2017년 3월 1일 수요일

A Lady of England 42

A Lady of England 42


‘I find it a good plan to go to Mrs. Elmslie’s Orphanage, and
sit and listen to the lessons, and thus learn myself. The girls
in their white chaddars[33] look, generally speaking, well
and happy. I was to have amused some of the younger ones last
Sunday with Bible pictures; but when I had had the sad letters
I gave up my intention of helping sweet Mrs. Elmslie in this
way. I hope to do so another time.’
 
‘_December 13._
 
‘I have so much to interest me here, and every one is so
kind.... I call this bungalow “House Beautiful,” on account of
the dwellers within it. It is also a nice refined place, with
an extensive compound, and plenty of trees and flowers. If I
were not so busy I should like to send you a sketch of it; but
daylight seems too short for what I want to do; and when once
my mouth is really opened, I shall feel as if I never could get
through all the interesting work that is to be done. The ladies
here have a kind of general superintendence of twenty-two
schools--_not_ Christian--but where they are allowed to teach
the Bible. Fancy what an opening!’
 
TO MISS ‘LEILA’ HAMILTON.
 
‘_Dec. 13._
 
‘There are some things in Indian life which would strike you as
curious. For instance, I have _five_ glass doors to my bedroom.
One alone is never opened ... but through all the others people,
especially my Ayah, come in; and she never knocks.... Folk can
walk in from the outside of the house through two of my glass
doors. It is a very public sort of living, but it is Indian
fashion. The great thing is to let in abundance of air; and
where air comes in other things come in too. I have, however,
“chick” blinds to my outer doors; these are made of thin split
bamboos; and if I let them down, no one can see in. Of course
they would not keep out my dear little Ayah; she can always pop
in by lifting the chicks. She is the only one who really laughs
at my bad Urdu.... My Munshi laughs a little, but not in the same
way. He is gentle and pleasing.’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_Dec. 21._
 
‘I have been waiting to write to you till the tardy mail
should come in. But why wait any longer, when I have always so
much to say to my Laura now?--only I lack time--and light--for
this is the shortest day, and the houses are built to keep out
light, which comes in underneath a heavy verandah, so that I am
sometimes obliged to feel rather than to see....
 
‘I did not open my picture-box for some time after my arrival,
but when it was opened it would have pleased you to have seen
the pleasure given by its contents, including your lovely
tidies. Mrs. Elmslie was eager as a girl, settling where the
different pictures were to be hung, jumping up on chairs, and
keeping us up beyond our usual hour for retiring, for she
could not bear to leave the picture-question unsettled. We had
consultation, trying this place and that place on the walls,
trying to balance sides and keep all things straight. For the
angel-lady likes to have everything pretty.... It seems to me as
if both England and America had sent their cream to India. But
then Amritsar is a specially favoured place.... As is natural
where the Missionaries are first-rate, there is a great deal of
leaven working amongst the heathen.’
 
TO MISS ‘LEILA’ HAMILTON.
 
‘_Dec. 23._
 
‘Though I posted a letter to your sweet Mother only yesterday,
perhaps I had better tell you of my visit to the Zenana of ----
whilst it is fresh in my mind. Dear C., Miss H., and myself
went to-day to visit this Muhammadan house. It is a handsome
one, in the midst of fine park-like grounds; and from the lofty
verandah we had a better view of part of our city than I have
seen before.
 
‘The Muhammadan Sahib has three wives. I suppose that they were
the three middle-aged or elderly native women who sat on a
bed; the other five women present, old or young, may have been
servants; but one of them, a handsome girl, with very dashing
nose-ring, and eyelids blackened on the edges, native-fashion,
shook hands with us as well as served us. There were a fair
number of free-and-easy little dark children playing about. The
eldest is C.’s pupil; and one of the first things done was to
hear her repeat her part in a kind of catechism--Christian, of
course.
 
‘One of the ladies smoked a hookah; had it been even invisible,
we should have been made sensible of its presence by an
occasional bubble-bubble sound, and then a perfume--to our
minds by no means odoriferous. Another lady had her teeth
horridly blackened by what she had been chewing; but, generally
speaking, the natives’ teeth are very nice and white.... I
showed off my beautiful chatelaine, your dear Father’s gift,
which I think pleased; and Miss H. showed hers, which is quite
different in style. You must not suppose that this was a mere
visit of amusement.... No, we had Bible-reading and hymn-singing;
and afterwards C. was evidently holding a religious discussion
with the elder lady.
 
‘_Dec. 24._--I find that only two of the ladies were wives of
the Sahib; the third was somebody’s relation.
 
‘Mr. Clark[34] approves of my Oriental tale, only he wishes
some names altered. He is going to give me a list of names,
Muhammadan and Hindu.’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_Christmas Day 1875._
 
‘I was awakened in the night by the Indian Waits, children
singing in the language of the Sikhs ... one of their native
airs. My little Ayah came up to me and shook hands when she
entered my room early in the morning,--is not this the great
Day, and is not she a Christian?--so she may indeed rejoice
and be glad in it. I have prepared little presents for the
dear ladies here, except C., to whom I gave a wedding-present
yesterday. I will pause now, and go on later in the day, when
I may better describe our Indian Christmas. 6½ A.M. Orphans
singing hymns at the top of their voices. They are evidently
very happy. They are to have a Christmas tree.
 
‘_Later._--I have come home from church, from receiving the
Holy Communion. Thank God, the sheaves _are_ being gathered
in! What would dear Henry Martyn not have given to have seen
what I saw to-day? So many Natives remained to share the holy
Feast, men and women, young and old,--in our little church
there must have been nearly if not quite fifty communicants. I
received the Cup from the hand of a Native. I felt the scene
quite affecting. It is a great privilege to be in India, and
specially now, when the blades are ripening,--though, oh, how
few in number, compared with the Muhammadans and heathen!
 
‘After church and luncheon I went to the Orphanage Garden, to
help sweet Margaret[35] to deck the Christmas Tree. In less
than half an hour the little guests are to be summoned to
receive their dolls, tops, books, etc. I expect a charming
scene.’
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER II
 
A.D. 1875-1876
 
A HOME IN AMRITSAR
 
 
In the previous spring, when first Charlotte Tucker decided to go
out, she wrote in one letter a statement of the financial plan to be
followed. ‘I have arranged with the Society,’ she said, ‘to pay 200
rupees a quarter for my board and lodging, exclusive of Munshi[36]
and conveyance.’ For this she had been told to expect a bedroom and a
bathroom; meals being taken with the other Missionaries. She had also
been told that she would require an Ayah and ‘half a tailor.’ ‘I do not
want superfluities,’ she wrote; ‘for mine is a modest income, and I
should not like to spend it all on myself.’
 
Modest though it might be, she gave away largely, restricting herself
to a limited amount, and practising great economy. After being for a
while in India, she seems to have been strongly impressed with a dread
of needless luxuries, and to have become eager to set an example of
extreme simplicity in the Missionary life. The rigid simplicity which she
cultivated was, no doubt, partly a matter of pure economy, that she might

댓글 없음: