2017년 3월 1일 수요일

A Lady of England 55

A Lady of England 55


‘A light material of a rather dark grey colour, nicely made up
with a tunic bodice and belt, would be very useful to her. But
what would she say to me, if she thought I had written this?
Another thing is a _feather_ pillow. Such a thing is not to be
had in India; and her dear head is, I am sure, often tired. We
put our only one into her gari just now, hoping she would not
notice it. Off went her coach, and we were so pleased to think
it was with her, but she found it out before reaching the end
of the Avenue, and sent it back. If you could send one with a
coloured cover, it could do either on bed or sofa; and I think
it might be well to put her name on it in indelible ink, for
she is so very likely to give away such a desirable thing....’
 
* * * * *
 
C. M. T. TO MRS. E----.
 
‘BATALA, _Nov. 15, 1877_.
 
‘Where do you think the gay Mission Miss Sahiba has been
to-day? Never consider mine a monotonous life! Why, I have been
to a fair, a _mela_, as they call it here. I had never thought
of a lady’s going to a heathen fair; but two of our Mission
ladies are here for ten days, to conduct examinations in the
schools. Our valuable Miss Wauton said that she would like to
go to the mela. Of course, I would not let her go without a
lady companion; so we both accompanied Mr. Beutel in his light
covered cart, plunging over ruts in the kachcha road in fine
style.
 
‘It was a pretty sight. The weather was delicious. Numbers of
people in their picturesque costumes were threading their way
to the village of A----, white being the prevailing colour of
the men’s costumes, gay red that of the women’s, with a fair
sprinkling of green, a touch of yellow and blue, and here and
there a grand display of glittering gold. But we did not go
just to look at the folk, or to buy fairings either. Emily and
I went armed with books and pictures, to try and sow a little
good seed amongst the women, whilst Mr. Beutel and the two
Catechists preached to the men.
 
‘Mr. Beutel found a shady place for us, and Emily and I tried
to gather women around us. The men were curious, and wanted to
see and hear also. We could not secure an exclusively feminine
audience. It was a Hindu mela; and not many Muhammadans
seemed to be present, which made matters easier for us.... No
one objected to hearing as much about the Blessed Saviour as
we could tell them. Emily speaks Punjabi famously; I have only
about a thimble-full of it; so I chiefly listened to Emily, and
held the umbrella to shield her from the sun.
 
‘It was interesting to look at the faces, when Emily, with
admirable fluency, told the story of the Prodigal Son. At this
time her audience seemed to be principally Sikh men. They
crouched upon the ground around us, and listened with hearty
interest. Nowhere, either from men or women, did we meet with
any rudeness; nor did any one seem vexed with our describing
what our Lord had done for us....
 
‘The way in which Batala is opening out is marvellous. I go
from Zenana to Zenana, and have not by any means finished
paying all my _first_ visits!! Our Bible-woman thinks that
about _thirty_ Zenanas are open to her. I doubt that nearly
so many are open in the large mother-stations of Amritsar or
Lahore. We ought to have two or three clever, active, strong
Miss Sahibas here, instead of one elderly lady, who is slow at
both learning and teaching.
 
‘The two ladies from Amritsar are delighted with Batala. To-day
is, I think, the anniversary of my arrival in India; so I have
entered upon my third year! My Missionary life has, on the
whole, been a very happy one....’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_Dec. 13, 1877._--The overland mail was particularly long in
arriving this time. I hoped that it would bring me something
particularly nice; and what should come to-day but your
dear loving letter, and the first halves of your munificent
contribution to our schools! How very kind and liberal my
Laura is! I had been speaking to Mr. Beutel but yesterday of
those two village schools, which would--from the lowness of
funds--have been dropped, but for your last handsome gift. I
was asking Mr. Beutel how far your Rs.55 would carry them on.
He replied--till past the beginning of March. Beyond that there
was no provision for them at all.
 
‘How delighted Mr. Beutel will be, on his return from Amritsar,
to hear that a bountiful supply has come in! I think it
better to apply your gift to the village schools, than to the
girls’ schools in Batala. The latter, I think, excite more
interest, and are not so likely to be in want of funds. These
poor village schools--since for retrenchment sake they were
cast off--are like waifs and strays. Government does not care
for village schools; the School Society cannot afford to
keep up half the desirable number. Mr. Beutel often receives
applications for new village schools, and is so much interested
in them that he and our Catechist have one between them....
 
‘We are to have a grand tamasha here at Christmas-time. Mr.
Beutel is going to gather, not only the boys of our Batala
Mission School, but boys from village schools. Of course, this
is not merely to give enjoyment, though the enjoyment will
probably be great, but to bring more forcibly before the lads
the tidings of great gladness. We are a little puzzled about
the poor little girls; as their cruel and absurd pardah rules
prevent the possibility of gathering them all together, even in
the Bible-woman’s house.’
 
The beginning of 1878 found Miss Tucker at Batala; and though once more
for a short time her work there was to be broken through, the spring of
this same year, as explained earlier, would see an end of the difficulty
which had attended her permanent residence in the place. The letter
to her sister, written on January 5th, is all through a particularly
characteristic one. A large amount will bear quotation.
 
‘The warm dress which you have so very kindly procured for me
has not yet arrived; but I should not wonder if it were here
on Monday or Tuesday.... We have been guessing of what colour
it will be. Mrs. J. and I both fixed upon grey, Mrs. Beutel
purple, and Mr. Beutel brown. Perhaps after all it will turn
out to be blue. I hope that I may have it in time to wear at
B.’s baptism, which I do hope may take place to-morrow week, if
some clergyman will only come from Amritsar. To this baptism I
look forward with joyful interest. B.’s white dress is probably
ready now. We like converts to wear pure white at baptism. I
intend to give J., the Bible-woman, a new skirt to wear on the
occasion; and I should like to wear something perfectly fresh
too....
 
‘I was in a Zenana to-day, which it is always a mental effort
to visit; but it is very interesting. Instead of talking to the
women there, I am certain to have one or two men, descendants
of the famous Guru Nanak, who engross the conversation with me
almost entirely.
 
‘The religion of the fine old fellow who is the principal
talker is a regular puzzle. He talks Panjabi; so you may
imagine how very difficult it is for me to understand him; and
he _wants to make me understand_. I do my best to do so. This
is what I gather of his views. S. is _not_ a Muhammadan; he
says that he is a Hindu; though by his birth he ought to be a
Sikh. He reverences Guru Nanak,[71] very properly, but thinks
that Guru Nanak has given religious tenets such as I am certain
that he never did. We have no reason to suppose that the
excellent Guru had ever heard of our Saviour. But S. propounds
doctrines that are amazing from the lips of a _Hindu_. He
believes in the one true God. He believes that a time of great
war and trouble will come; and that then Isa Masih (Jesus
Christ) will come like a flash of lightning, and become the
Ishar (Divine Lord) of all the Earth.
 
‘I had taken a Gurmukhi Testament with me. Neither of the men
seemed disposed to read it. I thought that perhaps neither
of them _could_; so I opened it myself, and chose a pretty
easy place. I had never read the Gurmukhi character in a
Zenana before. My old Sikh--for I cannot help considering him
one--listened very attentively, correcting my pronunciation
now and then. I did not venture to read much. Then he took
the Testament himself, and began to read it in regular Sikh
fashion, in a kind of measured chant, as if it were poetry. It
was clear that he _could_ read; so I left the precious Volume
as a loan in that house. May God bless it!...’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_Jan. 9, 1878._--Hurrah! the box has come! It is in process of
being opened.
 
‘Was I not a real witch? Did I not guess a grey dress? What an
elegant, ladylike, quiet costume! And so warm and comfortable!...
When I opened my tempting box, I thought of the dear fingers
which had been employed in putting it up! How very, very
kind you have been! So many, many thanks! And what loves of
cushions! You have remembered my weakness for cushions. Soft,
warm, and so pretty!... I am obliged to go to Amritsar, just for
a few days, as Mr. Clark and Margaret cannot come here; and we
must have a serious, prayerful discussion about what is really
very important, and too complicated for letters.... I see my
_own_ path clearly. I intend, please God, to stick by Batala.
My friends will not hear of my staying alone.... May God guide
us! Batala should NOT be abandoned.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_Jan. 23._--I have come back from Amritsar, with nothing
settled, except that the Beutels are to go to Amritsar about
the middle of March. The Batala affairs have been much talked
over.... I earnestly hope that I may not have a third time to
retreat from Batala, for lack of a companion. We are beating
about for one, but it seems a hard thing to find, we are
so undermanned. Every one seems to acknowledge the great
importance of Batala....
 
‘As for its being unhealthy, I regard it as _more_ healthy than
either Amritsar or Lahore. The tank is a lovely tank, with no
bad smell; and when it is very full I can _see_ the current of
water flowing in on one side and out at the other. Fishes live
and jump about in it; and birds delight in its bright waters.
I have a better chance of keeping well through the hot weather
here than at the bungalow at Amritsar. This house is far better
built, with thick walls, lofty rooms, etc. But none of my
Missionary friends at Amritsar will listen to my staying here
alone. So I must just wait, and see what is God’s Will. He can
send me a companion, if He sees right to do so.’

댓글 없음: