2017년 3월 9일 목요일

Luck and Pluck 51

Luck and Pluck 51


"I will tell you, John," said his aunt. "When Mr. Berry died, I
thought he owned the stock clear, and had no debts; but day before
yesterday Mr. Hall called in, and showed me a note for two thousand
dollars, signed by Mr. Berry. I don't suppose the stock is worth more
than three thousand. Of course that makes a very great difference in my
circumstances. In fact, it will leave me only a thousand dollars, at
the utmost, to support my poor children. I don't know what I shall do."
And the poor woman, whose nerves had been shaken by her grief, burst
into tears.
 
"Didn't my uncle own this building, then?" asked John.
 
"No, he never owned it. He hired it at a low rent from Mr. Mansfield,
one of the selectmen, and a rich man."
 
"Can't you keep up the store, aunt? Will not that give income enough to
support the family?"
 
"But for this note, I could. But if I have to pay that, it will leave
only a third of the store belonging to me. Then out of the profits I
must pay the rent, the wages of a salesman and a boy, before I can get
anything for myself. You see, John, there isn't much prospect."
 
"Yes," said John, thoughtfully. "It doesn't look very bright. You say,
aunt, that uncle never mentioned this note to you?"
 
"He never mentioned a syllable about it."
 
"Did he generally mention his affairs to you?"
 
"Yes; he wasn't one of those husbands that keep everything secret from
their wives. He always told me how he was getting along."
 
"When was the note dated?"
 
"A year and a half ago."
 
"Do you know whether my uncle had any particular use for so large a sum
of money at that time?"
 
"No. That is what puzzles me," said Mrs. Berry. "If he got the money, I
am sure I don't know what he did with it."
 
"Did he extend his business with it, do you think?"
 
"No, I am sure he did not. His stock is no larger now than it was six
years ago. He always calculated to keep it at about the same amount."
 
"That seems strange," said John,--"that we can't find where the money
went to, I mean; especially as it was so large a sum."
 
"Yes, John, that is what I think. There's some mystery about it. I've
thought and thought, and I can't tell how it happened."
 
"What sort of a man is Mr. Hall?" asked John, after a pause.
 
"I don't know anything against him," said Mrs. Berry.
 
"I don't know why it is," said John, "but I don't like his looks. I
took rather a prejudice against him when I saw him just now."
 
"I never liked him," said his aunt, "though I can't give any good
reason for my dislike. He never treated me in any way of which I could
complain."
 
"How long has he been in the store?"
 
"How long is it, Martha?" asked Mrs. Berry, turning to her oldest
daughter, who, by the way, was a very pretty girl, with blooming cheeks
and dark, sparkling eyes.
 
"It will be four years in October, mother."
 
"Yes, I remember now."
 
"He seems quite a young man."
 
"I think he is twenty-three."
 
"Does he get a large salary?"
 
"No, only forty dollars a month."
 
"Did you know of his having any property when he came here?"
 
"No; he seemed quite poor."
 
"Then I don't understand where he could have got the two thousand
dollars which he says he loaned uncle."
 
"I declare, John, you are right," said Mrs. Berry, looking as if new
light was thrown over the matter. "It certainly does look very strange.
I wonder I didn't think of it before; but I have had so much to think
of, that I couldn't think properly of anything. How do you account for
it, John?"
 
"I will tell you, aunt," said John, quietly. "I think the note is a
forgery, and that Mr. Hall means to cheat you out of two-thirds of your
property."
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XXVIII.
 
JOHN MAKES A DISCOVERY.
 
 
"Do you really believe this, John?" asked Mrs. Berry, in excitement.
 
"I really do, aunt. I see no other way to account for the existence of
the note."
 
"But the signature looked like Mr. Berry's," said his aunt, doubtfully.
 
"Did you examine it carefully, aunt?"
 
"No, I didn't," admitted Mrs. Berry.
 
"I should like to compare it with uncle's handwriting."
 
"I suppose Mr. Hall would think it strange if I should ask him to let
me take it."
 
"Yes; but he must do it, if he wants the note acknowledged."
 
"I have no head for business," said Mrs. Berry. "A child could cheat
me. I wish you could stay with me and look after things."
 
"Perhaps I can."
 
"But will your mother be willing?"
 
"I have no mother," said John.
 
"Your stepmother, then?"
 
"I might as well tell you, aunt, that there has been a serious
difficulty between Mrs. Oakley and myself, and I have left home."
 
"Is it possible, John? Didn't your stepmother treat you right?"
 
"I will tell you all about it, aunt, and you shall judge."
 
It was a long story, but, as we already know all about it, it is
unnecessary to give John's account. His aunt listened attentively, and
sympathized fully with John in the matter.
 
"You have been badly treated, John," she said. "I am sure my poor
brother would feel badly enough if he could know how Mrs. Oakley has
driven you from home. You do not mean to go back?"
 
"No, aunt," said John, resolutely. "Until Mrs. Oakley restores me to my
former privileges, I shall not go home."
 
"Then you must stay here, John," said his aunt.
 
"If I can be of any service to you, aunt, I will."
 
"You can be of great service to me, John. I do not feel confidence in
Mr. Hall, and you know why I cannot be sure that he is not cheating me
in the store. I want you to keep an eye upon him."
 
"I will go into the store as an assistant," said John. "That will give
me the best opportunity."
 
"But you have never been used to work," said his aunt.
 
"I must work now. Remember, aunt, Mrs. Oakley holds the property, and I
am dependent on my own exertions."
 
"It is disgraceful that it should be so, John."
 
"But it is so. Perhaps matters may come right by and by; but for the
present I must work. I will go into the store, and you shall give me my
board."
 
"You will earn more than that, John."
 
"If we get clear of Mr. Hall's note, you can do better by me. Until
then, let that be the arrangement."
 
"You don't know what a load you have lifted from my mind, John. I am
very sorry that you have been driven from home; but I am very glad to
have you here. Martha, get ready the back bedroom for John."
 
"I begin to feel myself at home already," said John, brightly.
 
"Our home is a humble one compared with the one you have left, John,"
said his aunt.
 
"But you are here, aunt, and you seem like my own mother. That will
make more than the difference to me."
 
"I hope we can make you comfortable, John. Martha, you may set the
table for supper, and get John's room ready afterwards. I think he must be hungry."

댓글 없음: