2017년 3월 2일 목요일

A Lady of England 90

A Lady of England 90


‘Accompany me now to another Zenana. A young man showed
himself again and again, as if he wanted to take a share in
conversation, but did not at first see his way to doing so. At
last he told me that there was great excitement. I could not
for some time make out what it was about; it seemed to be about
some birth; but then it appeared to be about something else. At
last the difficulty cleared up. The young Muhammadan made me
understand that it was said that the Imam Mahdi had been born;
and on account of this there was great excitement in H---- and
over the country.
 
‘I said that I had heard about a man, calling himself the
Mahdi, near Egypt. The young man did not seem to have an idea
_where_ the long-expected Imam is, but he said that when the
place should be known all would go to see him. My curiosity
was a little aroused. I asked what the Mahdi was to do. “To
reign over all kingdoms, and make every one Muhammadan.” “But
if they should not choose to be Muhammadans?” “Oh, all will
be Muhammadans.” “But if I did not choose to be a Muhammadan,
would he kill me?” “No, his rule will be like that of the
English.”
 
‘I would not trust the Mahdi, however, nor that animated young
man! This was the only Zenana in which I have heard of the
Mahdi; and I have visited plenty. I had more talk with the
Muhammadan. I said that I thought that the Dajal was expected
to come before the Mahdi. No,--the Mahdi is to come first; then
the Dajal; and then Jesus Christ! It is curious to hear these
ideas!’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_March 28._--I almost think that the Muhammadans are stronger
in their bigotry, from an expectation of some coming event at
the coming Ramazan (great fast) in July. Perhaps, some of them
think, there will be great pestilence; perhaps Christ and the
Mahdi will come;--and the sun rise in the west instead of in
the east. The more intelligent do not seem to expect the last
wonder.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘_April 27._--The beautiful monument which Francis is going
to place over the grave of sweet Margaret was sent here
from Delhi. I have sent a sketch of it to her sisters, and
another to Mrs. Baring. I did not find it so easy to draw as
I expected, on account of the perspective of the three white
marble steps, which support the pure white Cross.... How little
we know who will be called! I remember my pleading with her
not to delay coming out, or she might find a Cross instead of
her friend. The white Cross has been for her, not for me; and
I see no likelihood at present of my soon being called, though
of course one never knows. I have seen so many young pass away
since I came to India.’
 
In the same letter she says with respect to the Baring High School: ‘I
hope and expect that our School has reached its lowest ebb,--twenty-three
boys, mostly little ones. There is some likelihood of six more coming.’
 
Mrs. Hamilton had begun to ask occasionally to her house in London young
Indians who had come to England for a Western education. Some of them she
saw repeatedly, and reference is often made to them in letters.
 
C. M. T. TO THE REV. W. F. T. HAMILTON.
 
‘_June 19, 1883._
 
‘Shortly after writing to your dear Mother, I had myself a
visit from a Muhammadan. I remembered what I had just been
writing,[113] so soon plunged straight into the subject of
religion. I had seen Sheik A. twice before; and the first time
had had a good talk. Yesterday he listened very well, though I
ventured to contrast Muhammad a little with the Blessed One.
Sheik A. agreed to his wife visiting me here this evening,--I
sending a duli for her, as she is “pardah-nishin”; and as he
is going to L----, he _asked_ me for a letter of introduction
to some lady there, that she might visit his wife. This was
encouraging. Sheik A. took a cup of tea with me, and we parted
excellent friends. Perhaps a couple of hours afterwards my
dear Faqir, M., came to see me. He too had been having an
interview with Sheik A. “Much excitement,” said the Faqir. I
think that the Muhammadan had probably not been as much on
his good behaviour with the dark Madrassee as with the white
Englishwoman. There seemed to have been a hot discussion below.
Dear M. was inclined to reproach himself. “Harsh!--my loud
voice!” said he. Depend upon it, he went at his work like a
cannon. But all seemed to end well. I think he told me that
Sheik A. and he shook hands as they parted.’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_July 21, 1883._
 
‘How different it is writing a free and easy letter to you,
from a studied one like that to ----! I hope that my Laura
will not consider Char a conceited old woman, who likes no one
to find fault with her writings. But, you see, love, I know
_nothing_ of Mr. ----‘s capacity to act as critic.... I cannot
consent to walk in chains because Mr. ---- has a liberal
hand and a full purse. I am so glad that I refused pecuniary
recompense. In writing I must be _free_. I hope that I have not
made a mistake in putting in as many proverbs as I have done.
It was difficult to select. How inappropriate--clever as it
is!--would it have been to put in such as this, “The sieve said
to the needle, You have a hole in your tail”!’ ...
 
* * * * *
 
‘_Aug. 4._--Yes, love, I dare say that I was mistaken about
your entering on religious subjects soon with the young
Indians. I often doubt my own judgment. You see, it is a
disadvantage to me to have no one to correct me. This has been,
I think, my most lonely hot weather.
 
‘I am thankful that I do not hold the doctrine of
Perfectionism. I should be very miserable if I did; for
sometimes it seems to me as if I went backwards instead of
forwards. If I thought that a real child of God ought to be
perfect, I must come to the conclusion that I at least am not a
child of God. But I do not hold this view, and I see that the
holy Simeon wrote clearly and distinctly against it.’
 
* * * * *
 
‘ALEXANDRA SCHOOL, AMRITSAR, _Aug. 15, 1883_.
 
‘Here I am in this big palace, a good deal bigger than my
Batala one,--the guest of dear, loving Florrie.[114] ...
 
‘I have been taking my morning walk. I saw the old banyan
in the garden of what was my first Indian home with sweet
Margaret. The downward shoot which I named “Batala” has now the
size of the trunk of a tree.’
 
A visit of two or three weeks to her nephew at Dunga Gully followed,
where the children were a great enjoyment to her, letters home being
full of the pretty utterances of little Tudor and Beryl. On the 15th of
September, however, she once more gaily reported herself as ‘back again
in dear old Batala!’ and again the steady round of work went on as usual.
 
‘_Sept. 19._--A lady who knows a good deal about Muhammadanism,
and has read from the _Hadis_ (Muhammadan traditions), told me
something very curious that she had come upon....
 
‘There is a supposed prophecy of Muhammad, that in the latter
days a marvellous being, called Dajal, will appear. He will
perform marvels, bring a band of musicians, and whoever hears
the enchanting sound will follow him, leaving friends, parents,
etc.... I, after hearing this, inquired about Dajal from ----.
He, having been a learned Muhammadan, of course knew all about
the prophecy.... Dajal, who will become a king, is to have but
one eye, and ride an ass nine coss (about fourteen miles)
long!... Dajal is supposed to be an evil being, drawing downwards
those whom he influences. After him the Muhammadans expect the
Imam Mahdi;--and then, our Blessed Lord.
 
‘What extraordinary ideas these people have of our Saviour!
They think that He never died, but was caught up to Heaven, and
some one else crucified in His stead. This is a true doctrine
of the devil, for of course it strikes against all belief in
the Atonement. It would drive us from the very key and central
point of our faith. Often have I tried to show how completely
such a doctrine is against prophecy. Well, dear, this is not
all. The Muhammadans believe that after our Lord comes again,
_to convert the world to Muhammadanism_, He will die! I have
spoken with one who has actually _seen the place_ where _His
future tomb_ is to be at Medina! It is near Muhammad’s grave,
and is considered a very holy place. There is a handsome black
marble slab, bordered with white, and fine palings around.’
 
TO MISS LEILA HAMILTON.
 
‘_Sept. 24._
 
‘I have started to-day a temporary drawing-class for the five
poor little boys who have to stay here all during the holidays.
They are so pleased. It was a pleasure to me to see them
all seated, busy with pencil and paper, instead of lounging
about wearily. I did not succeed in making them do a bit of
carpentering for me.
 
‘The drawing lesson was a lesson to me, dear. After my own
fashion, it seemed to me a type, and--strange as it may seem to
you--a type bearing on the disputed subject of perfection in
this life. We are all children,--the sooner we realise this,
the better!--and the Lord sets us a copy; not a poor little
one, such as I placed before the boys, but a perfect, exquisite
one. Now, I imagine three of our boys drawing as nicely as they
can, and then coming to me with their copies.
 
‘The first is very happy indeed. “It is quite perfect!”
says he. “My dear child, _you_ may think so, but _I_ do not
think so. Take your measuring paper, and go over your copy
more carefully; and you will see that not all the lines are
straight.”
 
‘The second comes to me, crying. “I shall never manage my
copy,” sighs he. “It is not a quarter as good as the picture,
and yet I took such pains!” “Yes, dear boy, I see that you have
taken pains; and that is all that I require. You will do better
in time. But dry your tears. Did you really think that I should
be angry with you, because your drawing is not perfect?”
 
‘The third looks modestly into my face, to see if he has
pleased me. He knows that he has _tried_ to please me; and
though he has not succeeded in making a perfect drawing, he
_has_ succeeded in pleasing.
 
‘The third child is the one whom I should most wish to
resemble. He trusts me!’
 
TO MRS. HAMILTON.
 
‘_Oct. 14, 1883._
 
‘Do you ever note what is the first waking thought when
consciousness returns in the morning?... The other day my thought
on awakening was so very odd, that it made an impression by
its very strangeness. I could not imagine what could have put
it into my head, and you will smile when you read it. “_The
snuffers were of gold!_” I have not so much as seen snuffers
since I came to India.... Why on earth should my waking thought
be of them? “Well,” considered I, “snuffers are worthy of
mention in the Bible; and those in the Temple _were_ of gold.
What can I make out of this thought?”

댓글 없음: