2017년 3월 2일 목요일

A Lady of England 92

A Lady of England 92


The years 1884 and 1885 passed in the main quietly, marked by no especial
events. Work went steadily on as usual; holidays were short as usual;
failure and success fluctuated as usual. Miss Tucker’s loneliest time
in Batala was over. Now she not only lived with the family of Mr. and
Mrs. Weitbrecht, but two other lady Missionaries were settled in Batala,
helping to carry on the work. Not that Charlotte Tucker’s toil was
lessened thereby. She had a less heavy weight of responsibility; but so
far as actual work was concerned it could never be overtaken,--and it
could not have been overtaken by twice or thrice the number of workers.
Fresh openings were continually appearing, continually calling for
attention.
 
In the hot weather, indeed, she had a taste of her old manner of life.
Then, when other Europeans were compelled one after another to flee to
the Hills, Miss Tucker could safely remain on many weeks longer; up to a
certain point even enjoying the heat. On the whole, however, things were
altered. Not only were other Europeans in Batala most of the year, but
a railway had now been completed between Amritsar and Batala, bringing
all the Amritsar friends within a very easy distance. It became possible
to run over to Batala for a day’s visit; and Miss Tucker grew jealously
anxious, lest such visitors should in any wise hinder her work. ‘I have
let it be known,’ she wrote, ‘that I do not consider myself _off duty_
till 2 P.M., so that if friends come in the morning they visit the house
and not me. I must try to be firm in this, and make no exceptions.’
 
A certain little incident of this period may be mentioned. With a new
Principal, naturally new plans were adopted in the training of the boys;
and Miss Tucker did not always at first take kindly to fresh ideas. She
was now of an age to prefer the old to the new, simply because it was the
old. Dr. Weitbrecht writes:--
 
‘In 1885, by way of encouraging muscular exercise in the hot
weather, I tried the experiment of having the boys taught
wrestling by a Native athlete. The Auntie was at first inclined
to be a little shocked at the new development, and would not
grace the wrestling practice with her presence. One day, as it
was going on, Mrs. Weitbrecht went to a window overlooking the
arena, and there found Miss Tucker, stretched on the floor, her
head out of the low window. In some alarm lest the old lady
should have fainted, she offered to raise her, but was only met
with the reply, “Hush! I’m looking at the boys.” The ladies
soon saw they were discovered, as a handsome young Pathan
looked up with a smiling “Salaam.”’
 
Extracts from the letters of these two years, 1884 and 1885, must
unfortunately, for lack of space, be very limited in number.
 
‘_New Year’s Day, 1884._--I had a very sore parting with Mera
Bhatija; but on that I will not dwell....
 
‘The last day of 1883 was a very sad one to me; but I had
some of the little boys in the evening, and amusing them
shook me out of my melancholy. I awoke early--as usual--on the
New Year’s Day, and sang New Year’s hymns. After that I heard
unwonted music below my window. Good Miss Krapf and three of
the Singha girls had come to salute the New Year with a holy
song. Of course, I went to the city after breakfast.’
 
TO MISS ‘LEILA’ HAMILTON.
 
‘_Jan. 21._
 
‘I am quite _glad_ that my furniture is so simple. Had I had
plenty of gimcracks, I might have been a fidgety old maid.
As it is, there is no harm in having a nursery instead of a
drawing-room. But I have a nice little drawing-room of my own;
a screened-off bit of my fine large sleeping-room. I used it
for my classes when sweet Margaret was here; for I think that a
married couple should not be always having interruptions. This
arrangement does nicely in the cool weather; and in the hot
weather dear Nellie and her babes will be in the Hills. It will
be the old arrangement of Auntie and one choice nephew,--for
Herbert _is_ choice, and kind to my Leila’s attached godmother.’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_Jan. 28, 1884._
 
‘I feel as if I must have a talk with my Laura to-night; for my
spirit feels pensive and my heart tender. The ladies came and
took tea with us; and Miss Krapf brought her music. As Herbert
wanted to see a photo of St. George and Francie, I took my dear
old album into the drawing-room, which it very seldom enters.
While the sweet, rich music was going on, I was--yes, sighing
over my Album. More than twenty of the faces in it no longer of
earth! Sweet Mother, Fanny, Henry, Letitia, Aunt E----,--oh, so
many gone before! Then my Laura looked so like what she did in
old days. I must not look often over _that_ Album; it is like
my youth between two boards. What a changing world!’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_March 26._--I met with a perfectly mad woman in a Hindu
Zenana. She came and sat down beside me. V. and others made me
change my seat to another bedstead--the usual seat. I did not
at first know why, but was soon aware of the cause. The poor,
afflicted woman put her head right down on my lap. She did not
seem to be mischievous. It was insanity, not idiotcy.’
 
TO MISS ‘LEILA’ HAMILTON.
 
‘_April 22, 1884._
 
‘Among the little matters which vary our regular life at
Batala, I may mention almost nightly alarms about robbers.
The servants have got into a nervous state.... It is not a
comfortable state of affairs.... The Weitbrechts and I have been
putting our heads together. I forget which of us suggested the
plan which we hope may succeed. I sleep in the front room,
opposite to the servants’ house; so a great tumult naturally
awakens me, especially as my windows are open for air. The
Weitbrechts are more out of the way.
 
‘Herbert is to lend me his revolver, loaded, and we are to take
care that every one knows that I have the formidable weapon;
but no one but ourselves is to know that I would on no account
hurt any one with it. On the next alarm of robbers, I am to
jump up, and--fire--at the trees or the stars. The report
will probably awake Herbert, who has a rifle. Now you see the
double use of this arrangement. My Ayah may possibly even sleep
out-of-doors, if she knows that a yell from her may bring a
pistol-shot from her vigilant Miss Sahiba; and robbers, if
such there be, will doubtless dread my prowess, not knowing
how peculiarly peaceable I am, and that I would prefer being
shot myself to shooting another! I am to have a very determined
look; and we have all tutored each other _not to laugh_! Both
Herbert and Nellie have some fun in them, but they are to
look as grave as judges, as if Miss Sahiba were a dead shot;
especially on a very dark night, when there is no moon! Have I
not spectacles?’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_April 23._
 
‘Well, my loved sister, if you read my little note to Leila
first, you will be pleased to hear that the night went
over serenely. Even my frightened Ayah seems to have slept
peacefully under the wing of the Buzurg Miss Sahiba, armed
with a revolver! Would not dear Rowland have laughed to see
old Auntie learning from Herbert how to cock and fire a
pistol! I wonder how Nellie kept her countenance, when one
of the servants expressed a hope that Miss Sahiba would give
some notice before firing, for fear of a casualty to one of
the household; and then wanted to know what would happen if
Miss Sahiba _killed_ a thief! Nellie told the inquirer that
we English--she was too truthful to say the Miss Sahiba in
particular--only aimed at limbs to disable, not at bodies to
kill. Nellie knows pretty well that, if _I_ aimed at anything,
it would be at the stars.
 
‘I took care to lock up my dangerous weapon before sunrise,
treating my revolver with great respect. Do you remember that,
when I was known to be coming out to India as a Missionary,
dear, kind H. Boswell wanted to make me a present of his
pistol? I declined it, as a very unnecessary part of a
Missionary’s outfit; but I could not help remembering H.’s
kindness yesterday. Though I never fired Herbert’s revolver,
yet the _report_ of it--to speak in Irish style--had a great
effect.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_May 3._--O yes, my Laura, _love_ your K.[115] The Native is
affectionate. Indians are not usually considered grateful;
perhaps they are not grateful for benefits bestowed through
general benevolence or a sense of duty; but my impression is
that they readily respond to _affection_. This is one of the
great secrets of ----‘s power.... I was rather amused yesterday,
when I was describing Philemon’s funeral to the dear Pandit of
O---- (K. S.), and had said that we went singing towards the
grave. “I will not sing at _your_ funeral,” said he. And then
he told me how he had _tried_ to sing at dear Margaret’s--but
it was quite a failure; he could not sing, his heart was much
troubled. The Pandit is a lovable man; and he loves.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_May 8, 1884._ (_Her Birthday._)
 
‘When I came down in the morning before 6 A.M. I found in
letters of gold on a purple ground over the large front door,
“God save our beloved Miss Sahiba.” I told dear Babu Singha
when we met, as I walked on towards the city, that I liked the
“our.” He observed that “buzurg” seemed to put me farther away
from them. I quite agreed. I like “our,” which makes me seem
like the boys’ property....
 
‘I was surprised in a Zenana to-day by a request for some _old_
article of my clothes for a baby. “I will give you some new
cloth,” said I; for I make exceptions to my rule of not giving
presents to Natives in Zenanas, in favour of new babies and
brides. But the grandfather did not want _new_ cloth at all. He
insisted on something old. So I humoured him, and looked out on
my return home for something that I had worn....
 
‘How much I have to be thankful for, my Laura! I begin my Tenth
September with a quiet, peaceful feeling. “Oh, how kindly hast
Thou led me, Heavenly Father, day by day.” But the best is to
come. “Light after darkness--” Not that my present position is
darkness; but there is often weariness, of course.’

댓글 없음: