2017년 3월 2일 목요일

A Lady of England 91

A Lady of England 91


‘Then it occurred to me that the office of snuffers, humble
enough, being to make candles brighter, the office was
emblematical perhaps of that which St. Paul adjudged to the
aged women. They were to teach the young women to love their
husbands, etc. At last I began to think, darling, that perhaps
my place in the Church here _is_ a little like that of a pair
of snuffers; and now, when I feel that I ought to give a little
word in season to Native Christians, I fancy that I have to
snuff them--not _out_!--O no!--only to remove some little
superfluity....
 
‘I think I must have amused my Laura with my idea of the
snuffers; but it may be a useful thought to those who
are no longer young. A little gentle snuffing may be the
work--unostentatious work--given to us.... What a snip dear H.
gave to W. long, long ago, and how the fine boy admired her for
it!... But then the snuffers were of gold. No one likes to be
snuffed by coarse iron ones.
 
‘What a pity that I have no one to snuff me here! Were we
together, it would be your office, love. I have to act as my
own snuffers, and take hints never intended to be hints, like
noble Tudor’s--“I must do my duty.” He had no idea that he was
acting the part of a tiny pair of gold snuffers. I may almost
say that I have taken these snuffers up, and have been snipping
away with them at our young Natives ever since. No mortal could
object to such a miniature pair.
 
‘_Oct. 16._--Do not think, from what is written above, that,
as I grow older, I think it well to grow more censorious. If
I have grown in anything this year, I think that it is in
knowledge of my _own_ errors and mistakes. I sometimes feel
quite disheartened. I do not think that I ever more mistrusted
my own judgment than I do now, after my various blunders. But
we know that, though snuffers are less straight, comely, and
upright, perhaps, than the candlestick, they may be useful in
brightening the light which it carries.’
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XIII
 
A.D. 1884-1885
 
SOME OF A. L. O. E.’S POSSESSIONS
 
 
Some little time before this Mr. Baring had, for various reasons, decided
to leave Batala, though not, it seems, to give up his interest in the
High School. His departure was fixed for the last day of the year 1883;
and Miss Tucker, after her usual cheerful fashion, congratulated herself
upon the fact that, at least, the New Year would not begin with a parting.
 
Much uncertainty had prevailed as to who should be chosen to carry on
Mr. Baring’s most important work among the boys; but before the end of
December suspense was ended. Another of Miss Tucker’s dharm-nephews, the
Rev. Herbert U. Weitbrecht, with his wife and children, would come to
live in Anarkalli, and Mr. Weitbrecht would be the Principal. By this
time a Mission Bungalow in Batala was finished, and two German ladies,
Miss Hoernle and Miss Krapf, came in the course of December to reside in
it. Miss Tucker, however, does not yet appear to have thought of changing
her quarters. Indeed, the little bungalow was built to contain only two
ladies.
 
On December 27th she wrote home as to arrangements:--
 
‘The Weitbrechts are to come here on Jan. 15 for about a
fortnight. I am to keep house until they come for good about
the middle of March; and then my fair niece, Ellie, is to
take the reins. She and her two children must go to the Hills
in May. All purpose going to England in the following March.
As Herbert did not wish to be buying much furniture, when so
soon to be on the wing, I felt it the best plan to take some
off dear Francis’ hands, and let the Weitbrechts have the use
of them. Thus, I find myself the possessor of a very large
bed, immensely long table, and a variety of other things too
numerous to recount.
 
‘There is no use in my not wanting possessions,--they will
come! I have even a large coffin, which is not the slightest
use to me! I did _not_ buy _that_ from Francis!...’
 
The fact of Miss Tucker including a coffin amongst her possessions
requires a word of explanation. About this time the Rev. Robert Clark
went to pay a little visit to Batala; and on his first arrival he was
shown straight to the room which he would occupy while there. Miss Tucker
came running in, and exclaimed--
 
‘I hope you have not seen it,--have you?’
 
Mr. Clark naturally inquired what was the thing in question which she
wished him not to have seen.
 
‘I had better tell you all about it,’ she said. ‘A poor woman was dying,
and we thought they would take her away and burn her; and we wished to
give her Christian burial. So I ordered a coffin to be made. But they
were late in making it, and she died before it was ready; and they took
her away and burnt her. And then they brought the coffin. It was a very
good coffin, and I thought it would be useful; so I told them to put it
under the bed in the guest-room! You did not see it, did you?’ Mr. Clark
no doubt assured her that he had not yet made the discovery; and she went
on eagerly: ‘You must not think I kept it for myself; for I have directed
in my will that I should be buried without a coffin, and that my funeral
expenses must not exceed five rupees.’
 
The latter injunction was with a view to lessening funeral expenses among
Indian Christians generally, many of them being apt to spend heavily at
such times. But the whole story is eminently characteristic. Many people
shrink from the very mention of a coffin, because of its associations.
Not so Charlotte Tucker! There was to her absolutely no sadness whatever
in the thought of death. She looked forward to the day of her departure
from earth as to a day of release from bondage, of an upward spring into
a new and radiant life. It was a subject to be spoken of cheerily, and
with a smile.
 
What became of the coffin in the end Mr. Clark does not say; but he too
speaks, as do others, of her entire fearlessness with regard to death.
Once, when talking of it to him, she quoted impressively the words, used
long before by her gentle sister, Fanny: ‘Whenever, wherever, however, He
will!’
 
One time, when Mr. Clark was spending a Sunday at Batala with Miss
Tucker, she read aloud to him the 31st verse of the 40th chapter
of Isaiah, and drew attention to the fact that the verse had in it
instruction and comfort for persons of all ages.
 
‘“They shall mount up with wings as eagles,”--that is something for our
young people; they are always soaring and flying. “They shall run, and
not be weary,”--that is for our middle-aged people; they run and work
on, and never seem to tire. And there is something for us old people
too,--“They shall walk and not faint.” We old people cannot fly; we
cannot run; but we can walk, and do not faint. And so we all of us renew
our strength by waiting on the Lord.’
 
Mr. Clark, from whom these details have come direct, writes also:--
 
‘On another occasion, she came walking up to me in her genial,
brisk manner, with a book in her hands, as I entered the
room, and said, “You will be surprised when I tell you what
book I am reading! You know I am a good Churchwoman; and yet
I often like to read Spurgeon’s sermons. They are full of
apt illustrations, and he never repeats himself. I find them
so useful in my writings; and I know hardly any other work
which so much helps me.” In her latter years she often read
Shakespeare, and recommended it to educated Natives, who
were averse to the study of the Bible. The recitations from
Shakespeare, at the Prize-giving in the Baring High School
in Batala, originated with her; and she thought them very
valuable in the formation of character. The Prologues in these
Prize-givings were, I think, till last year all written by her.’
 
Not only in later days, but all through her life from very childhood, she
had delighted in Shakespeare, as we have already seen; and she had a very
high opinion of the value of Shakespeare in the general education of the
Indian mind.
 
In confirmation of certain words above, spoken by herself, Mr. Clark
observes: ‘As regards her religious views, she was sincerely attached
to the Church of England, firmly believing that the teaching of the
Church of England, as set forth in the Book of Common Prayer and in the
Thirty-nine Articles, is in accordance with the Word of God.’ Another
also, who knew her well, has said: ‘A warm Churchwoman, she would always
be ready to see the best of those with whom she could not agree on many
points.’ This undoubtedly was the case,--in practice, if not always in
theory. She was, however, greatly opposed to Ritualism, and would be much
distressed when she came across aught of the kind in her various visits
to different places.
 
The subject recalls involuntarily certain words uttered by Bishop French
of Lahore,--‘our saintly Bishop,’ as Miss Tucker called him. When he was
at home some years ago, and staying at Eastbourne, I happened to put to
him a question bearing on this matter; and his reply was one not soon
to be forgotten. He said: ‘IT IS NO QUESTION OUT THERE OF HIGH CHURCH
AND LOW CHURCH! IT IS A QUESTION SIMPLY OF CHRISTIANITY AND HEATHENISM!’
To this wide and comprehensive view Charlotte Tucker could not have
fully subscribed. In her letters, from time to time, though not often,
the subject crops up, and she expresses her fears strongly as to one
individual or another. But it is noteworthy that when, soon after, she
meets with the individual himself, her fears are usually quieted; and
while conscious of differences on certain points, she is yet able fully
to recognise--and to recognise with delight--real devotion of heart and
life to the Service of the Master Whom she loved. No more unmistakable
token can well exist of true large-heartedness. There was in her no
innate love of controversy for its own sake; and though, as might be
expected with one of her impulsive temperament, she sometimes expressed
her views with energy, she did not love fighting, nor was she a violent
partisan. As a general rule, her aim was rather to build up than to pull down.

댓글 없음: