2017년 3월 2일 목요일

A Lady of England 89

A Lady of England 89


 ‘I had an animated conversation with these burly fellows--not
the birds, but the men--if that could be called a conversation,
where the talking was almost entirely on one side. I had my
Parable of the Two Paths with me, and spoke very plainly about
Paradise and Hell;--and they listened to the old lady with
perfect good-humour. I dare say that the bold falconers were
rather surprised to find such an apparition in the village; for
they seemed to have nothing to do with Batala, where of course
my face is very familiar.
 
‘As I was returning in my little duli, I saw a bullock-cart in
front, with a kind of red, dome-shaped vehicle on it, which
of course contained some pardah-lady, perhaps a bride. I
noticed that the curtain was drawn back. Probably the prisoned
inmate of the red cage had caught sight of the duli, and was
curious to see its occupant. As my kahars went faster than the
bullocks, I passed the red cage, and a bright jewel-bedizened
lady--smiling, as if amused at seeing a white woman--exchanged
brief glances with me. I thought her a pretty creature. I
wonder what she thought of the old lady who smiled at her.’
 
[Illustration: _Taken at Amritsar about 1882_
 
_F. Jenkins Heliog Paris_]
 
The New Year begins with a line from Mrs. Wade to Mrs. Hamilton, in
reference to the recent Conference:--
 
‘AMRITSAR, _New Year’s Day, 1883_.
 
‘I wish you could have seen dear Miss Tucker as President of
our Lahore Ladies’ Conference. She did all so perfectly; one
only feared her being over tired, but I think she is stronger
than she was some months ago. We had the pleasure of her
staying a night with us on her way; and her walking powers are
wonderful! You will no doubt have a report of the Conference,
and of her solemn and helpful words on John xiii., as it is to
be printed in England.’
 
Although Mrs. Wade could speak of her ‘walking powers’ as ‘wonderful,’
Miss Tucker had at this period hardly the same unvarying good health as
in earlier years. A few days later she was laid by with an attack of
‘shingles,’ with pain in the side. The Native doctor, called in, informed
her that nothing was wrong with either lungs or heart,--the pain which
troubled her being ‘simply from the nerves,’ which were ‘affected by
the eruption.’ Miss Tucker assured him that she was not nervous. Upon
which, as she relates, ‘the Hindu doctor smiled quietly, and gave me
to understand that nerves are real things. He had not meant that I was
fanciful. So the whole thing was simple enough,’ she philosophically
adds. ‘To make a bull, I had a little toothache in my side.’ The attack
gave way readily.
 
‘_Jan. 25, 1883._--One is so apt to feel for the poor,
down-trodden Muhammadan women, that, until I began to read a
novelette written by a Native, I had no idea how they sometimes
turn the tables on their husbands. I am reading the book with
N. N., who quite confirms the truthfulness of the picture. It
appears that a woman will sometimes be asked a question ten
times by her husband, before she vouchsafes an answer. Some
women burn the soles of their shoes, and make a preparation
of them to put on the eyes, believing that by this strange
superstitious means they will always keep their husbands _under
their feet_! With all the talk about Woman’s Rights, we have
hardly got so far as this!’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_Feb. 20._--Mera Bhatija and I took rather a long walk
this afternoon, to look at a lovely little mosque. I had
said before to Francis, “How is it that the mosques are so
beautiful, and our churches here--unless expensively built--so
ugly?” Francis gave me a simple but good reason: “We want
people to go _into_ our churches; the Muhammadans worship
outside theirs.” You see, love, we have first to think of room
and comfort; so beauty gets shoved into a corner.
 
‘We went to look more closely at the graceful mosque, to see
if we could gain hints. I made a rough sketch of the front.
Francis says that it would be much too expensive for us to have
anything so ornamental. We want room for one hundred people at
least; and that dot of a mosque would hold comparatively very
few. Mera Bhatija thinks that we might indulge in two minarets,
and ornament our church with clay vessels turned upside down,
and painted white, with a little Cross on the top of each. We
must have a good-sized Cross, gilt, to glitter in the sun, on
the top of all.... The Cross is our Banner, the Sign of Faith in
the Son of God, rejected by Muhammadan and Hindu! It should
crown--and sparkle on, too--every religious edifice in this
land.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_March 8, 1883._--I had an extraordinary conversation with
a Muhammadan boy to-day. His name is Y. He lives in what I
consider a nest of bigotry. I am more likely to have to dispute
there than in any other place in Batala. I had with me, besides
my Bible, the “Mirror of the Heart,” which contains beautifully
coloured pictures of the human heart, with allegorical vices
represented by various animals, the serpent, rat, etc. It is
a valuable help to a Missionary. The first heart is that of
the natural man, before repentance; the second, that of a man
repenting. The fourth is a horrid heart, of a dingy colour,
with _a black cross_ in it, and seven devils, mounted on the
bad emblems, wanting to get in. It is the heart of a hypocrite.
Well, dear one, I was showing this picture in a Zenana, and
a grave-looking boy, to whom before I had given a portion of
scripture, and who I think once studied in our Mission-School,
Y., was close beside me. When I had gone over the various
pictures, I said to Y., “Which of these hearts,”--showing the
first and second,--“is like yours?” I meant, “Are you repenting
or unrepenting?” The boy, perhaps fourteen years of age, would
not agree that either was like his. To my surprise he made me
turn over to the fourth heart, and told me _that_ was like his.
 
‘“But it is not a Muhammadan’s heart,” said I. “You see the
Cross is in it,--but it is black.”
 
‘“And how do you know,” said the boy gravely, “_that the
Cross is not in my heart_?” I think that he repeated this
touching question afterwards. In short, he kept firmly to
his declaration that _that_ heart was the one like his. What
is passing in that lad’s soul? Does he consider himself a
hypocrite, with seven devils surrounding him? If so, he must
be a hypocrite as regards Muhammadanism?--for he does not
pretend to be a Christian. I suspect that this may be the case.
He _has_ a cross, but it is a black one, because he does not
confess the Saviour.
 
‘There is a great change in dear ----‘s mother. (You remember
perhaps the dear lad in a bigoted home, who so loved the Lord
Jesus, bore persecution for Him, and died in peace.) My last
visit to that house was so different to the first! On the
first occasion I left the place so shocked, that I uttered the
exclamation as I went, “God have mercy on you!” I do not think
that I ever left any other house with such an exclamation on my
lips. The last time I left the house with the exclamation, “God
grant!” The mother had told me the story of her eldest brother,
a policeman, who, like her son, had become Christian in heart,
and incurred the fierce anger of his father by speaking
against Muhammad. A Suni[112] had stabbed the policeman in the
side with a knife; but the Christian refused to prosecute.
He was very gentle, just like the nephew who followed in his
steps. The policeman left Lahore,--this was more than twenty
years ago,--and has never been heard of since. Probably he is
numbered in the noble army of martyrs.
 
‘I said, “I think that both your brother and son are with
the Lord Jesus.” “_Without doubt!_” cried this once bigoted
woman. I urged her to follow them, and asked her if she had no
love for the Lord in her heart. “He is the Apple of my eye,”
she replied. You must not suppose, love, that there is any
immediate prospect of Baptism; but I talked to her about it;
and, as I have mentioned, left the house with a “God grant!”’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_March 24, 1883._--We cannot see one step before us! I was
thinking to-day, as I was going to the City, where my work
_seems_ of so little use, “Abraham had to wait for twenty years
before God kept His promise to him.” Perhaps it may be twenty
years before the promise is fulfilled--fully--to me, “Your
labour is not vain in the Lord.”
 
‘O the utter carelessness of some of the women, who will
interrupt the most solemn, heart-searching conversation with
a question about my dress, or a request for a pin. They seem
so utterly frivolous! Then those who do think, and have some
concern for religion, are such earnest Muhammadans; it is with
them a matter of _heart-love_! It is a mystery how it should be
so, when Muhammad was not only a murderer and profligate, but
has lowered woman altogether; but it seems especially the women
who delight in his false religion. They do not care for its
having no proofs; they _love_ it.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_March 28._--I had rather an interesting visit to-day, which
you may like to hear about.
 
‘I went to the house of a Maulvi ... I had books to take to his
sweet young daughter; and soon I found that the ladies had gone
to a wedding; but as two servants were in the house, I thought
it better to stop and give the “good news” to them. Whether
they cared about it or not, I know not. After my interview with
them, I was about to leave, when who should come in but the
master of the house, the Maulvi himself. (He is not the same
one who was so proud, that I could not help an unpremeditated
rebuke escaping from my lips.) This Maulvi was fresh from a
pilgrimage to Mecca; but the merit ascribed to a Haji did not
seem to make him proud at all.
 
‘He courteously addressed me, sat down, and prepared for a
_tête-à-tête_ with the Englishwoman. He told me that he had
none of our books; that he wanted a controversial one, that he
might compare the two religions. There was no appearance of
bigotry at all. He asked me whether we read prayers. I told
him that we not only had regular prayer, but that we sang
God’s praises,--which the Muhammadans never do,--and opening
my Bible, I read aloud several passages in which Hasrat David
(Saint David) commands us to do so. My gentle Maulvi made no
observation on this proof that Christians pay more obedience
than Muhammadans do to the commands of one whom _both_
acknowledge as a Prophet

댓글 없음: