2017년 3월 2일 목요일

A Lady of England 81

A Lady of England 81



‘“Can you write?”
 
‘He was weak in that, poor fellow. Having only one arm
increases the difficulty.
 
‘“Do you know accounts?”
 
‘“No,” he frankly owned; but he could learn; he would take
pains.
 
‘“You had better speak to the Padri Sahib; he makes all the
bandobast (arrangements); he is wise and kind.”
 
‘If _I_ would speak to the Padri Sahib,--he could tell _me_;
but with the Padri Sahib he was shy, etc.
 
‘It is rather refreshing to see a Native Christian, especially
one brought up to regard idleness rather as a virtue, turning
over in his mind what he can do to earn his living. If we
help poor M. to a little better education, perhaps his little
village school may prove not a bad idea, for the scholars
would learn what is good from him, though they could only
have elementary teaching. I do not see why rustics should
want high education. The Government are educating thousands
of clever infidels, who cannot all find employment as clerks,
etc., and who will despise manual labour. We want simple pious
_labourers_ to mind the plough, spell out their Testaments, and
try to obey God’s commands.’
 
August and September this year saw Miss Tucker, not at Dalhousie, but
at Dilur, 3000 feet above the sea, with forest-clothed Himalayan slopes
below, and snow above. She went there, partly for the change, but
more for the sake of staying with a young married couple, to whom her
companionship was a boon. The snow appears to have soon vanished, as in
one letter, written in September, she observes: ‘The mountains are quite
high and bold enough for beauty, though to my comfort there is not a
soupçon of snow upon any of them.’ From the budget of Dilur letters, only
two quotations can be given. The first is rare in style at this period of
Charlotte Tucker’s life. She seldom found time for written ‘cogitations.’
 
TO MISS ‘LEILA’ HAMILTON.
 
‘DILUR, _Aug. 25_.
 
‘This is a very quiet place ... so I have plenty of time for
thinking. I have been musing to-day why it is so very much more
easy to love some Christians than others. You and every other
servant of God must feel this, I think. It is not quite easy
to get at the bottom of the matter. I ought to have particular
facilities for judging; for, thank God, I find it easy to love
a good many.
 
‘I have been considering to-day that simile of the four
different circles round Him Who is the Centre of light,
holiness, and beauty. Those who live nearest to Him, I do
believe, actually catch something, however faint, of His
likeness.... Christ is the All-attractive; and in the degree that
His redeemed ones reflect His Image, it seems to me that they
unconsciously attract. If I be not mistaken in this idea, one
sees why anything of littleness or meanness repulses. Those
possessing such qualities may be sincere servants of Christ;
but these qualities _spoil all likeness_! So, love, here is the
result of my cogitations, as I reclined on the sofa to rest
myself after rather a tiring little expedition.
 
‘But oh, what a solemnising thought it is!--The likeness
to Him, which we _know_ will be apparent in another world,
to begin in this! The glass of our souls, so spotted and
dusty,--spotted with sin, and dusty with pettiness,--to be
cleansed and polished, so as to receive such an Image! But you
and I, love, have caught a glimpse of that Image in those whom
we have been privileged to know; have we not?’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_Sept. 29._
 
‘Yes, precious Laura, you might be sure that Char does not
forget you in prayer any day; but your last dear letter from
Ilfracombe made me more inclined to praise. It seemed as if
God had granted just what I wished for you; that spiritual joy
which is His special gift. Why should the Children of Light
tread the pilgrim way in heaviness? “Light is sown for the
righteous,” and the crop begins to show itself even here....’
 
Later, in the same letter, when speaking of two young converts, she says
of one of them:--
 
‘He is a Mullah’s (Muhammadan religious teacher’s) son, and
has been brought up in a fine school for bigotry. He told me
what a merit it is considered to kill infidels; and that, when
a child, he had intended to acquire this merit. “Do you mean
that, if they could, the Muhammadans would think it right
to kill all the Europeans and Native Christians?” I asked.
“Beshakh!” (Without doubt!) replied the lad simply. Happily all
Muhammadans are not Mullahs’ sons!’
 
* * * * *
 
‘BATALA, _Oct. 31, 1879_.--What shall I say for the splendid
box, which reached me in perfect condition to-night? I am
almost bewildered by the multitude of my possessions, and have
hardly yet quite realised their amount.... What shall I begin
with?--not the medicine, surely,--and yet quinine is such a
treasure in India, so often required, asked for! It is _the_
medicine in a fever-land. And it is dreadfully expensive. I
think that I once paid more than a guinea for a bottle, not a
large one. But the cretonne--yes, that must have a principal
place in my letter of thanks; such a splendid supply!...
 
‘I hope that my Laura will forgive me if I do not gobble up all
the groceries myself!! Of the chocolate and biscuit I shall
probably largely partake; they are such a comfort on winter
mornings....’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_Nov. 13._--I think that this is the fourth Anniversary of my
landing at Bombay,--my Indian birthday! Oh, how much I have to
be thankful for! Surely goodness and mercy have followed me!
 
‘Shall I give you a sketch of this my Indian birthday? Up
early--for I went to bed early. Ate two or three of my Laura’s
biscuits, and enjoyed them. Wrote till dear good R. brought the
hot water for my bath. Then came breakfast No. 2--tea and an
egg. At 7 A.M., or thereabouts, the prayer-bell rings, and we
all assemble in chapel. After chapel comes my delightful walk
in the fresh morning air. A little more writing and reading,
and--breakfast No. 3 with Mera Bhatija at 9. After that, off to
the city on foot, my kahars carrying my duli behind me.
 
‘In the city I visited first a Muhammadan Zenana, then paid my
weekly visit to our Brahmin convert, B.’s wife.... Then went to
G. R.’s Zenana, where are four generations of the family. I
can read the Gospel there, without let or hindrance. The sweet
young Bibi looked as if she would like me to kiss her,--so I
did! Then to Sadiq’s mother. After this I returned home, noted
down where I had been, and then--did _not_ set to my lessons.
I had something else to do. The cloth of our large screen was
dirty; so Mera Bhatija suggested our putting the pictures on a
nice clean one, and having the first white-washed. So I got in
my Ayah to help me, and we were stitching away like anything,
when I was interrupted by a visitor.
 
‘No fashionable lady,--no insipid individual, such as you must
talk to about weather, etc., but a fine, thoughtful young
Man,--who had been given a New Testament, which he is reading
every day, and who sat down on the floor, and quietly, gravely,
asked me to explain difficulties which he had met with in his
reading, such as Daniel’s “abomination of desolation,” the two
women grinding, etc.... When he left, I returned to my beauty
screen, but was interrupted by dear good Bibi M., who came to
read her report. She also wanted quinine,--I am _rich_, my
Laura knows. This brought me up to 3 o’clock dinner.
 
‘Poor N. N. is not well, so I had no afternoon lesson from a
Munshi, but I did a little by myself. Then out into the bright,
pleasant air, where I had a nice talk with dear I. and P. After
I came in, Mera Bhatija and I had tea,--now I am writing to my
Laura by lamplight; and when I lay down my pen, I intend to do
a little lessons. I have written out my vocabulary very large,
so as not to injure my eyes. At 8½ I shall hear the bell ring
for prayers; and that almost closes the day.
 
‘Now is not this a very nice Indian birthday? I feel quite well
and hearty now; much stronger than when in the Salt range.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_Nov. 22._--Cold having set in pretty sharply, I have taken my
“graceful Grey” and faithful old Green out of their safe summer
quarters, and have prepared them for immediate service, putting
in lace to the sleeves, etc. The Episcopal Purple, my grand new
dress, I reserve for grand occasions. My dress must be well
fastened up, and decidedly more than clear the ground, when I
go to Zenanas. See me, in fancy, climbing slowly up a dirty
steep outside staircase. I have the indispensable umbrella in
one hand,--though it be winter, the sun may be blazing,--my
large books in the other. Unless I had a third hand, I could
not hold up my dress; and the steps may be of mud. Trains,
elegant in the house, would never do in Zenanas.... I hope
that you and dear Leila will be interested to hear that our
one-legged B., in search of a wife, has succeeded in finding
one. I think that their banns have been called twice; and we
shall probably see the happy pair next week.’

댓글 없음: