2017년 3월 5일 일요일

Luck and Pluck 25

Luck and Pluck 25


"He drank several times on his way back in the stage, and the boy with
whom I rode over says he has been intemperate for years."
 
"Certainly he is not a fit person to have charge of you. Does he know
that you have come over here to-day?"
 
"No, sir."
 
"It is evidently Mrs. Oakley's intention that you you should not
be allowed to communicate with me, or any of your other friends in
Hampton. So, no doubt, she has instructed her brother. There must be
some motive for this."
 
Squire Selwyn looked thoughtfully at John as he said this, perhaps with
a view of drawing out John's opinion.
 
"I think," said John, hesitatingly, "that she is going to look for the
will."
 
"I won't say whether I agree with you or not," said Squire Selwyn,
cautiously. "It is not best to charge any one with wrong thoughts or
intentions too hastily, but it is well to be prepared for what may be
done to our disadvantage. Of course it is for your interest that the
will should be found, provided the discovery is made public."
 
"Yes, sir."
 
"But would Mrs. Oakley make it public, if found, when it is for her
interest to keep it concealed? That is an important question."
 
"She can do what she pleases so far as I am concerned. She has sent me
away from home, where I shall know nothing that is going on."
 
"In one sense you are wholly in the power of your stepmother," said the
lawyer; "but you will have some one to look after your interests. Your
father was my friend, and you are my son's friend. I shall do what I
can in your behalf."
 
"Thank you, sir," said John, gratefully. "I felt sure you would, and
that is why I wrote to you at once."
 
"As soon as I return to Hampton,--and that will be to-morrow,--I will
call on Mrs. Oakley, and, without letting her know how I came by the
information, will set before her your present position, and demand that
she pursue a different course. The result I will communicate to you.
How do you wish me to direct any letter I may have occasion to write?"
 
"To Milbank, if you please, Squire Selwyn. If directed to Jackson, I
feel sure that it would fall into Mr. Huxter's hands."
 
"And never reach you. Very likely you are right. Then I will direct to
Milbank, and will write at once upon having my interview with Mrs.
Oakley."
 
"Suppose Mr. Huxter ill-treats me in the mean time?" suggested John. "I
think it is his intention to set me to work next week."
 
"Did he not say you were boarding with him?"
 
"That is what Mrs. Oakley said in her letter."
 
"Then if he is paid a full price for your board, I do not see that he
has any claim upon your services. It is better, however, to avoid cause
of quarrel until you hear from me."
 
"And if you cannot induce Mrs. Oakley to change her plans?" asked John.
"You wouldn't advise me to stay with Mr. Huxter?"
 
"Didn't your father have a married sister?" inquired Squire Selwyn. "I
think I have heard so."
 
"Yes, sir. Her husband kept a country store in the town of Wilton."
 
"That is about fifty miles to the westward. Well, though I don't in
general approve of a boy's running away, it might be advisable, should
your stepmother continue obstinate, and Mr. Huxter seem disposed to
abuse you, to leave here, and seek out your aunt. Should you make this
change, you would of course immediately communicate with me."
 
"Yes, sir. Thank you for the advice. I never thought of that before;
but I think it is the best thing I could do."
 
"Have you any money, John?" asked Squire Selwyn, putting his hand into
his pocket.
 
"Yes, sir; thank you. I have thirty dollars."
 
"Indeed!" said the lawyer, surprised. "Did Mrs. Oakley supply you with
so much?"
 
"No, sir; but when my father was alive he gave me an allowance of a
dollar a week pocket-money. I had saved up thirty dollars, thinking
I might some time want to make a large purchase,--a row-boat, or
something of that kind. When I came away with Mr. Huxter, I thought I
had better bring it with me."
 
"It is lucky you did so. You may have occasion to use it. Does Mr.
Huxter know you have this money?"
 
"He knows I have some money," said John, "but probably does not suspect
how much."
 
"I advise you to take care of it then. Such a man is not to be trusted.
If he claims the power of controlling you, he may demand this money."
 
"I don't think he will get it," said John, resolutely.
 
"I hope not. You were always a quiet boy; but I have observed that you
were not deficient in firmness."
 
"I hope you don't think me obstinate, Squire Selwyn," said John,
smiling.
 
"No, I don't think you that."
 
"If I find myself in the wrong I am always ready to confess it and give
up."
 
"That's right, my lad. It's a thing that some of us who are much older
than you find it hard to do. By the way, I suppose you wonder how I
happen to be here so opportunely for you."
 
"I have been wondering all the time, but did not like to ask."
 
"One of my clients placed some business in my hands relating to
property which required me to consult the county records of this
county."
 
"You didn't come through by the stage?"
 
"No, I thought it too long and tedious. So I came by a roundabout
way which left me only twenty miles' staging. I travelled a greater
number of miles than you, but in considerably less time. Now, John, is
there anything more I can do for you before I set about the particular
business which called me here?"
 
"No, sir, thank you. At least I think of nothing."
 
"One thing at least let me say. We don't know how this affair is coming
out. Your stepmother may prove wholly unmanageable, especially as the
power is in her hands, as things are at present situated. Should there
come a time when you have need of further money, let me know frankly,
and I will see what I can do for you."
 
"You are very kind indeed, sir," said John, earnestly.
 
"I certainly ought to be. When I came to Hampton, a young lawyer and
without acquaintances, your father took me by the hand, and placed
his business in my hands, and influenced others to do the same. So I
consider that he laid the foundation of my present prosperity, and
therefore I shall not desert his son while he is in trouble."
 
"Thank you, Squire Selwyn," said John. "I did not know what you just
told me; but I did know that my father looked upon you as one of his
most valued friends."
 
"Well, John, good-by," said the lawyer, kindly, extending his hand.
"Keep up a good heart, and something may turn up which may set matters
right. Be sure to keep me apprised of your movements, and rely upon me
to do what I can for you in Hampton."
 
John left the court-house much encouraged by the friendly words of
Squire Selwyn. He felt that he would prove a powerful friend, and
his burden of care was diminished now that he had communicated his
situation to such a friend.
 
Just then David Wallace drove up to the gate in his wagon.
 
"Have you got through your talk?" he asked.
 
"Just finished."
 
"Jump aboard then, and we'll be getting home."
 
"I've been pretty lucky to-day, David," said John.
 
"How's that?"
 
"In the first place, in finding my letter by the side of the road. But
for that I should have thought it had gone straight. Next in meeting
you, and being saved a hot walk; and again in just meeting the very man
I wanted most to see."
 
"There's one thing you forgot," said David, roguishly.
 
"What's that?"
 
"The affectionate welcome you'll get from old Huxter when you reach
home."
 
"I don't count much on that," said John, smiling in return.

댓글 없음: