2017년 3월 17일 금요일

Autobiography of Sir John Rennie, F.R.S. 18

Autobiography of Sir John Rennie, F.R.S. 18



and soon got out of their reach. They did not follow us, either being
deterred by the stout resistance we had made, or being satisfied with
the booty which they had got. To have remained longer would have been
madness, for we should soon have been overpowered, and probably all
murdered, as there were at least thirty or forty of them, and we were
only five. We never pulled bridle until we had made about six or eight
miles; it was then broad daylight, and the sun was just rising above
the horizon; we continued, however, at a smart pace, passing through a
rich and partially cultivated valley, until, about seven o’clock in the
morning, we reached a small town, where the Aga, or Turkish Governor
of the district resided. Here we stopped at the caravanserai, tolerably
tired with our morning’s ride of about seventeen miles, and heartily
thankful for our providential escape. After a good wash, and breakfast,
I sent my janissary, a gallant fellow, to demand an audience of the
Aga, which he granted at midday. I went accordingly, showed my firman,
and then related my story by means of an interpreter. The Aga was a
fine-looking man, about forty, surrounded by his divan and a number of
well-armed Tartars and guards. He listened to my tale with the utmost
gravity and attention, and then burst out into a violent rage at the
indignity which I had suffered, and said that such an insult to an
English gentleman had never occurred before in his district, and he would
lose no time in bringing the offenders to justice. He was most particular
in inquiring as to the place where the offence had occurred, and the
number and description of my assailants, and then ordered a strong body
of well-armed and well-mounted Tartars to the place, with strict orders
to bring them to him immediately; in the meantime he ordered coffee and
pipes to be served, and offered me any money I required. He also asked
me where I was going. I told him that I was going southwards for two or
three days. He then said that upon my return he should be happy to see me
again, when he would have all the culprits in custody for me, and if I
could identify them he would have their heads taken off directly. I took
my leave, with many thanks for his courtesy; to which he replied, with
the greatest civility, that he was too happy to be of any service to an
Englishman. I left soon afterwards, and crossed another mountain ridge,
passing through a wild, desolate country, and descended into a fertile
valley, through which a small river wound its tortuous course. On the
way I examined the ruins of the ancient Priene, seated on a hill on the
right side of the valley. Here I saw considerable remains of some temples
of the Ionic order, besides the relics of numerous other buildings, which
it was very difficult to define. This city was surrounded by a strong
wall of massive masonry, considerable remains of which were visible.
We crossed the river by a ford, and took up our quarters for the night
amongst the ruins of Miletus. There were only a few scattered wretched
hovels in the vicinity, but none of them fit for our accommodation; I
therefore preferred the open air, and determined to bivouac amongst the
ruins; as I had already provided myself and my people with mattresses and
coverlets, and a good supply of provisions, I felt myself comfortable and
independent. I was roused about daybreak by something tugging hard at my
pillow; upon jumping up I descried a large wolf close by, with several
more near him. I immediately laid hold of a stout stick, and dealt him
a heavy blow on the head. This aroused Demetrius and the servants, who
fired several shots at the other wolves, and they all scampered off as
quickly as possible, so that we had no further molestation.
 
Early in the morning I set about examining the ruins, of which there
were but few; the principal was the theatre, but even of this, except
some massive walls, there was little remaining. I made a sketch, with
the Lake Bofi and the mountains behind it for a background, the whole
forming a very beautiful picture. We then went on to Yirondi, which we
reached about four o’clock in the afternoon, and got comfortable quarters
in the caravanserai. The next morning I proceeded to examine the ruins
of the celebrated Temple of Apollo Didymæus. This is one of the largest
and most magnificent specimens of the Ionic order, and well worthy of
the attention of every traveller who takes an interest in architecture.
I was much pleased with and instructed by it. Of the front columns
several were still standing, and numerous fragmentary blocks of pillars,
entablature, pediment, and substructure lay scattered all around, the
whole being of the most elaborate workmanship. When entire it must have
been a very magnificent work of art, as the remains evidently show.
 
After finishing my examination, I determined to return to Smyrna as
quickly as possible, having much to do before my tour was completed. I
accordingly started soon after midday, although the weather was very hot,
and the next day I sent my janissary to request an audience of the Aga,
which he granted me at midday. He then said that he had captured all the
Kurds, and ordered them to be brought from the prison. Accordingly the
whole of them, amounting to about thirty in number, were produced, and
marched before me slowly, when the Aga asked me if I could recognize
any of them, in which case he would take care that justice should be
administered. I was pretty well aware what this justice would be, namely,
that their heads would be taken off if I recognized them. I certainly
remembered several of their faces, but having been robbed only of a
few articles, worth about eighty pounds, I did not consider that the
punishment of death could be put in comparison with my loss, although it
is true they would have murdered me if they could. I therefore resolved
to save them, as they had already suffered sufficiently by being confined
in a miserable dungeon with scarcely any food for four days. They were
accordingly discharged, having been, as I understood, pretty well
punished, in addition to their imprisonment, by heavy fines, and perhaps
sundry stripes into the bargain, so that it was not likely that they
would attack an Englishman again. The Tartars had recovered several of my
lost things; for this I made them a handsome acknowledgment, with which
they were much pleased, and gave me many thanks. I also rendered my best
thanks to the Aga, and we parted upon the most amicable terms.
 
Having returned to Smyrna, I there met my friend Scott, whom I had
previously known at Athens, and we resolved to proceed at once to
Constantinople by land. The first night we reached the modern Magnesia,
a large town situated on a plain, surrounded by rude crenellated walls,
inhabited chiefly by a Turkish population, and containing nothing worthy
of remark. The following morning we proceeded through an open undulating
country, very fertile, but, as usual, only partially cultivated. Here
and there were extensive plains, some only tenanted by shepherds
tending their large flocks of goats, cattle, and sheep, others growing
cotton, maize, corn, beans, and tobacco, occasionally interspersed with
vineyards; the inhabitants looked poor and miserable, and the villages
and towns wore the same appearance.
 
After a long, hard day’s ride of eighteen hours, we came in sight of
Broussa, the ancient capital of the Turks. The surrounding country was
rich and beautiful, and covered with luxurious gardens, intermixed with
comfortable villas and houses; the city, with its numerous mosques and
towering minarets, lay in the foreground; whilst the magnificent Mount
Olympus, above 7000 feet high, rearing his head above the clouds, formed
a noble background. When within a mile of the city I felt very tired and
thirsty. Just then a countryman approached, and offered us some bunches
of magnificent grapes, which I accepted with much gratification, and
gave him a handsome present. I devoured them voraciously. We reached the
caravanserai at sunset, and as there were a great number of travellers,
we got but poor accommodation. I awoke about three in the morning with
a violent diarrhœa, which continually increased, until I became so
exhausted that I could scarcely move. It turned out to be dysentery, and
my friends considered that it must end fatally. Before leaving England
I had consulted my friend, the late distinguished Dr. James Johnson, as
to what was to be done under similar circumstances, and he recommended
large doses of calomel as the only and best means of cure. I had provided
myself with this, and took it accordingly, with the assistance of which
I rallied considerably, and we then determined to proceed at once to
Mondania, on the shores of the Sea of Marmora, where we should find much
better accommodation. Off, therefore, we went, without being able to see
anything further of the beauties of Broussa. I was much fatigued with
the journey, and immediately after our arrival took to my bed. Here the
dysentery came on more violently than ever. I again had recourse to a
large dose of calomel, and ordered Demetrius to get some chicken broth
as soon as possible. This the good fellow got ready without delay. I
swallowed as much as I could, and then fell back on my mattress perfectly
exhausted. I was delirious for four or five hours; but at the end of
that time I broke out into a violent perspiration; the calomel had done
its work effectually, and I became conscious and tranquil, although very
weak. The disease, however, had been arrested, and I recovered rapidly.
 
I reached Constantinople at last by sea, and after a day or two of repose
I regained my strength and sallied forth with a janissary to examine
the Moslem capital. I first paid a visit to our ambassador, Mr. Frere.
He received me most kindly, and asked me to dinner the next day. The
entertainment was sumptuous, and I spent a delightful evening. I was
afterwards frequently invited to this most hospitable house, and always
received the same kind attention, ever returning from it both amused and
instructed. Mr. Frere was a very accomplished, unassuming gentleman,
ever ready to protect his countrymen; he discharged his onerous duties
in such a manner as to gain the respect of the Turks (which was very
difficult in those days), as well as that of the _corps diplomatique_
and foreigners of every nation, and the respect and affection of his own
countrymen. I also frequently visited the hospitable house of our worthy
and most excellent Consul, General Cartwright. He was a man above the
common order, and no one was better calculated to deal with the Turks;
frank, open, courageous, honest, and decided, understanding thoroughly
the people he had to deal with, and never flinching from his duties,
firmly upholding his countrymen when right, but no less inflexible in
refusing his support when wrong. He was hospitable and sociable to a
degree, yet withal never neglected the least of his duties, and was
universally respected and beloved.
 
Constantinople has been often described, and is now so well known that
I need not weary my reader with any detailed description. But as I was
there at a time when the reforms of the Sultan Mahmoud had not long
commenced; when the janissaries were still in existence; when the old
Turkish bigotry, insolence, and fanaticism was at its height; when the
fierce vigour which had formerly carried out its conquests was nearly
extinct, and European ideas and civilization had not yet dawned; when, in
short, the Government was most corrupt, and the whole Turkish population
sunk in indolence and sensuality, a few rough notes of what I then saw
may perhaps not be unacceptable.
 
Amongst the sights during my short stay was the marriage of one of the
Sultan’s daughters, which was made the occasion of great fêtes, and
amongst others a grand tournament or display of djerid. This consisted
of a number of horsemen extremely well mounted, each armed with a short
blunted dart, which they hurled at one another, and those who received
the greatest number of hits were declared to be losers The game was very
exciting, and the display of horsemanship and the activity and skill of

댓글 없음: