2017년 3월 17일 금요일

Autobiography of Sir John Rennie, F.R.S. 12

Autobiography of Sir John Rennie, F.R.S. 12



I at once removed into a new lodging in a Greek house, which appeared
tolerably clean and comfortable but as usual I found it full of fleas,
which tormented me day and night. However, when I went to bed I hit upon
a plan to relieve me at least of a good many of them, which fortunately
proved successful. I placed a number of large plates filled with oil,
having a wick in them; I then lighted the wicks, and the fleas, attracted
by this, leaped into the plates, which in the morning were black with
them, and by this means I got rid of the greatest part, and at length
enjoyed some comfort.
 
I now determined to study the antiquities more at leisure, and set
regularly about it. Every morning, immediately after breakfast, I
proceeded to the Acropolis, and employed myself in drawing and measuring
the Parthenon, Erechtheum, and other buildings until dinner time; and
after, in the evening, I took walks and rides round the adjacent country.
Having finished the Acropolis, I then proceeded to the Temples of Theseus
and Jupiter Olympus, the Temple of the Winds, and the other antiquities,
which occupied me about a month. All these splendid specimens of
architecture have been so accurately described in the elaborate works of
Stuart, Cockerell, Dodwell, Gell, and others, that it is unnecessary to
describe them here. With regard to the Piræus, and the other ports of
Athens, I examined them minutely, and for plans and description of them I
refer to my work on ‘British and Foreign Harbours.’ I also saw a little
of Athenian society. Amongst others, I made the acquaintance of the Maid
of Athens (so celebrated by Byron), who was very pretty, ladylike, and
agreeable. I was also most kindly received by Mr. Gropeus, the Austrian
Consul, Mr. Logotheti, the English Consul, and by the well-known artist,
Mr. Luzieri, who had made some fine views of Athens for Lord Elgin.
 
The Turks treated the Greeks with great contempt and very little
ceremony. By way of illustration, I was present at the arrival of a new
Governor or Vaivode. His Excellency came mounted on a beautiful white
Arabian horse, surrounded by about a hundred well-mounted cavalry, all
in the magnificent Turkish costume of the day; next there followed the
hareem, in crimson-coloured carriages, each slung between two horses,
and escorted on foot by numerous eunuchs and blacks, all splendidly
attired; then the baggage, which was carried on the backs of horses, led
and guarded by Greeks, mixed with Turkish soldiers on foot. The whole
town turned out to witness the sight and welcome their new Governor, who
scarcely deigned to look at them; whilst the attendants going before
cleared the way with sticks, which they by no means used sparingly,
dealing their blows right and left on everyone within reach. A number
of Turkish lads amongst the crowd amused themselves by firing off their
guns and pistols, which were loaded with ball and shot. They took no care
which way they fired; sometimes in the air, sometimes on the ground, and
sometimes straight forward amongst the crowd; of course everybody got
out of the way, myself amongst the number. I saw one Greek who had his
leg broken by a shot from a Turkish lad near me, at which he, the Turk,
and the whole of his companions, shouted with joy, and seemed to think
it great fun: at this I could not restrain my indignation, and being
armed with a good stout stick, I rushed amongst them, striking right and
left: some Greeks tried to stop me, but I stuck to them, and had the
satisfaction of seeing that no more shots were fired except in the air.
Nothing impressed the Turks with so much respect as courage and vigour;
the more you humbled yourself, the more they bullied you, being anything
but fond of fighting. I found from experience that this was the only way
to treat them; for though frequently amongst them, and under the most
trying circumstances, I was rarely molested. Afterwards I witnessed the
entrance of the Pacha of Negropont, which was in the same style, but upon
a more extended scale.
 
I occasionally visited the convents, inhabited by a few worthy monks, who
kindly receive strangers and lodge and board them for a moderate sum. The
situation is excellent, being in the higher part of the town, close to
the beautiful remains of the Temple of the Winds, with a splendid view.
Athens at the time of my visit was a poor miserable place, without an
inn worthy of the name. It was surrounded by a crenellated wall, which
even the artillery of that day would have demolished with a few rounds
of shot. The Ilyssus and Cephisus are trifling streams, which, passing
on the south side of the town, discharge their waters into the sea a
few miles below. During summer there is scarcely any water, as it is
conducted away by different channels for irrigation, so that the beds of
these two rivulets are dry.
 
Having explored Athens sufficiently for my purpose, I determined to make
a tour of the Morea, and accordingly hired a small decked vessel of about
30 tons to cross the Ægean Sea, leaving Athens for the Piræus on the 25th
of March; and after waiting some time on board in the harbour, at seven
on the 25th started, reached Ægina at eight, landed after breakfast, and
proceeded on foot to the Temple of Jupiter, on a hill about a mile from
the shore. We spent here nearly three hours measuring and examining the
remains of this beautiful specimen of Greek architecture, and sketching
the surrounding picturesque scenery; then started for the town and
port of Ægina, whither I had sent the vessel to meet us, and was told
that the distance was only three or four miles, which turned out to be
nearly twelve, over a rough path, so that we did not reach Ægina until
nearly 6 P.M., very tired and hungry, having had no lunch. The Temple of
Jupiter is a fine specimen of the Doric, and is well described in Mr.
C. R. Cockerell’s excellent work, to which the reader is referred. The
small town of Ægina is situated about the middle of the west side of the
island, facing the Morea, from which it is separated by a channel about
eight or ten miles wide. The town and island of Ægina were governed by
a Vaivode, who had a few Turkish soldiers, and was inhabited chiefly
by fishermen and small traders. The surrounding country is hilly, with
fertile valleys producing olives, vines, and grain, and beans of several
kinds; and there are a few sheep and goats.
 
The next morning, the 26th March, I rose early and examined the port,
which consisted of two artificial harbours, formed by two piers, each
carried out from the shore, enclosing a considerable space of water, with
a depth of about 10 or 12 feet. This was made by the ancients, and Mr.
Cockerell gave me a plan of it, which is inserted in my work on ‘British
and Foreign Harbours.’ It was then blowing very hard north-west and
contrary; however, soon after noon the wind abated, when we embarked, and
arrived at the little port or bay of Pilascro, the ancient Epidauros, on
the opposite shore of the Morea, about five o’clock in the afternoon.
Here we disembarked, and walked round the place, and could only
discover what appeared to be the remains of a bath, and some mutilated
figures near it; and a little farther some similar remains, but nothing
remarkable; so that it would require considerable time to make anything
out of them. In Sir W. Gell’s ‘Itinerary of the Morea’ what is there is
well described.
 
We slept on board. On the 27th we rose at daylight, and found that the
baggage horses, Greek servants, and an excellent Arabian horse, which
I bought at Athens, and which I sent round by land, had arrived at
Epidauros. Having disembarked our baggage and discharged the vessel,
we loaded the baggage on the horses, after which we started for Napoli
di Romania, a small town situated on the Gulf of Argos, not many miles
distant from Epidauros, through an undulating, picturesque, and rich
country. On account of the guide taking the wrong road, we were obliged
to stop at the village of Tero, where there are a considerable number of
Roman and Greek remains.
 
On Friday, 28th March, we started at half-past six, and at noon reached
the picturesque fortress of Napoli di Romania, on the east side of the
Gulf of Argos, situated on a lofty hill commanding the entrance to
the gulf. The miserable town lay beneath the citadel, which, as well
as the town itself, was strongly fortified according to the Venetian
system, and was a place of considerable strength, garrisoned by a set
of bigoted Turkish troops, imbued with a thorough hatred of Christians,
so that I was strongly advised not to stop there. There was, however,
no alternative, as there was no other place near. I therefore rode into
the town, and took up my quarters at the English Vice-Consul’s, who
was a Greek. Immediately after my arrival I went out, and tried to get
into the citadel, in order to have a view of the town and surrounding
country, which was very fine, but the Turks refused me admittance in the
most insolent manner, and told me to get about my business as quickly as
possible. I found that it was of no use to attempt to proceed farther,
and returned at once to the town, and after having examined it, and found
nothing worthy of notice, returned to my lodgings. Here the Vice-Consul
came to me in a great fright, and said that the Turks had been much
annoyed at my arrival, and that I must depart directly; strongly urging
me to do so, as he said that he could not protect me, and if I stayed
he would not be responsible for the consequences. I replied that as it
was night it was too late to depart then, but that I would do so the
next morning at daybreak. To this he consented. I accordingly supped,
and went to bed. On the following morning my servant and myself were
in the saddle before daybreak, and were at the gates of the fortress
waiting for them to be opened. In Turkish fortresses at that day it was
the custom to make every foreigner and Greek dismount and walk over the
drawbridge. I thought that this was degrading, and determined not to do
it. As soon, therefore, as the gates were opened, and the drawbridge let
down, I started off at a rapid pace, and told Demetrius to follow me.
In passing the Turkish guard, consisting of three or four badly-armed
men, they called out to me to stop, which I disregarded, and galloped
off as fast as I could. I had scarcely proceeded a couple of hundred
yards when, turning round, I saw Demetrius in the hands of the Turks,
who were belabouring him with sticks, and trying to pull him off his
horse. He kicked and fought with all his might. I immediately rode back
with a loaded pistol in each hand, and dashed amongst the Turks, who
soon released my man, and spurring our horses we galloped off as hard as
possible, never pulling rein for a full mile, and then, finding we were
not followed, stopped and joined our men and baggage, whom I had left
behind in a small Greek house before I entered Nauplia the preceding
evening. Thus I got happily out of this affair, which might have been
rather serious; but I always found the best way was to show a bold front
to the Turks, and not allow them to insult you. After a little halt
we started again, and stopped to examine the ruins of the ancient city
of Tiryns, said to have been built by the Cyclopeans. These are very
curious and interesting, and are supposed to be the oldest specimens of
architecture in Greece. They are constructed of rough, only partially
hewn blocks of stone, rudely put together without cement. We have here
an attempt to construct a Gothic arch; but the stones are not radiated,
the beds being flat, each stone projecting over another until they meet
in the centre. These ruins are extensive, covering a surface of several
acres. They are well described and represented in Gell’s ‘Itinerary.’
 
From Tiryns I proceeded to Mycene, about 12 miles farther northward.
These ruins are also very extensive, and once formed the capital of
Agamemnon, with a small surrounding territory. The chief building worthy

댓글 없음: