2017년 3월 9일 목요일

Charlie Codmans Cruise 5

Charlie Codmans Cruise 5


"No one could blame her. In fact it was perfectly preposterous for him
to think of mating with her. Did you speak?"
 
"No!" snarled Peter.
 
"I thought you said something. I repeat, that she had plenty of reasons
for rejecting him. She was just sixteen, and beautiful as she was
young, and had no lack of admirers ready to devote themselves to her.
As for Peter Thornton, ha! ha! he never could have been very handsome,
from all I have heard of him. In the first place, he was forty or more."
 
"Thirty-eight," muttered Peter, below his breath.
 
"And his features were irregular, besides being marked with the
small-pox, which he had had in early life. He had a long, hooked nose
like a bird's beak, an enormous mouth, little sharp gray eyes like a
ferret's, and his hair was already mingled with gray. On the whole, he
hadn't much beauty to boast of. Did you say anything?"
 
"No!" snarled Peter, sourly. He was sitting with his elbows on his
knees, and his face resting on his hands.
 
"Beg pardon, I thought you spoke. To add to Peter's charms of person,
his disposition was not the sweetest that ever was. He had a harsh
and crabbed manner, which would have led to his discharge if he had
not had one saving trait. I will say, to his credit, that he was a
capital book-keeper. Of his honesty his employer thought he was well
assured, and probably if nothing had occurred of a character to wound
Peter's pride, he might have continued faithful to his trust. One day,
however, Peter took an opportunity, when he had been calling at the
house of his employer on business connected with the counting-room,
to declare his love to the young lady, whom he found alone in the
drawing-room. You can imagine how much she was amused--why don't you
laugh, Peter? You look as glum as if it were _you_ that had met with
this disappointment. The young lady told him plainly, as soon as she
got over her astonishment, that she could give him no encouragement
whatever. Perhaps there might have been in her tone something of the
aversion which it was natural for her to feel at such a proposition
from one so much beneath her. If they had married, it would have been
a second case of Beauty and the Beast. Beg pardon, Peter, I believe you
said something."
 
"No!" snarled Peter, fiercely. "Have you got nearly through? Your story
is nothing to me--nothing, I say. I want to go to bed. You have kept me
up too late already."
 
"I can't help that, Peter. It took me too long to get in for me to
resign readily the pleasure of your society. I say, Peter, what a jolly
good fellow you are,--quite a lively companion,--only it strikes me you
might be a little more civil to your company. It isn't exactly polite
to keep telling one how anxious you are for him to go.
 
"As I was saying, when you interrupted me, Eleanor told Peter very
decidedly that she could not for an instant entertain his suit. He
endeavored to change her determination, being an ardent, impulsive
lover, and probably in her impatience she said something which
irritated her lover, who went off in a rage. After a while, however,
he was foolish enough to open the subject again. Of course she was
extremely annoyed at his persistence, and seeing no other way of
escaping the persecution, she felt it necessary to acquaint her father
with what had transpired. The merchant was naturally indignant at his
book-keeper's presumption, and calling him aside one morning threatened
to discharge him from his employment unless he should forthwith desist.
This was, of course, a great blow to Peter's pride. He had the good
sense to say nothing, however, but none the less determined within
himself to be revenged upon those who had scorned his advances, as
soon as an opportunity offered. I don't know as I blame him. Perhaps I
should have done the same under similar circumstances."
 
There was a trace of agitation upon the pale and wrinkled countenance
of the miser.
 
"This it was," continued the stranger, "taken in connection with
Peter's natural cupidity that led to the defalcation I have mentioned.
So far as the merchant was concerned his revenge was completely
successful, for he was the means of his ruin and premature death. And
now, Peter," he added, suddenly changing his tone, "can you tell me
what induced you to change your name from Thornton to Manson?"
 
"Me!" exclaimed the miser, starting to his feet in consternation, and
glaring wildly at the speaker.
 
 
 
 
V.
 
THE COMPACT.
 
 
"Yes," said the stranger, composedly; "I repeat the question, why did
you change your name to Manson?"
 
"What--do--you--mean?" the old man faltered slowly.
 
"I mean just what I say, and I see you understand me well enough."
 
"You can't prove it," said Peter, with an uneasy glance at his
imperturbable companion.
 
"Can't I? Perhaps not. I should say the mysterious knowledge you seem
to possess of the main incidents in my story would prove something."
 
"That isn't evidence in a court of law," said Peter, regaining a degree
of confidence.
 
"Perhaps not; but I say, Peter, don't you recognize me?"
 
The old man scanned his features eagerly, and a sudden look of
remembrance satisfied the latter that he was not forgotten.
 
"I see you do remember me," he said; "I thought you hadn't forgotten
John Randall. At any rate he hasn't forgotten you, though twenty years
have passed, and I was then but a young man. I used to see you too
often about the streets of Havana not to remember that hooked nose,
those gray eyes, and (excuse my plainness of speech) that large mouth.
Yes, Peter, your features are impressed upon my memory too indelibly to
be effaced."
 
Peter Manson remembered his companion as one who had had the reputation
of being a "wild" young man. He had been placed at school by his father
without any profitable result. On his father's death he squandered,
in dissipation, the property which came to him, and had since devoted
himself to the sea.
 
"Having settled this little matter of your identity," continued
Randall, "I am ready to finish my story. I told you that Eleanor
married the young man whose name you remembered so well. He was poor,
dependent upon his salary as a clerk, and thanks to you his wife had
nothing to hope from her father. They were obliged to live in a very
humble way. At length, thinking he could do better here, he removed to
Boston, where his early life had been spent."
 
"To Boston!" muttered Peter.
 
"The removal took place some six years since. They had three children
when they first came here, but two died, leaving only the second, a
boy, named Charlie. I should think he might be fourteen years of age.
And now, would you like to know if the husband is still living?"
 
"Is he?" asked Peter, looking up.
 
"No. He died about a year since, of a fever."
 
"And--and Eleanor? What of her?"
 
"For six months past she has been a tenant of yours."
 
"A tenant of mine!" exclaimed the miser.
 
"It is even so. She occupies a second-story room in the tenement-house
in----Street."
 
"And I have met her face to face?"
 
"I dare say you have. Your tenants are pretty sure to have that
pleasure once a month. But doesn't it seem strange that Eleanor Gray,
the beautiful daughter of your Havana employer, should after these
twenty years turn up in Boston the tenant of her father's book-keeper?"
 
"Ha! ha!" chuckled the miser, hoarsely, "she isn't so much better off
than if she had married old Peter."
 
"As to being better off," said Randall, "I presume she is better off,
though she can't call a hundred dollars her own, than if she were
installed mistress of your establishment. Faugh! Poorly as she is
obliged to live, it is luxury, compared with your establishment."
 
He glanced about him with a look of disgust.
 
"If you don't like it," said Peter, querulously, "there is no use of
your staying. It is past my bedtime."
 
"I shall leave you in a few minutes, Peter, but I want to give you
something to think of first. Don't you see that your property is in
danger of slipping from your hands?"
 
"My property in danger!" exclaimed Peter, wildly; "what do you mean;
where is the danger?" Then, his voice sinking to its usual whine,--"not
that I have any of any consequence, I am poor--very poor."
 
"Only from what I see I could easily believe it, but I happen to know
better."
 
"Indeed, I am----"
 
"No more twaddle about poverty," said Randall, decidedly, "it won't go
down. I am not so easily deceived as you may imagine. I know perfectly
well that you are worth at the very least, thirty thousand dollars."
 
"Thirty thousand dollars!" exclaimed the miser, raising both hands in
astonishment.
 
"Yes, Peter, and I don't know but I may say forty thousand. Why, it
can't be otherwise, with your habits. Twenty years ago you made off
with twenty thousand, which has been accumulating ever since. Your
personal expenses haven't made very large inroads upon your income,
judging from your scarecrow appearance. So much the worse for you. You
might have got some good from it. Now it must go to others."
 
"To others!" exclaimed Peter, turning pale.

댓글 없음: