2017년 3월 9일 목요일

Luck and Pluck 56

Luck and Pluck 56


He put the roll of bills into his pocket-book, carefully deposited the
will in his side-pocket, and, shutting and locking the bureau-drawer,
placed the keys in the same position upon the table in which he had
found them, and then left the room.
 
"A pretty good day's work!" thought Ben to himself. "I think I'll go
and pay Winchester what money I have, and get him to wait a few days
for the rest."
 
Ben left the house, and wended his way to the tavern. He found
Winchester in the bar-room, smoking a cigar. He looked up inquiringly
as Ben entered.
 
"How are you, Winchester?" said Ben.
 
"All right," said the latter, noticing Ben's changed demeanor, and
auguring favorably from it. "Have a cigar?"
 
"I don't care if I do," said Ben.
 
Winchester handed him one, and the two sat down together.
 
"Oh, about that money," said Ben, after a little pause. "I can let you
have a part of it now, but I shall have to make you wait a few days for
the rest."
 
"How much can you pay me now?"
 
"One hundred and twenty dollars," said Ben.
 
"That's good," said Winchester, with satisfaction. "The fact is, I'm
deuced hard up, and need it."
 
"I don't want to pay you here," said Ben. "Come out a little way, and
I'll hand it to you."
 
"All right. I'd like a walk."
 
The two sauntered forth together, and Ben paid over the money.
 
"You'll oblige me by not mentioning to anybody that I have paid you any
money," said Ben. "I have a reason for it."
 
"Of course."
 
"I can't tell you the reason."
 
"That's your affair."
 
"Now about the rest."
 
"Yes, about the rest."
 
"I think I can get it for you in a few days."
 
"I can wait a few days to oblige you, but I must go to the city as soon
as I can get away. So please hurry up."
 
"I'll do the best I can. This morning," he added, "I didn't see how
I was going to get the money. My mother wouldn't look upon it as we
do, as a debt of honor; but since then I've been lucky enough to get
possession of one of her secrets, and I think it will help me."
 
"Glad of it," said Winchester, "for your sake. I don't care, of course,
how you get the money, as long as you do get it. That's the main thing,
you know."
 
"Yes, I see."
 
"Now what do you say to another little game of billiards?"
 
"I can't stake any more money. I've lost enough," said Ben, sensibly.
 
"Then let it be a friendly game--just a little trial of skill, that's
all."
 
To this Ben was not averse, and the two made their way as so often
before to the billiard saloon.
 
In the mean time Mrs. Oakley returned home from her afternoon visit.
She had not yet missed her keys, but on going up to her chamber,
discovered them lying upon the table.
 
"How terribly careless I have been!" she said. "I hope they have not
been seen."
 
Tolerably sure of this, she opened the upper bureau-drawer, and looked
for the portemonnaie. It was in the same place. She opened it, and
found it empty. Her eyes flashed with indignation.
 
"Some one has been to the drawer," she said.
 
She next thought of the will, and felt for it. _It was not there!_
She turned pale, and with nervous fingers took everything out of the
drawer, hoping to find it misplaced. But her search was vain. The will
was not to be found.
 
She sank back into a chair, and exclaimed with passionate regret:--
 
"Fool that I was! Why did I not make all sure by burning it?"
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XXXII.
 
MRS. OAKLEY'S SUSPICIONS.
 
 
The sudden disappearance of the will struck Mrs. Oakley with dismay. It
threatened her with the loss of two-thirds of her estate. But she was
not a woman to bear it in silence. She possessed a fund of energy, and
lost no time in seeking to determine the important question, "Who had
taken it?"
 
She descended at once to the kitchen, where she found Hannah setting
the table for supper.
 
"Hannah," she said, abruptly, "have you been upstairs to my chamber
this afternoon?"
 
"No, ma'am," said Hannah.
 
"Think a moment," said her mistress, sternly; "have you not been up?"
 
"No, ma'am, I haven't. I told you so once," said Hannah, not altogether
pleased with the doubt implied by the second question.
 
"Has any one called here since I went away?" asked Mrs. Oakley.
 
"No, ma'am."
 
"Then there has been no one in the house excepting yourself?"
 
"No one except Master Ben."
 
"Ben!" repeated Mrs. Oakley, in a changed voice. "When did Ben come
home?"
 
"About an hour ago,--maybe an hour and a half," said Hannah.
 
"He is not here now."
 
"Isn't he, ma'am? I suppose he went out, but I didn't hear him."
 
"You are quite sure no one else has been in the house?" inquired her
mistress.
 
"Certain sure, ma'am."
 
Mrs. Oakley went upstairs slowly. A new idea had forced its way into
her mind. It must be that Ben had taken both the money and the will.
That he should have taken the first didn't surprise her, for with all
her love for her son, she had small confidence in his honesty. No doubt
he had got into debt, and so was tempted to appropriate the bills. But
why should he have taken the will? That was something she could not
understand. For the money she cared little comparatively. But the loss
of the will was ruin, if John or his friends found it, or, if not, she
would live in perpetual fear of their discovering it.
 
"If I once get hold of it again," she said to herself, "I will take
care that all danger from that source shall end and forever. Ben will
never divulge its existence, of course. He will understand that it
affects his interests too nearly."
 
She waited in nervous excitement for Ben's reappearance.
 
At length his step was heard--never more welcome than now.
 
Ben entered, feeling rather nervous also.
 
"Has mother found out?" he thought.
 
"Good-afternoon, mother," he said, with apparent unconcern. "Is supper
most ready? I'm awful hungry."
 
"I want to speak to you a moment, Benjamin," said his mother. "Will you
come upstairs?"
 
"Now for it," thought Ben.
 
"Can't you speak here just as well?" he said. "I'm tired."
 
"I would rather have you come upstairs," said Mrs. Oakley.
 
"Just as you say," said Ben; "but I don't see why you can't talk just
as well down here."
 
Mrs. Oakley led the way to her own chamber. Ben followed, feeling, it
must be confessed, not altogether comfortable. This feeling was not
diminished when his mother closed the door carefully. She turned and
confronted him.
 
"You have been to my bureau-drawer, Ben," she said, eying him fixedly.   

댓글 없음: