2017년 3월 1일 수요일

A Lady of England 41

A Lady of England 41


‘_Later._ Oh, such a pretty wedding! The little church fresh
white-washed within, clean as a wedding-cake. The porch almost
like a bower. A border of flowers on either side up the centre
made a kind of path. Then the presence of the school-girls
in their white chaddahs; the number of Natives in their
picturesque costumes,--both Christians and heathen, inside the
church and looking in from the outside,--all made a charming
scene.
 
‘But before we went to church, a Begum, a royal lady,
granddaughter of Shah-Soojah, came to see the fun. And only
fancy, Laura, I was left for perhaps a quarter of an hour to
entertain the fine old lady. Would not your Fred and Leila have
laughed to have seen me, making gallant efforts to keep up
conversation with my dreadfully bad Hindustani. I dashed at it,
tried to explain why I wore a black dress when I had lilac and
blue ones at Amritsar, told her that I had never been married,
answered questions regarding my family, etc. The Begum laughed,
and I laughed, for I knew that my Hindustani was very bad; but
I did remember always to use the respectful “Ap”[26] to the
princess.
 
‘Presently the dear old Missionary, Mr. Rudolph, appeared. The
“pardah”[27] lady, on seeing a man, hid behind an arm-chair.
But when I told her that it was “Rudolph Sahib,” the old lady
said that he was her father, and that she would make her salaam
to him. I hear that the Begum is almost a Christian, and she
can read. Wrapped in her chaddah, she walked with me to church,
and stayed through the service. I was close behind her. When it
was over, I managed to say a little sentence to her in rather
better Hindustani, “The Lord Jesus Christ is here; He gives
blessing.” The Begum gave a sound of assent.’
 
Next day, the first of December, Charlotte Tucker reached Amritsar,--the
spot which she fully expected to be her home for many a year to come.
But Amritsar was only a stage on the road to Batala, where her Indian
work really lay.
 
All who know aught of India know the name of ‘The Panjab’;[28] that
province to the far north, a land of five great rivers, where in Mutiny
days so much was done for the preservation of our Indian Empire.
Amritsar[29] is one of the larger cities of the Panjab, containing a
population of about 135,000 inhabitants,--Hindus, Muhammadans, and Sikhs.
It is the Holy City of the Sikhs, and has their ‘golden temple,’ wherein
they worship, and wherein also is kept their sacred book, the ‘Granth.’
 
Missionary work has been mainly carried on in the Panjab by the Church
Missionary Society; just as, in many parts of Bengal, Missionary work
has been mainly carried on by the Society for the Propagation of the
Gospel. Where the one great Church Society has obtained a footing, the
other great Church Society does not interfere in either case, but goes
elsewhere in the Mission field. It is greatly to be wished that this
spirit of courtesy were more widely seen in the working of Missions
generally among the heathen. During late years the ladies of the Church
Zenana Society have come in as an additional help to the Societies
above-named,--as true ‘handmaids,’ alike in the Panjab and in other parts
of India.
 
The Mission premises are about half-a-mile distant from the City of
Amritsar. A. L. O. E.’s first Indian home was here; in a bungalow,
surrounded by a large compound or garden which was part of the Mission
premises. When she arrived, in the beginning of December, roses were in
full bloom, as well as abundantly-flowering shrubs and creepers. The
great banyan-tree, which grew and still grows in front of the bungalow,
was soon named by Miss Tucker ‘The Mission Tree.’
 
A warm welcome was given to her by the Missionary ladies living
there:--Miss Emily Wauton, who still labours on in the same spot, though
nearly twenty years have passed since that day; Mrs. Elmslie, widow of
Dr. Elmslie, the Pioneer of Missionary work in Cashmere; Miss Florence
Swainson; and Miss Ada Smith;--not to speak of the C.M.S. Missionary
gentleman living close by.
 
After her wont, Miss Tucker was very eager, very bright, very anxious to
become immediately one of the little circle. That first evening, as they
sat round the table, she said: ‘I don’t want to be “Miss Tucker” here.
Can’t you all call me “Charlotte Maria”?’ The ladies naturally demurred.
‘We could not possibly,’ they said. Miss Tucker’s face fell a little;
then came a happy thought, and she brightened up. ‘Call me “Auntie,”’ she
said. ‘So many call me “Auntie.” All of you must do so.’
 
‘But we cannot directly. We don’t know you yet,’ objected the others
again.
 
She was very much delighted when Mr. Rowland Bateman, one of the
Missionaries, began the same evening, without hesitation, to speak to her
as ‘Auntie.’
 
Soon after, news came of the death of her brother, Mr. Henry Carre
Tucker. It was needful to arrange for her mourning; and pending the
arrival of other things, one of the younger ladies offered to alter
for her an old black silk dress which she had. Going to her room, the
young lady knocked and said, ‘Miss Tucker, may I have the dress now?’
No answer. Another attempt;--and ‘No Miss Tucker here!’ was the result.
‘Unless you call me “Auntie,” you will not have it.’ ‘But how can I so
soon? I don’t know you yet,’ was once more the unavailing plea. Miss
Tucker had her way, however; and thenceforward she became ‘Auntie’ to an
ever-increasing circle of nephews and nieces in India.
 
Some extracts from her own letters, written to Mrs. Hamilton in the
December of 1875, will give, far better than words of mine can do, the
impressions received in her new position.
 
‘_December 2, 1875._
 
‘It is early morning, before 6 A.M., my first morning in my
new home. A cock has been crowing, otherwise everything is
profoundly still. I hear a cart in the distance. You will like
to hear something of my surroundings.
 
‘Mrs. Elmslie came to meet me at the station; also Mr. Clark
and Mr. Baring. It was slightly bewildering, for, says Mr.
Clark, “the Bishop wants to see you; he and Miss Milman are to
go off by this train.” Now the thought most in my mind was, “I
won’t let poor dear Miss F.[30] think that I desert her for
new acquaintances.” She also was going on by the train; but
there was a pause at Amritsar station for perhaps a quarter of
an hour. So I had to be agreeable to the Bishop, Miss F., and
all,--and keep Mrs. Elmslie waiting besides.
 
‘This is a splendid room of mine ... about twenty-four feet
each way, and so lofty. I am surprised at the elegance of
these Indian bungalows. Please put from your mind all idea of
_hardship_.[31] I have now lived in four bungalows, and all
have elegant rooms, and there is such an air of refinement that
I have great doubts whether it would be the correct thing to
put out my hand and take a slice of bread off a plate. Mrs.
Elmslie is a lovely lady, tall, slight, fair; but however tall,
a lady every inch of her; she might be a Countess with her meek
dignity....’
 
‘_December 9._
 
‘I directed _via Brindisi_ my sad letters to the almost
broken-hearted mourners, and I thought, “I will write no more
by this mail. I should only write on one theme, my precious,
noble Henry.” But I have since thought that I was wrong in
this determination. My own sweet Laura will be closing a heavy
year.... If I can turn the channel of sad thoughts, it is better
that I should write, and not only on one theme. She will like
to hear of my home and my work, and I ought to write to the
darling!...
 
‘What shall I say of Mrs. Elmslie? She is one of a million. I
never met with any woman in my life so like an angel without
wings. Tall, fair, elegant, graceful, with a face that Ary
Scheffer might have chosen to paint for a seraph,--her soul
seems to correspond to her external appearance. Saintly as she
is, she is not in the _least_ gloomy; she tries to make all
happy, and is business-like and practical. Fitted to grace a
drawing-room, she throws her heart into school-work, and seems
to manage the house beautifully. It will give you an idea how
winning she is, when I tell you that Miss Wauton and Miss
Hasell call Mrs. Elmslie “Mother,” “Mother dear,” though the
name seems strange from one who looks quite as old as herself.
You should see Mrs. Elmslie with a black baby in her arms,
looking at it with such loving tenderness and pleasure too,
just as its guardian angel might....
 
‘I must not fill up all my letter with my sweet friend, and it
is nearly time that I should take my morning walk. I always
take a rapid one in the compound, which is large, with a good
many trees and nice flowering shrubs in it. I hope always to
keep up the habit, which is so very conducive to health; but of
course I shall not walk so _fast_ when the hot weather comes.
 
‘It may give you a little idea of life here, if I describe
yesterday’s occupations.
 
‘I rose about six, dressed, and wrote a little. My Ayah brought
me early breakfast. I went out and took my walk, then returned

댓글 없음: