2017년 3월 1일 수요일

A Lady of England 28

A Lady of England 28


No foreboding whisper in her heart spoke of what that visit to Moultan,
so lightly mentioned, would mean to them all. When the two next letters
were penned, little as Charlotte dreamt of what was coming, the blow had
already fallen, and Letitia had passed away.
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_Jan. 2, 1866._
 
‘May the best blessings of the opening year rest upon my
beloved Laura, and her dear circle.
 
‘I hope that dear Leila received my _Rescued from Egypt_ in
the Christmas box. I put it up for her, and to the best of my
knowledge it went to Bournemouth; but as neither she nor you
have mentioned seeing it, I feel half afraid that in some way
I cannot imagine it has missed its destination, and the dear
girl has fancied that when sending little remembrances to her
brothers I had forgotten her.
 
‘Such a delightful budget of letters I had from Letitia by last
Southampton mail! She writes that she is “very very happy.”’
 
TO THE SAME.
 
‘_Jan. 3, 1866._
 
‘I feel that I have not said half enough to your dear husband
for his splendid book. I was in such a hurry to write and thank
him, that I only gave myself time for a cursory glance.... Dear
Fanny enjoyed looking at the pictures with me; and to-day I
carried up my book to dear Mother, that she might have the
pleasure also. She admires your dear husband’s gift greatly,
and we agree that it is just the book to take to the Cottage.
It seems to be quite a treasure of curious and interesting
knowledge; a volume to keep for reference as well as for
perusal. Do thank dear Mr. Hamilton again for me, and tell him
that I consider _Homes Without Hands_ as a family acquisition.
 
‘We are all much _in statu quo_. Our time is now passing
swiftly and pleasantly. Mother looks so bright and bonny and
young! We were talking together to-day of your and your dear
husband’s kindness to sweet Fanny. I am sure that it has not
been lost.’
 
Then came the mournful news; and a hasty short scrawl conveyed the first
intimation of it from Charlotte Tucker to her niece, ‘Leila’ Hamilton; a
note without any formal beginning:--
 
‘Break to your sweet Mother and Aunt Mina that God has taken my
darling Letitia. His Will be done,--Your sorrowing Aunt,
 
‘C. M. T.
 
‘All was peace,--_smiling_!’
 
The illness had been short,--a severe attack of erysipelas, while Letitia
was in her brother’s house at Moultan. Somewhat early in the illness she
had said,--‘I am sure I shall die; but one ought not to mind, you know.’
While delirious she was heard to say distinctly,--‘Ta,’--her pet name
in the past for her aunt Charlotte; but the message, if there were one,
could not be distinguished.
 
After much wandering, she regained sufficient consciousness to assure
those around that she was suffering no pain; and five or six times
she repeated to her brother,--‘I am very fond of you!’ This was on a
Wednesday. The next day, Thursday, she was too weak for speech; though
in the morning, recognising her brother, she gave him a sweet smile.
Thenceforward the dying girl was entirely peaceful; as said by one of
those present,--‘constantly smiling. Her whole face was lighted up as
with extreme pleasure.’ All day this continued, as she slowly sank; the
face remaining perfectly calm and untroubled; till at length, when she
passed away, soon after eleven o’clock at night, ‘she ceased to breathe
so gently that she seemed to have fallen into a deep sleep.’ But the
placid smile was still there, unchanged, till the sweet young face was
hidden away.
 
Charlotte Tucker, writing to her sister, Mrs. Hamilton, about these sad
particulars, which yet were not all sad, observed:--
 
‘I am sure your heart has been aching, and your eyes have been
weeping. Such a sudden--such an unexpected stroke! But God is
Wisdom and Love....
 
‘Darling--my own darling Letitia! Oh, when she looked so happy,
did she not see the angels--or her beloved Father--or the
Bedwells and old Rodman whom she had so tended,--perhaps all
coming to welcome her,--or the loving Saviour Himself? I do
not grudge her to Him; but oh, what a wealth of love I have
(apparently) lost in that one young heart! Her _last_ parcel of
letters to me contained sweet commissions for her poor.... I dare
say that I shall hear from you to-morrow; but it is a relief
to me to write now to you, who were so kind and dear to her. I
went out before breakfast this morning. A thrush was singing
so sweetly. I saw the first crocus of the year. My flower,--my
lovely one,--she may now be singing in joy, while we sit in
sorrow.’
 
This letter was dated January 21; and three days later another went to
Mrs. Hamilton, not from Charlotte, but from Fanny:--
 
‘MY OWN DEAREST LAURA,--Your dear letters have been very
soothing to our Charlotte, and have helped to remind her of
the mercies mingled with the bereavement. The sure sweet hope
that her darling is safe, and for ever happy, has been her
strong consolation; and God is mercifully supporting her, I am
thankful to say. Last Sunday she went both to Church and to the
Workhouse.
 
‘I am thankful to be near her, to minister to her,--but wish I
were a better comforter, such as _you_ would have been, dear.
 
‘The sad tidings were most gently broken to our dear Mother by
Clara. She was therefore mercifully spared the shock of the
sudden intelligence.
 
‘With kindest remembrances to dear Mr. Hamilton, and love to
your dear self and your dear ones, believe me, dearest Laura,
your very affectionate
 
‘F. TUCKER.’
 
C. M. T. TO A COUSIN.
 
‘_Jan. 24, 1866._
 
‘Many thanks for your kind sympathy. My sweet consolation
indeed is that my own darling girl sleeps in Jesus. When such a
bright look of “extreme pleasure” lighted up the dear face of
one called away in the bloom of her youth and beauty, was she
not realising her own sweet lines,--
 
“I heard a Voice, ‘a still small Voice,’
Soft whisper, ‘It is well,’
And knew the Saviour of my choice,
Jesus, Immanuel”?’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_Feb. 6, 1866._
 
‘Did I ever tell you that my darling wrote to me when she was
at the Hills, saying that she did not wish me to be altogether
disappointed in regard to her, and asking me whom I would wish
her to try to resemble. I mentioned you,--for I thought that as
her disposition was lively, it would be more easy for her to
try to be like you than dear Fanny; besides she had seen you
as a wife and mother, and I did not know whether the Almighty
might not destine her to be such. He had something “far better”
for my loved one.
 
‘It will interest you to know that G---- (P----‘s _protégée_),
after winning honours at Cambridge, wishes to be baptized as
a Christian. Amy H---- and her husband are to be two of his
witnesses, and he is anxious that dear Henry[11] should be the
third; for it was Henry’s consistent character which first
showed him what Christianity really is.’
 
TO MISS ‘LEILA’ HAMILTON.
 
‘_Feb. 13, 1866._
 
‘I thank you lovingly, dearest Leila, for your letter. I prize
your affection,--you write to me almost as my own darling used
to write. If my health had broken down, so that I could not
have been a comfort to dear Grandmamma and Aunt Fanny here,
I should thankfully have accepted the invitation which you
so affectionately press; but as I keep pretty well, I do not
think that it would be well for me to leave my post at home.
Dear Grandmamma seems to cling to me so,--she is so loving! I
am thankful that she keeps so well. Dear Aunt Fanny was not so
well for two days, but is better again....
 
‘My darling once wrote and asked me whose character I would

댓글 없음: