2017년 3월 17일 금요일

Autobiography of Sir John Rennie, F.R.S. 17

Autobiography of Sir John Rennie, F.R.S. 17


the Jews and Armenians were the bankers, and had their counters or
stalls, with offices behind, where they transacted business to a large
amount. All the Consuls’ houses were in front of the quay, and were
substantial stone buildings of considerable extent, and, with the flags
of the respective nations which they represented, had a very imposing
appearance. In front of the quay were moored at times several hundreds
of vessels of all nations, and the immense number of boats and barges
passing continually between them and the shore, formed a most busy and
lively scene. There were several fine and extensive mosques, which no
Christian was ever permitted to enter; also many Greek churches, with
their gorgeously-bedaubed paintings representing innumerable saints. I
attended the Greek service at different times, but generally came away
anything but satisfied; their strong nasal tone in saying prayers, and
their indifferent music and singing, greatly disappointed me. Towards
the land the city was surrounded by a high wall, and at each gate was a
strong guard. At the south end there was a kind of citadel on a hill, in
which the Governor resided, and about half a mile from the city were the
cemeteries, deeply embosomed in cypress trees. Many of the tombs were
very pretty, of white, well-sculptured marble, with inscriptions from
the Koran engraved upon them, and they were tastefully ornamented with
garlands of flowers.
 
The exports from Smyrna are various, and its trade with Europe is
very extensive. The articles of export are figs, raisins, silk, oil,
bark, grain, &c.; figs and raisins, however, are the chief, and these
are exported to a vast amount, and certainly they are the finest in
the world. There are two crops, those which are ripe about the end of
July, which are mostly consumed in the country and neighbourhood; they
are most delicious, and extremely wholesome. The second crop is ripe
about the end of September. These are gathered, dipped in water, then
carefully packed in boxes and exported, chiefly to England, France, and
the north of Europe, and by the time of their arrival they are covered
with a rich coating of crystallized sugar, and are fit for use. At the
season of shipping the figs, which I witnessed, the greatest activity
is visible everywhere--the producers selling, the merchants buying,
the packing-case makers splitting the wood and making up the boxes--the
packers carefully stowing the figs--the men loading them into lighters,
by which they are transported to the fast-sailing vessels waiting for
them, which are generally clipper schooners of about 120 to 170 tons--the
Consuls’ offices besieged with numerous applicants for their clearance
papers--the whole combined to form a most active and industrious scene,
not omitting the numberless dinners and social parties at the different
hotels and coffee-houses, which are thronged with natives of all nations.
I walked about and witnessed this busy scene with much delight and
satisfaction. I must not omit the melons, both sweet and water, and
the grapes, which were the most delicious I ever tasted. The finest
raisins are those called sultanas grown at Scala Nova, a small port to
the south-west of Smyrna, which I visited. The grapes from which they
are made are especially delicious. The town is a poor place as regards
the buildings; but, notwithstanding, there is a considerable amount
of wealth. When I was there the town had recently been visited by a
severe attack of plague, and many of the houses were shut up, all the
inmates having died, and, having no heirs, the property belonged to the
Government.
 
Whilst I was at Smyrna the British Consul was Mr. Werry, a fine old
gentleman of about sixty-five, with considerable vigour and talent, just
the man for the place. All British subjects were under his protection,
amongst whom were a considerable number from the Ionian Islands, who
were the most troublesome and daring vagabonds, committing all Sorts
of crimes, and mixed up with every row in the place; these rows daily
occurred, and bloodshed and murder not unfrequently was the consequence.
Old Werry was the arbiter, and delivered his judgments with great
impartiality and justice. The Turks also were very troublesome, and
frequently attempted acts of great barbarity. Werry, however, was equal
to the occasion, and at such times went direct to the Governor and
claimed an audience; he was at once admitted and seated at the head of
the divan; then he claimed protection for his British subjects; and
whenever the Governor demurred, Werry drew his sword, threw his hat
down on the floor, and threatened him with a British frigate to blow
up the town before his eyes. The Governor would try to pacify him by
offering pipes and coffee, and soothing words, which Werry treated with
contempt, and nothing would do but releasing the prisoners, which was
soon effected. Then Werry strode off in triumph, scarcely condescending
to return the Governor’s salute. The Turks looked upon him as a madman;
but they have always entertained the greatest respect for him, and
allowed him to have his way, invariably calling him the _mad Consul_.
Nevertheless, he was a most kind and worthy man, greatly respected and
liked by his countrymen, the other consuls, and by the whole population.
He received me with the greatest kindness and hospitality. I was a
frequent visitor at his house, both in town and at his country seat,
Bridjar, about nine miles distant to the south-east.
 
Whilst at Smyrna I made acquaintance with my countryman, Mr. (afterwards
Professor) Donaldson, a M. Parke, and another French architect, who had
just returned to Smyrna after a very successful exploration of some of
the most remarkable ruins of the ancient cities of Asia Minor, and their
portfolios were filled with drawings of these most interesting relics of
antiquity. I passed several happy days in their company, and Donaldson
most kindly made out for me a map by which I might be enabled to visit
these remarkable ruins; I therefore determined to follow it out as
nearly as possible without delay, and took leave of them with many thanks.
 
On the next day, having obtained the usual firman, I started, in company
with my faithful servant Demetrius, to explore some of the ruins of
Ionia, with a Turkish surgee, or guide, a janissary, and a couple of
baggage horses, leaving my heavy baggage at Smyrna. After passing through
a wild, rich, and almost uncultivated country, we reached Aiasolok, on
the Meander, near the ruins of Ephesus, in the evening, and took up
our quarters in a Turkish caravanserai. Demetrius soon prepared a good
supper, laid our mattresses, and we both slept soundly until the morning.
Every inmate was up transacting his business soon after daybreak, and I
at once sallied forth to examine the ruins of Ephesus. This celebrated
city was situated on the left bank of the Meander, at the base of an
elevated ridge of hills. The only remains which we could distinctly make
out was the amphitheatre, of the rest little could be discovered; but
numerous fragments of columns, cornices, blocks of masonry, pottery,
brickwork, &c., lay scattered about. I made a sketch of the whole from
the best place I could find. The ruins of Ephesus formed the foreground,
with the Meander and its numerous windings and the marshy valley flanked
by the mountains on each side, whilst in the background was the miserable
town of Aiasolok, with its fortress and mosque on a conical hill above
it, backed by a wild range of mountains of considerable elevation, which
completed the view. The scene was most picturesque, replete with solitary
grandeur and desolation. The stillness was something remarkable; nothing
was seen moving, except at rare intervals a long line of camels laden
with merchandise, led by their guide, smoking his pipe, and mounted on
a donkey; or here and there a solitary heron fishing amongst the reeds
of the Meander, and flocks of wild ducks, which took to flight at the
slightest disturbance. It was singular and melancholy to remark the ruins
of the three most celebrated of the Churches of the world before me,
namely, those of the ancient Greeks, Romans, and Christians, dominated
over by the Mahometan mosque. I remained alone lost in contemplating this
solemn and desolate scene for two or three hours, reflecting upon the
vicissitudes and instability of human grandeur, and walked slowly back to
the caravanserai at Aiasolok, where I took my breakfast, and then started
on my journey. We slowly wound our way through the Pass between the
mountains at the back of Aiasolok, and descended into the plain of the
ancient Magnesia, the site of one of the seven Churches, through which
two streams flow sluggishly to the sea, and reached the ruins about a
couple of hours before sunset. I picketed my horse here whilst I examined
the ruins, and sent Demetrius forward with the other horses and baggage
to a village, where I proposed to pass the night, ordering Demetrius to
have supper ready by my arrival.
 
The principal building is the hippodrome, which was tolerably perfect,
and I took some pains to measure it accurately, which occupied me about
two hours. There was nothing else worthy of remark, although there
were numerous fragments of buildings scattered around. I met a Turkish
Aga, handsomely accoutred and well mounted, attended by a servant, who
watched my movements with considerable attention, and politely accosted
me. Having finished my work, I mounted and galloped off to the place
of my rendezvous as quickly as possible. Passing through the adjacent
forest I observed something like hammocks slung to the trees about 10
or 12 feet from the ground; these, I learned, were the sleeping places
of the shepherds who attended their flocks in the neighbourhood, and as
there were no habitations near, they slept in these hammocks to keep
themselves out of the influence of the malaria, which is very fatal in
these parts.
 
About sunset I reached my destination, which was situated at the head of
a valley surrounded by lofty mountains. There was a cluster of miserable
mud huts, but no place fit to sleep in, so Demetrius was obliged to take
possession of an open shed, with a bare mud hut adjoining, in which he
placed the baggage, spread my mattress in the shed, and laid out the
table attached to my canteen in the open air in front, upon which he had
got ready a tolerably good supper. This canteen, it should be mentioned,
was a very smart affair; all the utensils were plated on the outside
and gilt on the inside, and, being quite new, had a very stylish and
attractive appearance: it was much finer than I wanted, and had been
sent out from England by my brother. No sooner had I sat down to supper,
than I was surrounded by a considerable number of Kurds, wild-looking
fellows, armed to the teeth, who had come from their own country with
their flocks, for the rich pasture which this country afforded. Their
encampment was close by. They appeared very friendly, and admired my
turn-out with great satisfaction, thinking, no doubt, that it was real
gold and silver. I treated them very courteously, gave them wine, coffee,
and tobacco, for which they appeared very thankful, and we parted, as
I thought, excellent friends. It was a fine summer evening, and soon
after became dark. The Kurds retired with many thanks, and being tired
I lay down for the night on my mattress without taking off my clothes,
whilst Demetrius and the other servants were in front, and the horses
picketed before them, having only their girths slackened, so that we
were ready for a start at any alarm. I examined my pistols, my men did
the same, and we all retired; but I was very restless and feverish, and
could not sleep, although excessively weary. I was continually roused
by the barking of the great mastiffs which were kept by the shepherds
to drive off the wolves and panthers in the vicinity. At last, towards
midnight, I fell fast asleep. I awoke all of a sudden to find two
fierce-looking Kurds by my side, one with a pistol close to my head, the
other flaring a lighted torch in my face, with one hand thrust under my

댓글 없음: