2017년 3월 1일 수요일

A Lady of England 60

A Lady of England 60


FROM AN INDIAN CHRISTIAN, CONVERT FROM MUHAMMADANISM, 1878
 
‘MY DEAR MISS TUCKER,--I received your kind letter, dated 13th
instant, and the newspaper yesterday. I am very thankful to
you. I read it many times, and it truly made me brave. I like
the piece of poetry you quoted very much. Every day I pray to
God to lead me in the right way. I think my prayer is heard,
for I do not feel so lonely as I did at first; but I get
fever nearly every day. I had gone over to Lahore on Friday,
and stayed there for Saturday and Sunday.... I remember you in
my prayers, and I hope you do the same. Now I will not feel
lonely. Please do not be anxious....’
 
C. M. T. TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_Nov. 8._--If I were not a Mission Miss Sahiba, who should
never complain, I might give a groan or a grumble to the mice
and rats. They get into my almira, and what is even worse,
into my harmonium. I had a tin plate made for the pedal part,
expressly to keep creatures out; but they managed to pass it.
I have now had a second large one made, and hope that it may
prove more effectual. The creatures have bitten almost all
the red Persian away; to-day I found lumps of wadding in my
harmonium. “How could they have come there?” I asked of my
sharp kahar, V. I suspected the rats, but did not know where
they could have got the wadding from,--when V. suggested the
beautiful padded cover of my harmonium. Sure enough, the rogues
had bitten holes in that, and pulled out wadding to stuff
into my harmonium, doubtless to make a comfortable nest for a
family of young mice or rats. I tried a Batala trap; it was of
no use: I have bought an Amritsar one, and Mera Bhatija has
bought another; but the rats, I fear, will not be much thinned
in numbers. We try to get a weasel, but have not succeeded yet.
But things might have been much worse. The rats never try to
eat _us_!’
 
‘_Nov. 14._--I do not think that I told you of two Christian
fakirs, to whom I was introduced at Amritsar. They were very
badly clothed, fakir-like, but--especially one of them--had
pleasing, sensible faces. I suppose that they wander about, and
lead a kind of John the Baptist life. How curious such a style
of Christian would appear in old England!’
 
‘_Nov. 20._--I have been wanting--wanting--my English letters,
expecting them these four days. At last here they are, and such
nice dear ones....
 
‘I shall much like to hear what you think of my sweet Margaret.
I doubt whether she will be in good looks, she has been so
sorely tried by her dear Mother’s illness, and the struggle in
her own mind,--longing to come to our help, yet unable to do
so! I feel for her.
 
‘I think that dear Emily benefited little or not at all by her
trip to the Hills. She _ought_ to go home in the spring,--after
more than six years’ work,--so ought Miss Fuller; but neither
can leave till they fairly break down; for there is no one to
take their place....
 
‘You think, love, that by September 4th “the most dangerous
season was over.” Far from it! September is, I think, the most
dangerous month in all the year in the Panjab. Very hot, and
full of fever. My hardest pull up-hill since I came to India
was, I think, in September. You have had the heat then for so
long, you have less vigour, and the air is so unwholesome.
Sickness all around.
 
‘How good you are to send me another dress! My graceful Grey
still looks very well. I consider it rather a company dress,
and have my Green for the Zenanas, which are sometimes _so_
dirty! I am wearing it now, for the weather is becoming very
cold. It is rather amusing to see our Panjabis come in for
Morning Prayers, about sunrise on a sharp morning. There is P.
with a red comforter round _head_ and neck; J. is wrapped in
his white blanket. Poor Babu Singha, with a cold of course,
is wondering how the big room below is ever to be kept warm.
Mera Bhatija and I are going to change our drawing-room. The
northern room is far the best in summer; but in winter we
escape to the southern, and what was our guest-room becomes our
sitting-room. There is actually a fireplace in it!--and the
sunbeams stream in....
 
‘Instead of spending the long winter evenings in solitary
grandeur upstairs, I now come down and make one of the
cheerful party in the schoolroom. It is much less distracting
to be amongst a score of boys than you would suppose. I and
some of them have been trying the vitre-manie (?) for our
Chapel-window. Yesterday I brought down my chess-board and
challenged the boys, and fought P., R., and I. C., one after
the other....
 
‘On Sunday evening we sing hymns for ever so long together,
just like one huge family. The boys never seem to quarrel, or
say one spiteful word of each other. We have just had two new
boys; one is an Afghan; so we shall have the sons of Christian,
Muhammadan, Hindu, and Afghan, (by race,) parents all together.’
 
TO MISS ‘LEILA’ HAMILTON.
 
‘_Dec. 13, 1878._
 
‘This evening as Mera Bhatija has gone to Amritsar, I asked
three of our lads to tea.... After tea I taught the lads “Cross
Questions and Crooked Answers,” and showed them my splendid
bubbles and my chatelaine, which were greatly admired, and my
photograph-book, a great treasure to me. But what gave perhaps
more amusement than anything was the Beaconsfield handkerchief.
I was so glad to get some photos at last.... My visits in the
city were interesting. Dear B--n’s troubles have re-opened his
mother’s Zenana to me. She even paid me a visit here. I do not
see any inclination in her to become a Christian, however;
she says that I shall go to Heaven my way, and she hers. I
suggested the disagreeableness of 840,000 transmigrations;
but she did not seem troubled. Perhaps she hopes that she has
passed through a few hundreds of millions already.’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_Dec. 23, 1878._--“I shall go to rest to-night nestling under
my Laura’s love, and I shall rise very early to thank her,”
was my thought last night, as I got into my nice comfortable
bed, with her soft, light, warm quilt above me. And here I am
sitting by my blazing wood fire, long ere dawn, with that same
quilt like a shawl round my shoulders,--so comfy! Luxurious
Char! But, after all, I have not begun my thanks, and where am
I to end them?
 
‘Your wonderfully packed parcel reached me in perfect safety
yesterday. It was something like a nut, for it was rather
difficult to get at the kernel. So much careful stitching by
dear fingers. At last, however, the beautifully warm skirt and
quilt, and most exquisite cards, were fully displayed to view.
A thousand, thousand thanks! I have so _many_ things, such
goodly gifts, to remember my Laura by!...
 
‘Our Christmas festivities have already begun. Our house is
pretty full with Native friends. Perhaps the most interesting
is dear B., the once Muhammadan wife of a Christian Catechist,
and mother of Christian children, who was so sturdily bigoted
that she held out for thirteen years, before she would give
herself to the Saviour. But then she did so in her honest way.
B. was never a hypocrite; we respected her when she vexed us.
It was something for her to remain with her husband; for,
by Muhammadan law, baptism of husband or wife constitutes
divorce. Mera Bhatija told me of a curious case, which excited
much interest,--to Europeans it would excite much surprise.
A Muhammadan, who had, I suppose, read Christian books, was
travelling with some other Muhammadans, and was imprudent
enough to say that Muhammad wrought no miracles, and expressed
doubts as to his being really a prophet. The poor man happened
to have a rich wife, who, we may believe, did not care for
him. To _speak against_ the Prophet is enough to constitute a
divorce! The companions of the man did not let their chance
go of half ruining him. The case was brought into Court, and
an English judge was obliged to give a verdict against the
unfortunate fellow, who had expressed an honest opinion. He
lost his wife and her rich dowry....’
 
* * * * *
 
‘AMRITSAR, _Dec. 28, 1878_.--I am sitting with my sweet Laura’s
delicious quilt wrapped closely round my shoulders, for it
is warmer than a shawl; and I am up before the fire-lighting
period. Not being at home, I do not know how to light the fire
myself.
 
‘Our Christmas at Batala went off beautifully, and has, I
think, left a feeling of thankfulness on both Mera Bhatija’s
mind and my own. The following day we both came to Amritsar.
Yesterday was the grand opening of the Alexandra School. Mr.
Clark asked me to write an account of it for his report. I
did not like the task; it makes one feel so penny-a-linerish;
and one is afraid of writing to please this or that person,
etc.; but I could not well refuse, so I have been scribbling
something in pencil in the cold, which I mean to submit to dear
Emily’s criticism....
 
‘Oh, I must tell you what a boon your Beaconsfield handkerchief
is! It gave much amusement at Batala, both to Europeans and
Natives; it is giving much here at Amritsar. I am engaged to
dine with the Clarks this evening; so I dare say that the good
Bishop, Archdeacon, and all will have a laugh over my puzzle.
On Monday I am to go to Lahore, and sleep a night at Government
House. I mean to take my handkerchief with me....
 
‘Batala will present rather a contrast to bustling Amritsar and
Lahore. When I return, there will probably be no European but
myself there for days, as Mera Bhatija must be absent at the
Conference till the 6th.’
 
So ended the third year of Miss Tucker’s life in India. She had now
thoroughly settled down to her own especial work in Batala.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER VIII
 
A.D. 1878-1879
 
EARLY CHRISTIAN DAYS IN THE 19TH CENTURY
 
 
It is clear that Charlotte Tucker was profoundly impressed with the sense
of living, as she said, in the First Century, instead of the Nineteenth.
In another letter, soon to be quoted, she describes her Batala experience
as ‘being carried back to the days of the Apostles.’
 
For in Batala the complex conditions of modern life, the intricacies
of Nineteenth Century Christianity, were absent. Here in England it is
more or less the correct thing to be in some measure religious, to be at
least nominally a Christian. People are on the whole expected to go to
Church,--or, if Dissenters, just as much to go to Chapel,--and though the
going to Church, as a matter of course, does not at all indicate the lack
of deeper reasons, of purer motives underlying, it does make the going a
very easy matter. So, also, a mother takes her little one to Church for
Baptism, again almost as a matter of course; often indeed with heartfelt
prayer and longing, but with no question of danger involved in the act.
It is a perfectly simple thing to do. More attention would in fact be
drawn by _not_ doing it than by doing it.

댓글 없음: