2017년 3월 1일 수요일

A Lady of England 56

A Lady of England 56


 ‘_Feb. 7._--Perhaps you will be glad to hear that all our
attempts to find a companion for me at Batala have failed.
Poor ---- must go back to England; it was a mistake ever to
have sent out so delicate a lady. Miss ---- with whom I was
in treaty, is going home too. Mrs. ---- has been secured for
another station.... Perhaps I have been too ready to say to
myself, “There is no place on earth where I can be so useful
as at Batala.” I must come down a little, which is wholesome.
But I have not any sense of defeat; no, thank God,--every visit
to Batala, it seems as if fresh ground had been gained. The
waves retreat again and again, while the tide is advancing.... I
believe that a far better spirit, a spirit of kindness towards
us, a lessening of prejudice, a most encouraging readiness to
listen, is now spreading in Batala.[72] Maulvi Z. felt the
difference. B--n feels the difference. I believe that there
will be _real_ regret at our leaving Batala. Dear B--n!... I had
brought for B--n’s children two gay little coverlets.... B--n
took them and wrapped them round the plump little girls as
chaddahs. I think that he was quite pleased....
 
‘Oh, did I tell you--I told somebody--about my other Brahmin;
the elderly man who prays by the side of our tank? I have
repeatedly spoken to him in my indifferent Panjabi; and I
spoke to my nephew, R. Bateman, about him, when he was here
for two days. So on one of the mornings I see my nephew seated
beside my Brahmin close to the tank, with only a handkerchief
round his delicate head. His old Auntie soon supplied him with
an umbrella. R. Bateman gave me afterwards an account of the
Brahmin’s strange view of religion. One can hardly imagine a
mind in which the whole visible creation is regarded as God.
The Brahmin had no idea of _sin_; he had _never seen it_, he
said,--as if it were a thing like a stone or a tree!
 
‘I saw the poor fellow by the tank yesterday morning, and went
out and spoke to him. I invited him to come to morning prayers.
Rather to my surprise, the dear man really did come. He must
be a wondrously meek Brahmin; for he seated himself on the
floor amongst the servants, labourers, etc., apparently quite
forgetful of the tremendous difference between their castes and
his own. Mr. Beutel makes morning family prayers almost like
a regular service. He not only reads the Bible, but expounds.
I had asked him, for my Brahmin’s sake, to make his address
as Punjabish as possible; so he stuck in Punjabi words where
he could. My Brahmin looked very attentive. He has a sort of
childlike readiness to listen, looking full at you when you
speak; and his face quite brightening as if with pleasure when
you talk of a Saviour. It must be all so strangely new to him!
I wonder if he will come again....
 
‘To-day I went to two new houses,--I have such a number to go
to! When I sang of the Saviour’s invitation, to a Hindu, not
only did she seem to listen attentively, but I saw her wiping
moist eyes.
 
‘Margaret and E. Clay intend coming here the day after
to-morrow for two days.... I must not dwell on parting with
Margaret.[73] I rejoice in the happiness which I hope she will
enjoy. She has worked long and very hard.... No doubt there are
some wise and merciful reasons for sending me away from Batala.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘BATALA, _Feb. 14_.--Another curious phase in my strange,
strange life! I told you or dear Leila of the idea of the
Boys’ Orphanage being brought here. That idea was knocked on
the head; but another is taking such shape that it is likely
enough that I shall find myself, not exactly planted in, but on
the top of--and underneath also--_another_ boys’ school! The
Rev. F. Baring, the Bishop of Durham’s son, has fallen in love
with Batala, and has set his heart on buying this house from
Government, for a Boarding-school for Christian Native Boys.
 
‘We have no wish, however, to lose our hold of our beautiful
palace as a station for the Zenana Mission; so it is likely
that, if Mr. Baring succeed in buying Anarkalli, he will allow
our Mission to rent from him, on easy terms, that part of the
house which we now occupy (by we I mean myself), with the
addition of the drawing-room and part at least of the grand
dining-room. Dear, good Babu Singha and his wife and family
will probably live in another part of the palace, he being
Under-Superintendent of the School!!
 
‘Here’s a brown and white Happy Family for you! Natives and
Europeans can hardly chum together; yet it would be absurd
to have _three_ cooks for us. The present idea is for Mr.
Baring and me to chum, _till_ I am joined by any young lady.
Mr. Baring ... is quite happy with me, because of my venerable
age, which I have found such an advantage in India. He asked
me to-day to have him as a nephew! How rich I am in these
dharm-nephews,--to say nothing of the real ones! Now I have
_five_; one of them being my Afghan, and the others four of
the most valuable clergymen in the Panjab Mission.[74] Henry,
my Afghan boy,[75] you must know. He is the youngest of all my
dharm-nephews.
 
‘Now, what does my sweet Laura say to my plans--and my family?
I like you to know all my nephews.... I have more nieces even
than nephews; but you have had enough of my dharm-family for
the present. Mr. Clark wanted me to take him in too. If he had
asked to be a _brother_, I should have welcomed him; but I
really could not have as a nephew one to whom we look up as a
head-pastor, a kind of bishop! I don’t think that my nephews
should be more than forty years old.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘AMRITSAR, _Feb. 23, 1878_.--Here I am again in dear old
Amritsar.... I know that you will be curious to hear how the
Batala school plan progresses. Well, we are waiting to hear
what our saintly new Bishop says to it. In a matter of such
importance it is right to wait for the advice of such an
Apostolic man.... I wait passively. There is plenty of work for
me at Amritsar, more than I can do at all properly....
 
‘You see, Laura darling, there are quantities of Aunts in
England; but an old Auntie is a rare bird in India, and
therefore in request. I am like a hen with such a large brood!
 
‘Dearest Margaret will be much missed. Many, many, both English
and Natives, love her.... The Native Christians have quietly
subscribed for a shawl for her Mother, as a token of their
grateful love. I think the Natives very affectionate. People
talk of their being ungrateful; but those who talk so have
perhaps never _earned_ their gratitude. If you love them, they
love you! They are very sensitive, both to kindness and to
unkindness....’
 
TO MISS ‘LEILA’ HAMILTON.
 
‘_March 4, 1878._
 
’ ... Missionary work can be just as truly done in England as
in India; but only a few of the dear workers _can_--without
forsaking other duties--come out so far as the Panjab. Those
who come here should be strong also, physically as well as
mentally suited for the peculiar work and trying climate....
 
‘There are plenty of poor in Amritsar, as well as Batala. I
went to Mrs. Clark’s yesterday, at the large Mission House.
In her garden were quantities of poor folk; between three
and four hundred, counting children. A Catechist preached to
them first; and then a great number of chapatties, a kind of
thick flat cake, of very simple make, with a small quantity
of dal,[76] was handed round and distributed. Adults had two
chapatties each; children one. Mr. Clark had had a Brahmin to
cook, for Hindu beggars would not otherwise have liked the
food, and Muhammadans do not object to a Brahmin’s cooking.
Station-people subscribe to help in the distribution of this
food....
 
‘Mr. Clark and my new nephew, Mr. Baring, have gone to Lahore
to see our new Bishop.[77] He is known to be such a saint,
that thanksgivings have been offered again and again for his
appointment.’
 
TO MRS. J. BOSWELL.
 
‘_March 4, 1878._
 
‘Is poor, dear ---- going to remain in the same house, so full
to her of sad memories? People feel so differently on this
subject. Some cling to the spot where they have loved and
sorrowed,--others fly from it. I should never like to cross
the threshold of No. 3 again. I am rather pleased that it has
another number now. There is _no_ 3 Upper Portland Place now.’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_March 8._--I can fancy the request to have my letters
directed to Batala has excited a little curiosity. It really
seems likely that our comical arrangement will be carried out;
and that I and my nephew will find ourselves chumming together
in the midst of a Boys’ School!!
 
‘The Panjab is eager to have a boys’ school for young Christian
Native gentlemen. The Bishop approves. Our boys are to pay
Rs.5 a month. This may cover food expenses, but of course not
the expense of first-class teaching. Batala is to have this,
the nucleus of a future Panjabi Eton or Harrow (if it please
God to prosper it), the training-place for our clergymen,
lawyers, and merchants. I am _not_ to be Matron. I am the sole
representative--European--of our Ladies’ Zenana Society; but it
would be strange if I lived in the same building with the dear
boys, and took no interest in them. It is probable enough that
I shall find myself playing at Oxford or Cambridge, or giving a
music-lesson to young Panjabis. A comical idea suggests itself.
I have a large family of new Nephews and Nieces in India. Am I
to have a whole troop of brown Grandnephews in perspective!!!
Don’t fancy them ugly savages. Many will probably be winsome
enough,--bright, attractive, and courteous.
 
‘Good Babu Singha and his excellent wife will probably be in
the house, but not chum with Europeans....
 
‘Only imagine my darling Laura dreaming of coming to Egypt to
meet me!! But I doubt her being up to such a journey; and mine
would be about as formidable a one. But the dream is one of
“old,” not “young Love”!’

댓글 없음: