2017년 3월 1일 수요일

A Lady of England 26

A Lady of England 26


Will you kindly tell my Letitia that I have put up her
paint-box, to be sent to Somerset House, as I dare say that
your dear husband will kindly take charge of the little parcel....
 
‘The weather here has not been very choice. We had candles at
luncheon yesterday. We make ourselves very happy, however,
by vigorous reading. In the evening we discourse with Queen
Elizabeth, Leicester, Paul Buys, and Olden Barneveldt, etc.;
in the morning we go out hunting with M. Chaillu, plunging
amongst hippopotami and crocodiles, demolishing big black
serpents, or perhaps capturing a baby-gorilla, more troublesome
than dear Edgy himself.
 
‘We are all just now in a state of indignation about your
pork! Don’t suppose that it is any fault in the pork; on the
contrary, it is acknowledged to be the most “refined” pork ever
known; and Mother says that if she shut her eyes, she would
not know that she was not eating chicken!! We had a beautiful
roast of it one day at luncheon; and Mother cut off a choice
bit, to be reserved for our table, cold, while the servants
were indulged with the rest of that joint. To-day Mother asked
for our reserved bit. Would you believe it?--those dreadfully
greedy servants had eaten _our_ bit as well as their own,
though they had legs of mutton on Friday and Saturday, and
a 22 lb. joint of roastbeef on Sunday! Do you marvel at our
indignation? Mother means to call some one to account. She puts
all the pathos of the question upon _me_. Miss Charlotte to be
disappointed of her reserved bit of pork! I can hardly keep
my countenance, but of course must not disclaim my interest
in the question. These greedy servants must be kept in order.
It is not for nothing that we read of valiant encounters with
alligators and hippopotami.’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_Dec. 3, 1862._
 
‘DEAREST LAURA,--We at last opened our piano, and your song has
been thoroughly examined. The result is that some parts are
much liked. Clara was so much pleased with the verse about the
Rose, that after singing it over for Mother’s benefit she sang
it three times over for her own. The words are not worthy of
the music; it ought to be sacred; and I intend to copy it out
in my own little music-book as a hymn, so that its interest
will not die away with that of the bridal.[8] The part next
best liked is the Shamrock verse; and if I might venture a
suggestion, I think that the whole of the “We hail thee” might
be set to it; only the “glittering” accompaniment must be
confined to the Shamrock verse. I think people often like the
repetition of one air over and over, far better than a great
variety.
 
The air is flowing and attractive, and there is no harm in its
brevity. The first part, “We hail thee,” has a transition,
which we fear that the rules of thorough-bass might not permit;
and the Thistle is hardly equal to either the Shamrock or
the Rose,--of which, you see, I would make a _separate_ song
and hymn. If you would write out the song to the music of the
former, I do not see why we should not try to get it accepted
by a publisher. I hope that you will excuse my thus venturing
to criticise your song and so unmercifully to cut it short.
 
‘I will give on the next page the words which I propose
putting--for my own use--to the hymn part. Very little
alteration will make them go very well to the air, for I have
tried them; and the repetition of the last words, which your
sweet music requires, suits lines the whole emphasis of which
falls on the closing words; at least I fancy so.’
 
The lines following are given here, not exactly as they appeared in the
letter, but in the corrected and improved form which afterwards appeared
in print with the music:--
 
‘The Lord He is my strength and stay,
When sorrow’s cup o’erflows the brim;
It sweetens all if we can say,
“This is from Him!”
All comfort, comfort, flows from Him.
 
‘When humbly labouring for my Lord,
Faint grows the heart and weak the limb,
What strength and joy are in the words,
“This is for Him!”
’Tis sweet to spend our strength for Him.
 
‘I hope for ever to abide
Where dwell the radiant Seraphim;
Delivered, pardoned, glorified;
But ’tis through Him!
All light and glory flow from Him.
 
‘Then welcome be the hour of death,
When Nature’s lamp burns low and dim,
If I can cry with dying breath,
“I go to Him!”
For Life Eternal flows from Him.’
 
TO MISS BELLA F. TUCKER.
 
‘_Feb. 11, 1862._
 
‘I have read your touching account of your most sorely
afflicted friend with great interest. I visit the Imbecile
Ward,[9] and I fear that she must be in the Insane Ward; but I
will be sure to make inquiries, and perhaps I may find that I
can follow her thither. I am not timid. Very very glad should I
be to impart any comfort in such a case of awful distress; but
I fear that she may not understand even sympathy.’
 
TO THE SAME.
 
‘_Feb. 26, 1862._
 
‘I went to our afflicted friend.... I talked to her as
comfortingly as I could, and told her that I thought this sad
trial might be sent that she might be like Christiana, walking
on a Heavenward path, with all her children with her. I was
glad to draw forth one or two tears, for tearless anguish is
the most terrible. She said that she prayed the Lord to take
her. I did not think that a good prayer, but suggested that
she should ask the Lord to come to her, as to the disciples
in the storm. She has promised to repeat the two very little
prayers, “Lord, come to me”; and “Lord, make my children Thine,
for Jesus’ sake.” It was touching to hear her repeating softly,
again and again,--“Make me Thine! make me Thine!”’
 
TO THE SAME.
 
‘_March 25, 1862._
 
‘Though still very low to-day, Mrs. ---- did not seem to me
to be inaccessible to religious comfort. I fancied that there
was a little lightening of the darkness.... I do not know of
anything that she wants. I have supplied her with working
materials. Perhaps a little book with pictures in it is as good
as anything, as amusing without fatiguing the mind.... I know the
beautiful large texts that you allude to; but I do not know
where they could well be fixed in the Insane Ward. They are
more, I think, for the bedridden.’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘GRESFORD, _Sept. 13, 1863_.
 
‘I thought of you as I stood on the soft green slope down
to the water, and looked on the bright little stream, with
its white foam sparkling in the sunlight. How much of its
beauty it owes to the pebbles that fret it; and how much of
its rapidity to the fall in its course. But in our lives, how
we--at least I--shrink from the pebbles! How we would fain have
all glassy smooth,--though Nature itself teaches us that then
it would become stagnant. The “sea of glass” is for another
world....
 
‘I sometimes think that consoling is one of the most delightful
employments given to God’s servants. It is pleasanter than
teaching; far far more so than reproving others, or struggling
against evil, or examining our own hearts. You were a comfort
to poor dear ----, and I dare say that the sense of being so
lightened your own trial of parting. I would give a _great
deal_ to have your influence with ----; but the Almighty has
not been pleased to grant me this. Perhaps He will some day.’
 
TO THE SAME.
 
‘_July 29, 1864._
   

댓글 없음: