2017년 3월 2일 목요일

A Lady of England 88

A Lady of England 88



It was also in the course of 1882 that some one wrote a sketch of her
life, and requested her to revise the same before publication. Miss
Tucker had not attained to modern composure on such questions, and she
wrote with indignation: ‘I am afraid ... neither you nor others may like my
note to ----.... I need not dwell upon the part about the little book; it
is too personal to myself. What would you think of a little book being
written about yourself,--and sent to you to _correct_? Oh! Oh!! Oh!!!’
 
For some time past Charlotte Tucker had been watching with great interest
the movements of the Salvation Army in India; at first with a disposition
to admire and approve, which tendency gave place gradually to strong
disapproval, as she saw more of the methods employed, and found the
exceedingly defective nature of the religious teaching given.
 
Some very curious glimpses of Indian modes of life and thought, and of
the manner in which Miss Tucker dealt with them, appear in the letters
of 1882 and 1883, as will be seen in succeeding extracts. Among the
singular things constantly happening, an old woman in a Zenana, at
about this time, composedly offered to _sell_ to A. L. O. E. one of her
daughters-in-law. ‘If you will give me a hundred rupees, you may have
her,’ the old woman said frankly. Needless to remark, Miss Tucker did not
buy the poor girl!
 
‘_Nov. 17, 1882._--I had, I thought, finished my
Zenana-visiting to-day, when a man, at a loom in a room which I
had not entered, called out to me, “I wish a Gospel. I want to
compare it with the Koran.” He and the bibi wanted me to come
into their room; so of course I went and sat down. Says the
man, “I think my religion good. I want to compare our books.”
“Much better,” said I. The man brought his Koran, a translation
into Urdu, probably made by some Christian, or at least printed
in some Christian press. The good man treated me to such a long
reading of the Koran, page after page, I did not know when he
would stop! I felt it not only common politeness to sit and
listen attentively, but good policy also, for how can I expect
an earnest Muhammadan to give the Gospel a fair hearing, if I
will not even listen to the Koran?
 
‘The man was anxious that I should understand as well as
hear, stopping every now and then to translate a word that he
thought might puzzle me. But the Urdu was particularly simple
for anything doctrinal. To understand anything doctrinal,
even such sermons as I hear, it is absolutely necessary to
know _some_ Arabic words. I have written out more than two
hundred,--chiefly Arabic,--_all_ beginning with M, and mostly
three-syllabled words, which I feel that I ought to know; yet
they are hardly of any use with women; and if I have them
all at my fingers’ ends, I shall still be very imperfectly
furnished. Is it not a puzzling language? Of course, some of
these two hundred words are provokingly similar to each other,
but the meaning is different.’
 
In the same letter she mentions a visit from the Indian Christian Faqir,
M., who a quarter of a century before had given up a lucrative situation,
and ever since had wandered about India, preaching the Gospel. On 20th
November the same subject recurs:--
 
‘His type of devotion is thoroughly _Hindu_, transfigured into
Christianity.... One part of our conversation, however, amused
me.... It was when we came on the subject of celibacy. The Hindu
evidently thought it better than marriage. He seemed to regard
it as an objection to the latter, that when a husband lost his
wife he would cry for two or three days!--the Faqir’s[104]
religion is a very joyful one, and when his eyes moisten it
is with religious emotion. I stood up for marriage. The dear
man is no stern ascetic; he smiled and half gave way, and said
that he liked people to be happy. It is pretty clear, however,
as regards himself that it is better for him to be unwedded.
He walks long distances; sometimes forty--fifty--sixty--miles.
He says that he is not so strong as he was. But he thinks
nothing of age; the spirit never grows old.... M.’s voice is
peculiar; one could always tell without seeing him whether he
were in chapel or not; for his “Amen” sounds like a note from a
bassoon.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_Nov. 21, 1882._--While it is fresh in my mind I had better
give you a description of our grand day, the laying of the
first stone of our Church by the Lieutenant-Governor....
 
‘Since the old days of the Sikhs I doubt whether Batala ever
saw such a tamasha. Numbers and numbers of boys were gathered
together by dear Francis, lining the roads, and cheering. Gay
looked the many-coloured turbans. Mr. Wade thought there must
be about one thousand boys, for we had Government School,
City School, our Village Schools, and our own boys. We had
a fine triumphal arch at the opening into our grounds, with
“Welcome” in gold on scarlet; but it was far surpassed by the
lovely one in Persian Urdu, prepared by our boys for the Church
site: “Him that cometh to Me, I will in no wise cast out.”
Dear Emily Wauton came and helped us greatly; she specially
took the luncheon-table under her care; and very elegant it
looked, with the cold collation, and plenty of flowers from
Amritsar. My bedroom overlooks our front door, so in this
room our three _pardah-nishin_ were hidden.... I dare say that
these poor prisoners[105] of pardah specially enjoyed what was
to them so novel. The good Lieutenant-Governor was more than
punctual; a happy thing, as we had much for him to do, and only
about an hour and a half to do it in. He brought with him his
daughter, a winsome young maiden, ... whom I called “dear” before
we parted. I liked the Lieutenant-Governor very much; a man of
fine presence but simple manners....
 
‘The luncheon was preceded by the reading by one of the Batala
non-Christian magnates of an address, emblazoned with gold;
other Batala folk, some in very grand dresses, standing in
line. The Lieutenant-Governor gave a reply in English, which I
doubt whether many understood. Then we went to our collation;
fifteen sat down.... You should have seen our servant ----; he
was quite magnificent. He had on such a gold-adorned pagri
that it might have graced the head of a rajah, and had as
much gold on his dress. I did not think that he looked like a
Missionary’s servant, but we left him to enjoy his splendour.
I had thought, darling, whether I should wear _your_ silk
dress:[106] but no, thought I; in my Batala I will _not_ wear
silken attire; so I wore my Laura’s purple, which was just the
thing, sober and handsome. The collation went over nicely; we
could not linger at it long, and no one could drink too much,
as water was our beverage. After seeing the view from the roof,
we started in the borrowed carriages for the Church. The first
carriage, which held the Aitchesons, Mera Bhatija, and myself,
had highly conservative horses, decidedly opposed to progress.
No use coaxing and urging them; the “nat-khats” _would not_ go.
The only thing was to get out and go into another carriage.
 
‘Of course, there were many people at the site of our church.
We had four surpliced clergymen, my three nephews, Francis,
Mr. Wade, and Mr. Weitbrecht, and Nobin Chanda.[107] ... The
religious Service was very nice; of course, in Urdu. Then Sir
Charles[108] spread mortar over the place on which the marble
block was to descend, in what was considered a very workmanlike
manner. We sang “The Church’s One Foundation” in Urdu; Mr.
Weitbrecht’s and Mr. Wade’s fine voices making it sound so
well. Sir Charles made such a nice religious speech; it was
almost like a little Missionary address. _He_ had had, he
said, a very private conversation for an hour with a Native of
distinction, who was in concern about his soul; and it ended
by the Native saying that he had sometimes prayed to the Lord
Jesus, but would now pray to Him _every day_. Thank God for a
Lieutenant-Governor who thus shows his Christian colours!
 
‘We drove to the station, after again forsaking the carriage
drawn by the “nat-khats.”[109] Sir Charles made me come into
the railway carriage, to see its comfortable arrangements.
Thoughtful Francis had caused tea and cake to be taken to the
station. All went off so nicely; and my dear Bhatija feels that
he has not had his labour and expense for nothing.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_Nov. 28._--In three days I am to go up to Amritsar, ... where
I am to sleep on that Friday night.... By some afternoon train
I shall probably then go to Lahore.... On Sunday there are to
be special services for the Conference, and Holy Communion
is to be administered; a meet commencement for a gathering
together of sisters from nine different Societies. But Char
has a special interest of her own. We have at least a dozen of
those who were Batala boys at Lahore.... I have arranged that
my boys should meet me on Sunday afternoon. This is to me one
of the most interesting parts of my visit to Lahore.... I have
been obliged to prepare two little papers, but have made them
mercifully short. I think that one takes about five and the
other three minutes to read aloud,--I timed the reading,--so no
one will have time to be tired.’
 
Of the above event Miss Wauton says: ‘In 1882 she came to a Conference in
Lahore, in which all the Zenana Missions of the Panjab were represented,
and was with one consent elected President of the Meetings. None who
were present could ever forget the tactful, graceful way in which she
conducted the proceedings. Many, I believe, felt that the harmonious
spirit, which prevailed in that assembly, was largely due to the loving
and Catholic spirit of our President.’
 
‘_Dec. 15, 1882._--I have written to the ----s about the
Salvation Meeting at Lahore, at which I was present. I have
not told them, however, how sad an impression it left on my
mind.... To _me_ there was no real joyousness in the sound of
the drum and the tambourines.... The puzzle is to me how such
music CAN be the means of converting any, unless it be English
roughs. X.[110] was eager to join the “Army,” and go with them
for a month to Calcutta. But he went to the meetings, and his
wish appears to have evaporated; at least here he is.... The
prevailing feeling in my heart (at the meeting) was--_pity_.
Though I knelt, I really _could_ not pray. The big drum and
tambourines seemed to silence any whisper of real devotion
in my soul.... I think that I have just ascertained one thing
which has cooled our really devout X. It appears that he asked
----[111] about Holy Communion, and found that he had not
received it since coming to India! Alas! alas! and if he lets
Natives consider themselves saved and sure of Heaven without
Baptism,--where will all end? The Blessed Saviour’s two clear
commands neglected! And ---- just killing himself to introduce
such a mere--one almost fears--shadow of religion! It is just
grievous! How inconceivably artful the Enemy is!’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_Dec. 21._--I paid a visit to a village to-day. I first went
to the school, then paid my respects to the lady of the place....
She showed me into a pretty bare room,--a chair was brought
for me afterwards. But I thought little about the room; its
strange occupants attracted my attention. I seemed transported
into the Middle Ages, and found myself amongst the retainers of
some bold baron,--men who looked like the stuff out of which
freebooters are, or were, made. There were four powerful men,
with four falcons; and the hoods of the falcons were grand. I
suspect that they were valuable birds, used for hunting.

댓글 없음: