2017년 3월 1일 수요일

A Lady of England 32

A Lady of England 32


‘I am ashamed of such an untidy scrawl as this. I do not know
how that blot on the first page made its appearance. Of course
the _writer_ was not to blame!... I could chat much longer with
you, dear one, but I have other notes to write; and my pen, or
ink, or paper, or something or other, will go wrong to-night,
so as to make the act of writing irksome, as well as the note
untidy.’
 
Another heavy blow, not less heavy because sooner or later inevitable,
was now drawing very near. Mrs. Tucker, who had reached the age of
eighty, had of late failed steadily; and Charlotte must have seen that
this dear Mother was soon to pass away from their midst. Before the
close of July the call came; and already every word that she spoke was
treasured up by her daughter, as may be seen in the following letter:--
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_July 12, 1869._
 
‘So many thanks to my beloved Laura for her valuable and
gratifying gift, which reaches me to-day. Dear Mother has heard
your sweet music twice over already, and both she and Clara
admire it. So do I. I wish that your song were published,
that more might benefit from it. I am pleased that you occupy
yourself in composing, love. I dare say Mother will often ask
for her Laura’s song. “Is not she a darling?” exclaimed Mother
to-day.
 
‘I not unfrequently sing, “Hark, my soul,” to sweet Mamma.
It is better to go over and over the same than to give much
variety, though I sometimes sing “Rock of Ages” also. I heard
Mother saying to herself one day, “Jesus speaks, and speaks
to me”; and she once observed of that hymn, “That takes one to
heaven.”
 
‘Dear Mother is much the same; not ill; with no fever, no pain;
just very delicate and weak. She was so particularly sweet
yesterday, Sunday. She looked lovely sitting by the large open
window, with a light gauze veil to keep off the flies. Mother
said that it had been “a holy day”--“a solemn day,”--and twice
asked me to read the Bible to her.... Once after waking she
observed that she felt “between Heaven and earth.” Mother has
repeatedly alluded to her dream of being in Heaven with Mrs.
Thornhill; and often talks of her father,--“such a holy man!”
 
‘She said yesterday, “I have been dreaming.” I observed, “I
hope they were pleasant dreams.” “Mostly prayerful,” was her
reply.... She is very serene and peaceful, which is such a mercy.’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_July 24, 1869._
 
‘BELOVED LAURA,--So tenderly and so gently the Lord has dealt
with our sweetest Mother! She woke this morning, and told
Cousins that she herself had slept too long. There was a slight
feeling of sickness about eight, which made Cousins call poor
Clara. In about an hour she gently fell asleep.... No pain
nor even consciousness at the last. I had gone to London on
business, as you know. I was telegraphed to; but ere I arrived
she--the sweet, the beloved--was where she had wished to be. O
Laura, Laura, she has long been drinking the _dregs_ of life,
however sweetened by affection. I felt for her. But I seem
as if I could hardly write connectedly. All the three dear
brothers have been here. St. George still is here. Poor dear
Fanny also,--she is to have my room, for she is so thankful to
be here. We have, however, only been allowed one very brief
glimpse and kiss of the revered remains. _Only_ remains, my
Laura. Think of her bliss! _She_ is not here.... Your fond
 
‘C. M. T.’
 
In Charlotte’s desk, kept as one of her greatest treasures, and found
there, years later, after her own death, was the last note ever written
to her by Mrs. Tucker. It contained these words--‘_My precious Charlotte,
you have been such a comfort to me!_’ No wonder the loving utterance was
treasured up by the daughter through the rest of her life.
 
During forty-eight years Charlotte Tucker had known but one home--No.
3 Upper Portland Place. Now at length in her forty-ninth year the
inevitable family break-up had come; and the dear home of her infancy,
of her girlhood, of her middle age, could be hers no longer. No. 3 had
to be given up; and the sisters had to go forth into fresh scenes. The
trial must to all of them have been great; perhaps least so to the gentle
Fanny, already on the border-land of the Life beyond.
 
As a first move, Charlotte and Fanny went together for about two months
to Sutton. An idea had, however, arisen of a home, at least for a time,
with their brother, Mr. St. George Tucker, and his wife; and the next
step was to join them at Wickhill, Bracknell, in the month of September
1869. This was Fanny’s last move. She was taken thither, from Sutton,
most carefully by Charlotte, in a post-chaise; and the long drive does
not appear to have materially affected her. Although by this time wasted
to skin and bone, Fanny still kept about in the house; spending much time
in her own sitting-room, yet often coming down among the rest for a short
time; and during this autumn Charlotte seems to have chiefly devoted
herself to Fanny. Before the close of November, however, the end of the
long illness was reached.
 
One day, when speaking to her brother, in allusion to her earlier good
health and plumpness, Fanny observed: ‘My dear St. George, I have been
imprudent.’ She did not specify what manner of imprudence hers had been.
Probably, like many another in a thoroughly healthy family, she had not
soon enough read the true meaning of suspicious symptoms. During some
four years past she had been steadily failing; and the end could but have
been a joyous release to one so ready to go.
 
Thus blow upon blow had fallen between the years of thirty and fifty upon
the golden staff of Charlotte Tucker’s Will. Her Father’s death; the
death of Robert; the death of Letitia; the death of her Mother; the death
of Fanny; all these one after another make a list of sorrows. Doubtless,
_the_ most keen and bitter losses which she had to endure were, above
all, the death of her almost idolised Father, and the death of Letitia.
No other pain would equal these, dearly as she loved her brother Robert,
her Mother, and Fanny, until her own peculiar sister-friend, Laura
Hamilton, should be summoned away. Mercifully, that blow was not allowed
to fall until a very short time before her own call Home.
 
Charlotte was not crushed by these sorrows. This is plainly to be seen.
Although the wild spirits and abounding glee of her childhood were toned
down, she was still active, still buoyant, still able to enjoy life.
She sorrowed, but by no means as one without hope; and if her life was
shadowed, it had not lost its spring. As time went by, the spirit of fun
and mirthfulness revived; and the little ones in her new home could not
fail to be a fresh delight to one who so greatly loved children. Even the
earlier letters after her Mother’s death are not only calm but cheerful.
 
TO MISS ‘LEILA’ HAMILTON.
 
‘_Aug. 23, 1869._
 
‘I cannot help hoping very sincerely that Uncle St. G. may find
a house near Bracknell, large enough to hold Aunt Fanny and
myself, as well as his own party. Would it not be nice? But I
am rather guarded about setting my heart on anything of the
sort. Aunt Fanny would like it very much.... It would be like a
haven to me. I think I know one young maiden who would not be
sorry to have her old godmother within reach of a walk. But I
am quietly waiting to see how things are arranged for me.... I
have to manage things for Aunt Fanny, as well as for myself,
just as if I were her husband. It is very new work to me. I am
not, like your dear Mother, accustomed to think and arrange
about a mass of property.’
 
TO THE SAME.
 
‘_Dec. 2, 1869._
 
‘I hope that my sweet Leila has not thought me unmindful of
her loving sympathy because I have not thanked her before
for her note. I am sure that you have heard of us from your
beloved Mother, who so tenderly shared my watch by the bedside
of my heart’s sister. O Leila dear, does not such a peaceful,
holy departure show us that our Lord has indeed taken the
sting from death? Without Him, how terrible would be the dark
Unknown!--with Him, how bright is the valley!
 
‘Sweet Aunt Fanny quoted to me not long ago, I suppose in
reference to departure,--“When Thou wilt; where Thou wilt; how
Thou wilt!” I think that the last chapter which I read to her
was Romans viii. It is such a long chapter, that I stopped at
about the 25th verse, fearing to tire the dear invalid; but she
made me finish the chapter.
 
‘I went out of the drawing-room window before sunrise to-day,
to gather flowers to make into wreaths. The gardener had not
opened the greenhouse; but I found much more than I should
have expected in the beginning of December,--even rosebuds.
The ferns look lovely still. A few days ago I made a wreath of
myrtle. I thought it like an emblem of my own sweet sister;
sweetest when bruised; with an unfading leaf; and a white,
simple-looking, yet lovely blossom.

댓글 없음: