2017년 3월 1일 수요일

A Lady of England 31

A Lady of England 31


‘It was not with dry eyes, my beloved Laura, that I could
read what was written in those volumes, to which a tenfold
value is given by their being last Remembrances from your
lately suffering, now blessed boy. Oh, with what a heavy heavy
heart must you have put up those parcels, and written those
inscriptions! It will perhaps be a long time before you can
realise with calm thankfulness that it is indeed so “well with
the child” that you can rejoice in his safety, his happiness....
I am now much more disposed to praise for my angel-girl than to
weep for her.... I can see so clearly the Love and Wisdom that
took her Home. Presently, my precious sorrowing sister, you may
feel the same about your boy. Your intense love will remain,
for love is immortal; your sorrow will die, for sorrow with
Christ’s people is _not_ immortal, thank God.--Your tenderly
loving
 
‘C. M. TUCKER.’
 
TO THE SAME.
 
‘I have enjoyed your dear letter, and it makes me feel
thankful. I have often thought that freed spirits probably lead
a life of delightful activity; none of the “burdens of the
flesh” to fetter them down. The idea of spirits preaching to
spirits is, however, rather new to me. But there seems nothing
against it, and probability rather in its favour. That verse in
St. Peter, to which you refer, certainly strengthens the idea;
for the disciples are permitted in so many ways to follow their
Master.
 
‘It is thus possible that, while you are weeping for your
darling, if your eyes were opened, you might see him the
bright, joyful centre of a little group of spirits of Indian
children,[15] repeating to them the lessons which he first
learned from you, but which he would now know better--oh, how
much better!--than you could ever teach him. I am sure that you
would not wish to take him back again to pain and weakness from
such an occupation.’
 
TO THE SAME.
 
‘_April 14, 1868._
 
‘MY OWN SWEET LAURA,--I feel that this month must be full of
heavy recollections to you; and oh, it is hard to have a bright
face to hide a bleeding heart. I hope that you will not put
any restraint upon yourself with me.... Easter has its peculiar
message of hope and joy to the mourner. Nature, bursting into
new life and beauty, repeats the message, gives it to us as it
were in an illumination of green leaves and bright blossoms.
The Church says, “Christ is risen indeed!”--and all around
us joyfully adds, “And _we_ shall rise again!” Your parting
with your boy is over; now only the meeting is before you. The
shadows fall behind; the glowing sunshine is in front.’
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XII
 
A.D. 1868-1872
 
THE OLD HOME BROKEN UP
 
 
One letter at about this time gives particulars of how Charlotte tried
to influence, not without results, a poor Roman Catholic woman, whom
she came across in the Infirmary. Another makes allusion to the Ragged
Schools and their work, in which she was always greatly interested. Yet
another contains the answer to an inquiry from a niece about a book
which should be bought, probably for a gift. The suggested choice ranges
between Sir Walter Scott, Felicia Hemans, Jean Ingelow, the Author of
_The Schonberg-Cotta Family_, and Miss Sewell,--a rather curious mixture.
 
TO MISS ‘LEILA’ HAMILTON.
 
‘_July 7, 1868._
 
‘I met a mole the other day in a field. It did not attempt to
get away, but let me stroke it; and had I chosen I could easily
have taken it up in my hand. This seems quite a country for
moles. I have seen them repeatedly. I take a greater interest
in them, from that book, _Homes Without Hands_, which your
father kindly gave me.’
 
TO THE SAME.
 
‘_Aug. 11, 1868._
 
‘We have strange pets here. There are numbers of wasps; I never
saw so many at any one time, I think. They sting our poor maids
in the kitchen, but behave in such a gentlemanly way in the
drawing-room, that, instead of a plague, they seem a pleasure
to dear Grandmamma. She watches them, feeds them, admires
their beauty, and calls them her babies. One got within Aunt
C----‘s jacket, which naturally rather alarmed her. She drew
the jacket off, and I found the wasp in the sleeve. It had been
between it and C----‘s bare skin, and yet had never stung her.
 
‘I dare say that you are rather impatient to be settled in
Firlands.’
 
TO THE SAME.
 
‘_Sept. 21, 1868._
 
‘On Saturday ---- and I read my _Castle of Carlsmont_ aloud
to dear Grandmamma. I have been amused at ----‘s little
criticisms, and shall like to know how far yours agree with
hers, if you read my Tragedy. ---- says that “Clara is rather
stupid”; that she likes Agnes best. “I have rather a sneaking
likeness for Agnes,” says she. She says that the ending
disappoints her; she would cut off the last page and the four
preceding lines, which would completely alter the whole ending.
The ending stood originally just as she would have it; but
years afterwards I added the page and four lines, which _I_
think an improvement.
 
‘Tell me frankly what you think, and whether you approve of
the style of binding. You remember when I talked to you about
the Tragedy, as we sat together in the garden. The two things
that occurred to you were,--how could I get the work, when
printed, _sold_; and that people would not like it in pamphlet
shape. Messrs. Nelson have obviated the first difficulty; and
by having covers put on by the Jewish Society, I have obviated
the second. I am sure my wee book will have your good wishes,
dear, that it may bring in a little sum to dear Auntie Fanny’s
Mission purse.
 
‘You will wonder what has become of that work of mine, of which
I read part to you last year. I can only warn you, my dear
Leila, when you write a story, don’t call it _On the Way_,--for
it seems to be always on the way, and never to arrive.
 
‘What a long note I have written! Pay me back by a review of my
Tragedy, and be as blunt as ever you like; for if you tell me
that my poor lady is “very stupid,” instead of “rather stupid,”
you will only make me smile.’
 
TO THE SAME.
 
‘_Feb. 4, 1869._
 
‘It is only fair that I should send you a long account of the
wedding.[16] I thought that I should be the first of the party
in church, for I went early; but I was mistaken. Gradually
a large family party gathered.... There was a good deal of
how-d’ye-doing and kissing and that kind of thing, before the
word was heard, “The bride is coming.”
 
‘Dear Bella looked nice and sweet, leaning on the arm of her
father. A large Honiton lace veil fell over her pure white silk
dress; her lovely hair plaited, instead of made into an ugly
chignon, appeared graceful under the white wreath, from which
a spray drooped down her neck. I did not think the bridesmaids
looking picturesque; there was too square a look about the
purple trimming of their white alpacas. The bridegroom
and bride stood side by side. I could see Bella’s profile
distinctly, and could hear every sentence, both when James and
when she repeated their vows.... There was no crying that I could
see.... You know that there were eight little children present,
four little boys and four little girls. Some of them were given
flowers from an ornamental basket, to strew in the path of the
bride, as her husband led her down the aisle.’
 
TO MISS ‘LEILA’ HAMILTON.
 
‘_June 12, 1869._
 
‘Sweet Grandmamma continues much the same,--serene,--without
pain, not exactly ill, but so delicate that she is still

댓글 없음: