Cruise 27



The worst of it was they could not prudently resent it. Antonio had
in the eyes of all been guilty of a glaring offence in exceeding his
orders, and had justly brought upon himself the punishment he had
received. However, the justice or injustice of the matter would have
weighed little with Captain Brace if he had not been assured that
it would not be safe for him to go further. The law, at the time of
which I am speaking, gave almost unlimited power to the commander of
a vessel over the lives and liberties of those who were placed under
him, yet most were aware that there was a point at which it was wise to
pause. At the commencement of the scene, there had been audible murmurs
among the crew, the significance of which the captain and mate would
understand. The habit of subordination, and the knowledge that this
was in a certain sense a voluntary act on the part of Bill Sturdy,
had prevented anything more, but if the captain had gone to greater
extremities, the consequences might have been serious.
 
Meanwhile Antonio picked himself up, smarting under the terrible wounds
which had been inflicted by the lash wielded with the whole of Bill
Sturdy's enormous strength. Indeed, although he had received but two
stripes, and his enemy thirteen, it may be doubted whether the pain
inflicted by those two were not equal to that of the greater number.
 
Antonio had slunk down into the forecastle to bathe his back and obtain
fresh clothes, for his shirt had been rent asunder. Bill Sturdy, on
the other hand, proceeded to attire himself on deck and went about
his work, without showing outwardly the pain which he must have been
suffering.
 
Captain Brace took no public notice of the retribution which had
followed the punishment. He didn't dare to act as he wished, and
therefore chose to pass it unnoticed. But an hour afterwards, as he sat
in conference with the mate, his fury burst the bounds he had imposed
upon it.
 
"Curse that fellow!" he exclaimed. "Is he forever destined to thwart my
designs? I felt that I could willingly have flogged him myself till
the last breath left his body."
 
"It is a pity Antonio ventured to exceed his orders."
 
"Yes, the fool was richly repaid for his act, but I could wish it had
been by a different hand."
 
"That extra blow gave Sturdy a pretext for his summary vengeance.
But for that his conduct could have been construed into mutiny and
disrespect to you."
 
"And then I might have put him in irons."
 
"You might do it now, but for----"
 
"But for the crew, you would say. That alone prevents me. The fellow,
unluckily, has secured their sympathy. Would that I could devise some
way for taking vengeance safely upon this rebellious scoundrel."
 
The mate leaned his head upon his hand, and gave himself up to
reflection. Something occurred to him, for lifting his head again, he
asked,--
 
"Have you ever been in Rio Janeiro, Captain Brace?"
 
"Never but once, and that some nine or ten years since."
 
"There are desperadoes in that city, as in others," pursued Randall,
fixing his eyes intently upon the captain.
 
"I do not quite catch your meaning, Mr. Randall."
 
"Men who are little troubled by conscientious scruples, but are willing
to undertake the most dangerous and illegal enterprises--_for small
consideration_.
 
"I begin to understand you now," said the captain.
 
"Shall I proceed?"
 
"Do so."
 
The mate rightly construed this into an intimation that his
proposition, though hinting at crime, would not prove distasteful to
the captain. This, knowing the character of his superior officer, did
not surprise him, and he proceeded.
 
"I think you apprehend my meaning, Captain Brace. This man is a thorn
in our sides. He is exerting a bad influence on board the ship. He is
undermining your influence with the crew."
 
"That is all true, Mr. Randall. What, then, is your advice in this
state of affairs?"
 
"My advice is, that this fellow _should be removed_."
 
"To a place better fitted for him," suggested the captain, with a grim
smile.
 
"Precisely so."
 
"And through the agency of such men as you have spoken of?"
 
"That is my proposition."
 
"It deserves thinking of. May I ask if you have any acquaintance among
the fraternity, or whether you have ever had any occasion to employ
their services?"
 
"I did on one occasion."
 
"Do you mind giving the particulars?"
 
"To you, no. Some years since I shipped as common sailor on board the
Porcupine, bound from New York to Rio. On the voyage one of the sailors
on several occasions insulted me, and I determined upon revenge. At Rio
I fell in with a desperate character, who for a comparatively small sum
engaged to do my bidding."
 
"Well?"
 
"There is not much to tell. One night this man was passing through
a narrow street, quite unsuspicious of danger, when he was suddenly
struck from behind by a bludgeon, and--_he never came back to the
ship_."
 
"Did no suspicion attach to you?"
 
"How should there? Who was to betray me? Not my agent, or in so doing
he would betray himself. This is the first time I have ever spoken of
it, but I am safe with you."
 
"Perfectly. You say the consideration was small."
 
"Fifty dollars only. I dare say the fellow considered himself well
paid. Besides he took whatever his victim had about him."
 
"Thank you for the suggestion, Mr. Randall. I will furnish the money,
if you will undertake the management of the business when we reach Rio."
 
"With pleasure," replied the mate, and he probably spoke the truth.
 
While this conversation was going on, Charlie in another part of the
vessel was commiserating Bill Sturdy on his injuries.
 
"And it was on my account, too," said the boy, regretfully.
 
"Better me than you, my lad," said the old sailor stoutly. "Don't
trouble yourself about that. It was my own free will, and if I had been
unwilling all the power of the captain couldn't have made me submit
to it. Besides there was one thing that repaid me for it all. Antonio
got something he'll remember to the latest day of his life, I reckon.
However that ain't what I want to say now. It's just this. I haven't
any particular inducements to stay aboard this vessel, and I've about
made up my mind to give them the slip at the first port we come to, if
you'll go with me."
 
"Where do we touch first?"
 
"At Rio, I surmise."
 
"I'm ready to go with you, Bill, whenever you say the word," said
Charlie, promptly.
 
"That's right, my lad."
 
And so the agreement was made.
 
 
 
 
XXIX.
 
DANGER THREATENS BILL STURDY.
 
 
It is my intention to pass rapidly over the time which intervened
between the events which have been described, and the arrival of the
Bouncing Betsey at Rio Janeiro. Nothing happened of sufficient interest
to call for record.
 
As for our hero and Bill Sturdy, their position was, unquestionably,
more agreeable and less disturbed by incidents than before. This was
not owing to any change in the feelings of the captain and mate, but
in consequence of the iniquitous compact into which they had entered.
They felt secure of ultimate vengeance; they could, therefore, afford
to wait. Indeed, they felt that they should be more likely to secure
the end they had in view if, for the present, they should so act as to
lull asleep any suspicions which might be entertained of their agency
in the affair after it was over.
 
But Bill Sturdy was not deceived. He determined to keep his
"weather-eye open," as he expressed it, and be on the lookout for
squalls.
 
So the time passed.
 
It was a bright, tropical day. The thick garments which all had worn on
leaving port were laid aside, and every one was dressed in light and
thin attire.
 
"We shall probably reach Rio to-morrow, Mr. Randall," observed the captain.

댓글 없음: